Off-Topic :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All which isn't K-Meleon related. 
Yep, and here it comes XP die hard users
Posted by: JohnHell
Date: September 29, 2016 10:17PM

So, reported by ghacks.net, quoting a bug suggestion (so not confirmed yet) in the Mozilla's bug tracker (link inside the page), version 52 ESR, not only will be the latest supporting NPAPI plugins, but XP and Vista as well.

http://www.ghacks.net/2016/09/27/firefox-53-no-support-for-windows-xp-or-vista

It's incredible how Internet, browsers actually, are pushing people to upgrade their trusted operative systems.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Yep, and here it comes XP die hard users
Posted by: rodocop
Date: September 30, 2016 10:54PM

KM 75 based on 31ESR is almost fully actual for now.

KM 78 (?) based on 52ESR will be actual for years until most of XP-driven PCs will die ;-)

Posted by: Mala Okeh
Date: October 01, 2016 12:46PM

Where can this KM 78 be found?

Thx a lot

Mala

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: October 01, 2016 02:47PM

Mala Okeh

Thx a lot

Mala

That was a guess by rodocop. That for 52 ESR Gecko engine, K-meleon would be at 78 version, or so (from there the interrogation symbol). If Dorian reappears... confused smiley

@rodocop, true that 52 ESR will have support until first half of 2018. But it isn't less true that sites requests newer standards, so I wouldn't give 1, or maybe 2 more years, till 2019-2020, the survival of Gecko 52 engine.

At least for the sites here, that looks that they are in the competition for who has "it" larger.

Posted by: hermes
Date: October 01, 2016 09:22PM

If the urge to the aid of the virtual machines, and the processor supports hardware virtualization, you can still use your favorite decade platform as the main host OS without compromising functionality in the work.

It is not the correct example, but in Russian K-Meleon Forum, under development section, described his successful experience in launching 76RC on the Windows98 is a similar method. The host machine has been Celeron 500 MHz c MMX (without SSE) SDRAM 128 MB.
(sorry for google translate https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ru&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=ru&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fforum.geckoworld.ru%2Findex.php%2Ftopic%2C239746.0.html&edit-text=)

By the way, testing the server hypervisors that put themselves as operating systems. And so they can set your favorite NT5x (I use datacenter 2003) and get the best of both worlds.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2016 09:30PM by hermes.

Posted by: 4td8s
Date: October 04, 2016 05:10PM

Mala Okeh

Thx a lot

Mala

it's not available yet

Posted by: guenter
Date: October 13, 2016 05:53PM

channelnomics.eu
Globally, the market was hit by weak consumer demand in emerging markets and the fact that consumers are extending the lifetime of their PCs, Gartner principal analyst Mikako Kitagawa said.

"According to our 2016 personal technology survey, the majority of consumers own, and use, at least three different types of devices in mature markets," she said. "Among these devices, the PC is not a high-priority device for the majority of consumers, so they do not feel the need to upgrade their PCs as often as they used to. Some may never decide to upgrade to a PC again."

That are reasons for the abo model of windows 10.

Declining new PC. Many PC just good enough.
But that is already true for many XP systems.

Since some countries still have XP user bases close to 30% we will see whether XP is dying fast is the last word. Note that while google chrome has EOL for XP support some Russian and Chinese variants of Chrome still support it.

Win 2000 is also still lingering among die-hard aficionados.

p.s. Just in case some like me do not know Gartner.

Wikipedia says.

Gartner, Inc. is an American research and advisory firm providing information technology related insight for IT and other business leaders. Its headquarters are in Stamford, Connecticut, United States.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2016 05:57PM by guenter.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: December 25, 2016 01:35PM
Posted by: Mikk
Date: December 25, 2016 06:08PM

Seems also Firefox goes in the direction, submissively to the wannabe authorities to support only the Microsoft spyware :|sad smiley

It's nothing new by Mozilla, efforts to ignore the needs of users. Remember their idea, to remove the possibility to switch JavaScript off, for napless reasons.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2016 06:09PM by Mikk.

Posted by: guenter
Date: December 26, 2016 04:26PM

Looks I will use an old browser after September 2017.

While in 2017 the XP system hardware will be still good enough for surfing.

While untested XP security updates can still be obtained from MS till 2019.

p.s. It is sad that both browser engines and certain PC hardware are the monopoly of one country.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2016 04:30PM by guenter.

Posted by: msea
Date: January 05, 2017 04:19PM

I just looked over this thread and read the link to the article about Mozilla. So basically... don't shop or having anything of value on older laptops/computers. Treat them like a library computer or a chromebook. That's what I've been doing anyhow. So will these changes affect me in any way?

I have two old Win XP machines that I enjoy tinkering with and use daily. I figure if I buy a lawnmower, I use it till it breaks down or gets so dull it doesn't cut grass. It should be the same with computers... smiling smiley

It is a bit sickening how Microsoft, especially, uses Orwellian newspeak about how we should buy a new computer for Win 10... "we will be happier." Yeah, if we can afford to keep up, that is.

Posted by: Mikk
Date: January 06, 2017 07:56PM

msea
It is a bit sickening how Microsoft, especially, uses Orwellian newspeak about how we should buy a new computer for Win 10... "we will be happier." Yeah, if we can afford to keep up, that is.
Microsoft is "only" a part of the whole system, of course all but not negligible. People purged the communist totality, not for to wellcome another one instaed of it. People should disobey this new digital totality too. (Doesn't mean to refuse the digital technology as a whole, but the elements leading to the total controlling of the human beeings.)

Posted by: msea
Date: January 06, 2017 10:52PM

Mikk
Doesn't mean to refuse the digital technology as a whole, but the elements leading to the total controlling of the human beeings.)

I think the tension you outline has pretty much always been with us and always will be. Individualism vs. the whole.

I guess what we need is another operating system that is easy, cheap or free, and can rival MS. I haven't tried Ubuntu. But sometimes I'm tempted. I actually know next to nothing about Linux.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2017 10:55PM by msea.

Posted by: JujuLand
Date: January 15, 2017 08:46AM

Continue for Linux thread here.

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2017 08:48AM by JujuLand.

Posted by: smallhagrid
Date: January 15, 2017 06:17PM

Good !!!:
rodocop
KM 75 based on 31ESR is almost fully actual for now.
KM 78 (?) based on 52ESR will be actual for years until most of XP-driven PCs will die ;-)
XP as a VM as a guest of Linux works faster & better than it did natively.
(Win2KPro as a VM is also still practical & also runs very, very well.)

FF has already, or is becoming nothing more than a chrome clone - no thanks.

Driving folks towards brain-dead apps may work for the majority, but some of us will stick with the real stuff on their desktop PCs rather than centering their whole life on the screen of a smartphone (or something just like one).

My phone is a PHONE, that is good enough for me.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: January 15, 2017 08:24PM

smallhagrid
My phone is a PHONE, that is good enough for me.

I can support that.

Posted by: c-sanchez
Date: January 15, 2017 08:28PM

A interesting project is One-Core-API, on github also
As can read on the first link, your task for now is to make later Chrome version work on XP/2003
Althought don't forget for now we can use Advance Chrome as a viable option smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2017 08:28PM by c-sanchez.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.