Off-Topic :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All which isn't K-Meleon related. 
Self-hosted Goodies.
Posted by: smallhagrid
Date: November 09, 2016 06:31PM

Hello Folks.
For some years I have had some shared hosting & have had desires to make more use of it - but have found that most really useful self-hosted stuff has requirements that are beyond what mere shared hosted space will allow.

Yes, there are bunches of things that CAN be done using the Softaculous installer and such, and these very common things are good if you want to make a blog, have a photo gallery, etc. .

My desires are a bit...different than that.
Live editing via browser is a big one for me - both for site content and for personal note keeping.

Ever try checking out all the different CMSs ??
I did - what a headache !!!

There must be 1000 of them (at least), and even after eliminating the non-free ones, so many have overly esoteric installation steps & requirements that it is really quite absurd.
Root access to install via CLI ?!? Not for shared hosted space, sorry.

And then there are so many which LOOK like they are still around, but are actually abandoned - even by their (formerly) devout users.
Of the 100 or so that remain after all that - well - frankly, most of them center upon blogging and markup and just...plain...usually...suck.

Note keeping online ??
Unless one is happy with something from some service's subscription account - well, fuggedaboudit.

OK - rant is off now - mainly because I don't want everyone to quit reading this before reaching the best part...which is:

I'm doing it as I've wished to, now.

1st solution:
Jotter ( https://github.com/yosko/jotter )
Utterly simple to get onto shared hosting, provides live, in-browser editing, keeps notes in a tree structure made by the user to his or her liking.
Perfect !!

2nd solution:
Zimplit ( http://www.zimplit.com/index.html )
Live editing & creation of web pages via browser, runs from your own hosted space.

Worthy of note is that the Zimplit folks want desperately for users to join and pay for something that is offered by them for free - so to get it one must dig through several pages of joining/selling BS in order to find this:
http://www.zimplit.com/download/zimplit_cms_3.0_standalone.zip
From there all you do is upload & extract it where you want it in your space - open that URL, create a log-in...and make stuff...done.

Neither of the above is very sophisticated or fancy, nor do they provide much security - but that is fine by me as I do not seek fancy stuff & can make my own security settings easily enough.

There are some few other things I have tried & used in the past, but these 2 have broken through a barrier which has been nagging at me for years:
Why can't we just work with stuff we USE online - in & from our own spaces - easily & from within the browser ?!?
This idea seems like it should be natural enough - but it ain't.

Now, having crossed this barrier - whether I am using Linux, win-doze, or Android I can get to my online stuff and do with it as I like, pretty much from anyplace.

Almost online nirvana, yes ??

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2016 06:37PM by smallhagrid.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Self-hosted Goodies.
Posted by: rodocop
Date: November 09, 2016 11:17PM

I use simplenote.com and weebly.com respectively.

They aren't self-hosted though. But they do satisfy me ;-)

Options: ReplyQuote

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.