Off-Topic :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All which isn't K-Meleon related. 
The K-Meleon Club
Posted by: rodocop
Date: November 17, 2016 02:21PM

Ladies and Gentleman!

I'm very glad to know all of you here in our Community! Sometimes here and there we do say something about ourselves, but in general we don't know each other rather close.

Well - it's usual internet fenomenon and it's great on it's own way. Some portion of virtuality and anonimity works well but maybe you could wish to know more.

So I'd dare to suggest start this thread as a kind of Club.
Here you can (only if you want) tell us about yourself, making some part of your personage more open.
No requirements. No format. No questionnaire. No any list. Just what you want.

Here I go:

My name is Rodion (like Raskolnikov fron Crime and Punishment). This is not given in his honour but this naming was really karmiс :cool:

I'm 43. I'm russian. I live in Saint-Petersburg in that district unofficially named 'St.Petersburg of Dostoevsky' - this is the place where most of his stories had place and most famous heroes live and act ;-)
(If you have seen the BBC movie 'Crime and Punishment' - then you're well acquainted with my birthplace: that film was shot all around my paternal house. Even Raskolnikov's 'porch' was placed right under my windows ;-) I've even seen the shootings from my appartment directly, waking up at mornings
(film was marked as'2002' but it was really shot in 1995).

What else? I studied biology (genetics) in SPb State University.
Then i work for about 20 years in publishing, advertisement and different media.

My first periodical was the price-oriented newsletter about PC's and IT (so it was named 'Computer Price') and there I started my way in deep of IT agenda - mostly about the software and security issues.

That was 2001 when I discovered K-Meleon. I was looking for the replacement for Netscape reaching EOL that days. IE was not an option and I was heavily searching the web for alternative browsers.
KM was 0.7 and it had no support for cyrillic encodings, so I've just marked it for monotoring and went to 'Phoenix-Firebird-Firefox' (so were names of the Mozilla's project in versions 0.5-1.0).
Some day later I went back to KM and found it supports i18n now. So when the first russian maintainer Quicksilver Tears created first russian custom build - K-Meleon Pro 1.02 - this one immediately received the status of my default browser for all next time ;-)

Well... I'm married for almost 15 years (and more than 20 unofficially) and my daughter is 14 now.

P.S. This thread was inspired by the 'Favorite OSs" poll. Older OSes are so strongly in top there that I wonder about how old we all are ;-)

And while we are more or less aged - we should have something we can tell and want to tell about ourselves.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The K-Meleon Club
Posted by: msea
Date: January 08, 2017 02:30PM

I tried to read Crime and Punishment but didn't get too far. All I remember is some guy trying to avoid his landlady because he didn't want to pay his rent! (or mabye I'm confusing it with another classic).

The way my mind works, I prefer to watch a movie or TV show. Novels are a type of information processing that, to me, seems laborious. Linear script versus audio-visual. I'm more audio-visual.

Not everyone would agree with me of course.. some love novels and I get that.

So I am a Canadian. I was born here and love my country. It's funny being in such close proximity to the US. Before I went there I thought we were more or less the same. But after actually going there, I realized there are some real differences... generally speaking, of course. There are always exceptions... on both sides of the border.

As a kid I have always admired the dream of people from all countries getting along. So I am not xenophobic. However, I believe in capitalist/democratic ideals. Corruption and white collar crime are relatively new ideas to me. I grew up naive. But i believe these mar all countries. Not just the ones headlined on the news. And any discussion about economics or politics that overlooks corruption and white collar crime is mostly fantasyland, imo.

So I haven't said much about myself here except for my interests. Or some of them. I have a lot of interests.

Cheers! smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.