Off-Topic :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All which isn't K-Meleon related. 
Advance Chrome
Posted by: c-sanchez
Date: December 07, 2016 04:01PM

Hi folks, i make this post to show a Chrome fork that you may not know.
I know there are many chrome forks, but this one for me is special smiling smiley

At momment Advance Chrome have two versions, one with same #!&!?#" things from latest Google version and with own improvements.
And other build without ugly restrictions from Google.

Advance Chrome 56.0.2910.0 Features:

This build is almost stock and does not support NPAPI, JAVA, GDI, Silverlight and Windows XP... same as latest Google version but with important improvements.

* Improved download system.
* No support for Windows XP.
* No support for NPAPI plugins like JAVA, Silverlight...
* Latest Beta WebKit with new HTML5 features.
* Disabled Blurry fonts created by DirectWrite and Skia.
* All Chrome stock features working.

Advance Chrome 513.0.8940.0 Features:

This custom build is special since it contains a mix of different branches, mostly from chrome version 51 and some parts of versions 54 and 48.

I don't like recent chrome versions because they are disabling everything and making it a piece of shit, when will they stop from ruining the best browser?

This is the version I will use until Google stops their god like mode that rules the world and decides what works or what not, do not fix something that is not broken and if you do then there is a big chance that it will be worse than before, this is really happening to Google right now.

* Improved download system.
* Built for stability and compatibility.
* DirectWrite can be disabled using chrome://flags
* Disabled Blurry fonts created by DirectWrite and Skia.
* Enabled NPAPI, this version runs JAVA and Silverlight.
* Enabled Windows XP support.
* Stable WebKit / Blink.
* All Chrome stock features working.
This is my favorite Chrome build, although have some cons.
* No Material Design. (to who cares?) was nessesary to continue supporting Windows XP, at least for me is more important the XP support grinning smiley
* No Webassembly
* No Hardware acceleration.

IMHO was a great work this Chrome build, considering all restrictions on Chrome code. Thanks google (:

If wish can check Advance Chrome: http://browser.taokaizen.com/

And are wellcome to Advance Chrome forum at: http://browser.taokaizen.com/forum/

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Advance Chrome
Posted by: guenter
Date: December 09, 2016 12:51PM

Nice find - a chromium version without the usual annoyances. :cool:

p.s. Baidoo (.ch), yandex (.ru)... perhaps some more in countries that have bigger xp userbase still produce 32 bit xp versions. But my baidu / Spark.exe set prefs without asking, kept phoning home for updates, put files in autostart...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2016 12:52PM by guenter.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: December 09, 2016 02:48PM

Still recommending TheWorld Browser 7.

The best frugal Chrome without max of Chrome ;-) Even without extensions!

Posted by: foliator
Date: December 09, 2016 04:45PM

rodocop

No need to install Pepper Flash, either. On the first launch of TheWorld 7, it automatically downloads the Pepper Flash plugin to the application folder and activates it, provided the computer is online at the time, of course. If it isn't, Flash will be downloaded the next time the browser is used online.

It also doesn't create Chrome's annoying "Chromium" folder under AppData\Local. The profile folder is created in TheWorld's application folder, so other than one small registry key, it's almost a portable browser.

A couple of tips, however:

1) Don't bother going to the Chinese website to download the program unless you can read Chinese. Instead, search for the app in Softpedia and download it from there.

2) The download is an .EXE, but you don't need to run the installer if you have 7-Zip. Just navigate to your download folder in 7-Zip, right-click that .EXE file and choose to "Open Inside". You'll then see a .7z archive. Inside the archive is a folder with the executable and the rest of the required files, which you can extract to the folder of your choice.

... but I still prefer KM 75 as my default browser. grinning smiley

---
Gerry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2016 04:47PM by foliator.

Posted by: c-sanchez
Date: December 09, 2016 07:04PM

guenter
Nice find - a chromium version without the usual annoyances. cool smiley
Yeah, for me is very nice to see modern web browsers still supporting XP.

I tryed the followings chrome based at moment:
Yandex have a cool interface, the requirements seem to be minor to Chrome, although have "yandex sync" instead the google sync. at least i use much the google sync, but well. and is a bit fool have a account to each browser. yandex, uc, google, and opera too? etc.

UC Browser have a really cool interface too, the system resources are smaller than Chrome, i think also against Yandex too.
The cons, some annoying background services? i don't like have extra process for nothing tongue sticking out smiley
Neither has google sync but UC Sync...

rodocop

Works very good, very light system resource usage, more considering is a Chrome.
Althought is a Chrome 48 this istill working ok, i guess The World Browser 7 is a Chrome 48 with mixtures of new versiones.
But... no extensions? haha why hell this?
Don't have google sync but a chinese synchronization unknown for me confused smiley what is the sense?

foliator
No need to install Pepper Flash, either. On the first launch of TheWorld 7, it automatically downloads the Pepper Flash plugin to the application folder and activates it, provided the computer is online at the time, of course. If it isn't, Flash will be downloaded the next time the browser is used online.

It also doesn't create Chrome's annoying "Chromium" folder under AppData\Local. The profile folder is created in TheWorld's application folder, so other than one small registry key, it's almost a portable browser.
Yeah this are nice details on The world browser.

foliator
1) Don't bother going to the Chinese website to download the program unless you can read Chinese. Instead, search for the app in Softpedia and download it from there.
Heh well, i don't know Chinese, but is not a complicated thing.
go to http://www.theworld.cn/v7
I don't know if the button say download, but i guess is a bit obvious haha.

Date: December 09, 2016 07:26PM

But... no extensions? haha why hell this?
Well, it's greatest feature I suppose!

Extensions are the most biggest security hole nowadays in whole PC world. Whatever you do - malware extensions still keep on infecting Chrome installations.
And also that annoying RAM eating of about 25-30 for every addon...

For me it's inbaluable to have portable Chrome without extensions and all that buzz. Really great, light (not like KM but still...) and secure.

Yeah this are nice details on The world browser.

One of great things here is the possibility to change cache folder path and to autoclean selected data on exit.

This allows to avoid this usual Chrome disaster with huge amount of caches never get cleaned nor controlled (other way than manually using some advanced file manager like TC).

So I can give TheWorld to some unexperienced user without fear he'll break his system soon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2016 07:26PM by rodocop.

Date: December 10, 2016 12:25AM

rodocop
One of great things here is the possibility to change cache folder path and to autoclean selected data on exit.

This allows to avoid this usual Chrome disaster with huge amount of caches never get cleaned nor controlled (other way than manually using some advanced file manager like TC).

Yes, clean on exit is a welcome option; it's in Gecko browsers too, but should really be in all browsers.

Like the other Chrome-based browsers, TW still has no option to completely disable disk caching, so I include non-existing paths in my shortcut's command line:

--disk-cache-dir=X:\ --media-cache-dir=Y:\

Then, when using the browser's "clear browsing data" dialog, the disk cache item will state "Calculating ...", but there's really no disk cache. To confirm this, typing chrome://cache in the address bar will bring up the message "No disk cache".

TheWorld creates a number of unnecessary bookmark backups that aren't seen in the other Chromium browsers. They are named with the date and the extension ".day". There's another one with the extension ".big", but it has the same size as the others, so I don't know its purpose.

Examples:
Bookmarks.big
Bookmarks_2016-12-9.day

There's already one undated backup, "bookmarks.bak", which is enough backup for me, so I just delete the others from time to time through a batch command, which also removes the two Jumplist Icons folders, since they tend to accumulate files. Even so, TheWorld takes up only about half of the drive space that the other Chrome browsers use; its application folder is roughly the same size as K-Meleon's.

---
Gerry

Date: December 10, 2016 04:12AM

Hmm,
I have just 3 day-based bookmark backups and not more than 3-4 ico in every Jumplist folder.

But I'not using TW like everyday browser (while opening it time to time but ALMOST every day)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2016 04:12AM by rodocop.

Posted by: niles
Date: May 22, 2017 08:42PM

Another long time world browser user here. Thanks for information.

I think they have problems with adapting chrome versions because tw6 wasn't updated for 2-3 years and now twv7 as mentioned here is behind.

Looking on chinese forum with translator there were pages of posts clamouring for update to v6.0 and now the saem for v7.0.

v6.0 is the lightest but javascript rendering can be slow on heavy sites, O'K for me I browse with script disabled except where needed.

v6.0 has much better content managing options dropdown menu (click icon on left of addressbar).

V7.0 uses Pepperflash eating more ram and cpu so v6.0 is better for me on this old pc. I copy and rename system32 NPSWF32*****dll to gcswf32.dll in tw folder to update flash in v6.0

Both tw chrome versions have disabled access to plugin config from address bar, whereas ucbrowser still allows this and pepperflash can be disabled and on windows NPSWF32 ****** dll used instead.

Nevertheless I prefer theworld to ucbrowser. I disabled the service ucbrowser installed and renamed the associated exe (can't remember the name) to bak, uc still works the same.

Last thing I noticed was tw7.0 like all later chrome's adjusts itself to system dpi setting. I have a high dpi and it made the gui too large and unclear and fonts a bit blurty, answer is to add
high-dpi-support=1 /force-device-scale-factor=1
to the shortcut target field (with space beforehand).

Date: May 03, 2021 11:21PM

Hi, folks! First of all, I apologize for posting a response to a very old thread (roughly 5 years old), but I had to stop using K-Meleon. The reason was that too many of the sites I visited on a regular basis had stopped supporting it. The latest Pale Moon version (29 point something) isn't much of a help, either, and I don't like what's happened to Firefox.

At any rate, I have a very recent version of Chrome, and was startled to discover that the disk usage, including the program files and the user data, amounts to 306 MB (!), and unnecessarily so. I've reverted to TheWorld 7, which takes up about 76 MB to do roughly the same thing, and so far the only unsupported site is archive.org's WayBack Machine. If I really need that, I run Chrome. Surprisingly, even my bank's website fully supports TW7.

TW does what I need it to do without dozens of extensions. I visit only 5 or 6 sites where I need to keep JavaScript disabled, and can achieve that through the built-in JS exceptions feature; same goes for disabling cookies.

What I really like is TW's support of user stylesheets, by means of which I've increased the default font weight, since many sites use very light fonts, which are hard to read. Chrome removed that support ages ago -- I think it was from version 35 on.

Another thing is bookmarks: With every browser I've used, I've had to add an extension to open them in new tabs by default. TW already does this. I can also toggle the bookmarks toolbar on and off with Ctrl+Shift+B. If I do that in Chrome there's no easy way to access the bookmarks, but TW automatically puts a bookmarks menu button on the toolbar if the bookmarks bar isn't showing.

Flash is now obsolete, but TW still downloads it. My solution: The flash file it downloads is pepflashplayer32_29_0_0_171.dll. In the same folder, create an empty plain text file with the same name, i.e. pepflashplayer32_29_0_0_171.txt. Delete the DLL (also the 7z file that comes with it), rename the text file pepflashplayer32_29_0_0_171.dll and set it to read-only. It will no longer be downloaded, and you'll save 17 MB of disk space.

Admittedly, K-Meleon is a very fast and light browser, which I enjoyed and recommended to others, but so is TheWorld. Sorry about this very long post. I should be ashamed of myself for lurking around this forum for years without posting a single word.smiling smiley

---
Gerry

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: May 04, 2021 12:32AM

Don't worry, and is good to know your findings.

Re: Advance Chrome / TheWorld7 browser
Posted by: siria
Date: May 04, 2021 02:58AM

so far the only unsupported site is archive.org's WayBack Machine.

I'm shocked - again. This most important site is broken, as ONLY one, in a rather supermodern browser?! Incredible! That's intentional, no doubt sad smiley

(Being stuck myself on ancient KM1.6, I had lost access a few years ago, but luckily regained it again when finally discovering its handy URL-parameters, using of course one of my countless draft macros)

Date: May 04, 2021 04:19AM

siria

so far the only unsupported site is archive.org's WayBack Machine.

I'm shocked - again. This most important site is broken, as ONLY one, in a rather supermodern browser?! Incredible! That's intentional, no doubt sad smiley

(Being stuck myself on ancient KM1.6, I had lost access a few years ago, but luckily regained it again when finally discovering its handy URL-parameters, using of course one of my countless draft macros)

Well, TheWorld is relatively modern, being based on Chrome, but I wouldn't describe it as supermodern. Maybe it is in comparison with KM 1.6, however. grinning smiley

The Wayback Machine isn't completely broken, but seems to be using some script that TW doesn't fully recognize. All the official versions of Chrome support it. I can get to the Wayback Machine in TW. Usually entering my desired URL would bring up a table with the calendar years in which to browse through the captures of the site I'm looking for, but in TW nothing happens after I make my entry in the search box. This is with JavaScript enabled, of course.

I'm not sure if this affects other pages at archive.org, as I only use their Wayback Machine. It has helped me find good, old versions of various apps before they were developed into bloatware. That is, if the Wayback Machine has fully archived the site. Sometimes a lot of a site's content hasn't been archived and all that remains is a sort of skeleton of the site, with big archive.org banners covering up a large portion of the screen at the top.

---
Gerry

Re: Advance Chrome / TheWorld7 browser / wayback
Date: May 04, 2021 06:57AM

Just examples for wayback search syntax, no JS:

Nearest archive around a target date:
https://web.archive.org/web/201809/https://www.example.com/xyz

LIST of files starting with a cropped URL:
http://web.archive.org/cdx/search/cdx?url=https://www.example.com/xyz*&filter=statuscode:200&fl=timestamp,urlkey,statuscode,length,mimetype,statuscode,original&collapse=digest&limit=5000

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2021 06:58AM by siria.

Date: May 04, 2021 01:54PM

Thanks very much, Siria! I tried your second example on a known website and wound up with a huge list. I had no idea the site had been up for so many years. The first example was sufficient, however, as I had a particular year in mind, and wound up with the version of the site I was looking for.

---
Gerry

Date: May 04, 2021 04:30PM

@siria:
Using your info, I've created a workaround by writing a little local HTML file on my hard drive that has the content below. Note that the body text of that file can be edited right in the browser without the need for an HTML editor. Once I've completed the Wayback Machine search URL, I simply drag it right into the browser's address bar. Don't try to follow the live link as it appears in this code. smiling smiley
<!doctype html>

<html>

<head>

<link rel="icon" type="image/x-icon" href="Archive.ico">

<title>Wayback Machine</title>

<style type="text/css">

* {font-family: Franklin Gothic Medium !important; font-size: 17pt !important;}

body {background: rgb(255,238,195); margin-top: 2px;}

</style>

</head>

<body contenteditable="true">

https://web.archive.org/web/yyyymm/www.targetsite.com
<p>
(In the example above, edit the year, month and URL
of the target website.)

</body>

</html>

---
Gerry

Date: May 04, 2021 05:39PM

Nice grinning smiley We'd often be lost without some selfhelp tricks.

By the way the cropped date is completely flexible, 1-8 digits, year+month is just an example.

Also useful, without ANY date in URL it tries to load the most recent archived version.
https://web.archive.org/web/http://example.com

CATCH: if nothing archived yet, this will trigger a new SAVE-action, creating a new archive from the current page (if still alive). I usually don't want this, especially if the current version is only some stupid 404-error page, therefore prefer to input at least some stub date, e.g. just "2"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2021 05:43PM by siria.

Date: May 05, 2021 12:56AM

siria
By the way the cropped date is completely flexible, 1-8 digits, year+month is just an example.

That's usually all I can remember about the dates, anyway. As for the month, I tend to use May or June to stay away from last minute changes to a site at the end or beginning of the month.

By the way, I was wrongly assuming that TheWorld was too old to be used on YouTube, since the main site always failed to load fully. It turns out that if I wait long enough, it will finish loading. The latest changes to YouTube have really messed it up. It's slow to load even in the latest version of Chrome (which, BTW, I've banished from my drive altogether, freeing up over 300 MB of drive space).

The main difference now is that trying to play recent videos will result in an error message if they carry ads, but the older ones without ads play just fine. I visited youtube.com/html5, and was told "Your browser is up to date. You can use all the latest YouTube features." WTF? :s TheWorld7 is five years old! I'm not spoofing the user agent, either, so apparently the folks at Google don't know their own products, or they no longer care.

---
Gerry

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2021 01:01AM by foliator.

Date: May 05, 2021 01:29PM

I visited youtube.com/html5, and was told "Your browser is up to date. You can use all the latest YouTube features." WTF? :s TheWorld7 is five years old! I'm not spoofing the user agent, either

WIth my yet older browser it obviously depends on the useragent string whether I'm getting those infamous "Old browser" warnings or not. That is meant in general, other websites, since yt is completely empty in all cases since a few years now. So my impression is that websites do not check features, only the UA, and then this warning depends on whether the pretended version is the last official one of that browser or not. But just a guess, for most websites.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2021 01:30PM by siria.

Date: May 05, 2021 01:39PM

I used to look up the user agent for the most recent version of Chrome and spoof that in an older version, but Google's search pages still gave me those update reminders. That's why I no longer bother spoofing user agents at all. So far, Google's search pages aren't bothering me with reminders, even with TheWorld7, which identifies itself as Chrome 48. The latest Chrome version is now 90 or greater, and with each update, some feature is usually missing or made less convenient to use, and the size of the browser has increased.

---
Gerry

Date: May 07, 2021 09:36PM

Update: The Wayback Machine is now giving me lots of error messages, even when I use it the normal way in recent browsers that fully support it. I can get to the capture of my target site, but following any of the internal links on that site's main page brings up the following message:

Sorry.
This snapshot cannot be displayed due to an internal error.

Those very same links were fully accessible only a week or so ago. In fact, sometimes even the main page of my target site won't come up at all, and will be replaced by the same error message. Some of the captures that I've previously viewed several times are starting to disappear from WayBack Machine's tables, as well. Something tells me that either WB has had a server crash, or they're getting ready to run their full-page donation requests again, i.e. donate or forget trying to use the WayBack Machine.

That's what's basically happening to YouTube. Ads all over the place, and you now have to order YouTube Premium ($) to eliminate them.

---
Gerry

Date: May 08, 2021 01:20AM

foliator
The Wayback Machine is now giving me lots of error messages, even when I use it the normal way in recent browsers that fully support it. I can get to the capture of my target site, but following any of the internal links on that site's main page brings up the following message:

Sorry.
This snapshot cannot be displayed due to an internal error.

Those very same links were fully accessible only a week or so ago. In fact, sometimes even the main page of my target site won't come up at all, and will be replaced by the same error message. Some of the captures that I've previously viewed several times are starting to disappear from WayBack Machine's tables, as well. Something tells me that either WB has had a server crash, or they're getting ready to run their full-page donation requests again, i.e. donate or forget trying to use the WayBack Machine

Hopefully just that. It's happened before... Worse would be possible reason 3: since govs and webmonopolies have now started cencoring like crazy, deleting and hiding undesired free information people shall not know, am afraid it's also well possible that WM gets orders to delete some old archives :-(

Date: May 08, 2021 03:54AM

Yes, I guess there's quite a bit of censoring going on, but plenty of misinformation as well. It's certainly not the same internet that I found so exciting back in 1994, when I first started using it. The web showed enormous potential. It has grown tremendously since then, but that so-called "internet superhighway" now has an awful lot of speed bumps in the form of heavy ads, animations, inline videos and tons of JavaScript. Block all that on a site and there's nothing much left of the site, because the focus nowadays is not on content, but on fancy web design and $$$$$.

Sometimes you have to scroll way down a page to get to the actual content, only to discover that what the search engine result described is not there at all. I can Google my own name and see a lot of search results, but if I visit those sites my name doesn't appear even once.

I don't have many bookmarked sites these days, and can run through all of them each morning by the time breakfast is ready. Then I often shut my wi-fi off and spend the rest of the day on other things (but not on work, because I'm retired).

---
Gerry

Date: May 08, 2021 01:07PM

Thanks, Panzer. I've used ad blockers in the past. Some sites used to scold me for that, or wouldn't let me in at all. At any rate, I don't watch YouTube videos anymore. The only reason I noticed the increase in ads was by visiting YouTube out of curiosity to see if TW7 could play any of the videos; it can play some of them, despite being way out of date.

I'm not very fond of videos in general. Once in a while I'll watch one that's embedded in another site, but only if it's really relevant to the site's content. Many sites waste bandwidth on tutorial videos to demonstrate a few simple steps for doing something, when they're already outlined very clearly in the text below.

---
Gerry

Re: TheWorld 7
Posted by: Gerry
Date: December 06, 2021 03:08PM

Another little tip for those of you using TheWorld7:
You may have noticed that it can switch rendering to IE. If you happen to try loading a website and the browser claims it can't load it, look at the context menu on the page, and you might see "switch to Chrome". Do that, and the site will load properly.

Re: TheWorld 7
Posted by: Gerry
Date: December 06, 2021 04:00PM

Gerry
Another little tip for those of you using TheWorld7:
You may have noticed that it can switch rendering to IE. If you happen to try loading a website and the browser claims it can't load it, look at the context menu on the page, and you might see "switch to Chrome". Do that, and the site will load properly.

I should have added here that my version of IE, which I no longer use, is way out of date, which is probably why TheWorld can't render some sites in IE mode. I discovered that when I could couldn't sign into my online banking site. As soon as I switched to Chrome mode (which should have been the default) everything loaded correctly.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.