Off-Topic :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All which isn't K-Meleon related. 
Need a last-minute gift?
Posted by: siria
Date: December 20, 2016 03:31AM

Can't resist, just discovered this little gem on amazon and sounds like one of those brilliant inventions you always wanted but never thought possible - must share in case anyone needs a tip grinning smiley
A simple looking LED bulb, but dimmable without a dimmer! Works like one of those torch lights, just switching on-off a second or third time, and the lamp toggles between 3 light steps. Not as complicated as it sounds, because it will remember the last setting, so next time only 1x switching needed! And even the color adjusts along with brightness. The bulb is called Philips SceneSwitch.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need a last-minute gift?
Posted by: Mikk
Date: December 21, 2016 01:42PM

Interesting! Its seems similar to my solution I realised in my appartement with a classical bulbe, in end effect. Till now I missed a LED-bulb making this possible.

The first idea for it I found in an electro shop in Prague about 40 years ago: A double lightswitch, one button was lighter than the other one. The solution was very simple - one of these two switches joints a diode into the circuit, following is the effective value of the voltage on the bulb cca. 30 % reduced. The subjective feeling of the light intensity is about one degree lower, that means 60 W lights as 40 W, 40 W as 25 W, 25 W as 15 W etc.

My second idea was to set the two switches of a double switch serial, parallel to one of them comes the diode, parallel to the other one a condensator for dimming the bulb in the next step. A small problem of the solution with the condensator is, its value depends to the power of the bulb; but I was never in need to change the bulb to another power value thats why I can live well with it.

Side effects of the modus with diode:
- Theoretical energetical light yeld of the bulb reduced ( sad smiley )
- Life time of the bulbe excels the most of actual LED bulbs ( smiling smiley )

I must now look to find this SceneSwitch lamp in any shop to see how it works really.

Options: ReplyQuote

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.