Off-Topic :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All which isn't K-Meleon related. 
New RAM isn't working... any suggestions?
Posted by: msea
Date: April 12, 2017 02:41AM

I ordered 2gb RAM (2 x 1gb) thru Amazon. I matched all the specs, as far as I know. And it fits.

The computer beeped 4 or 5 times when I tried it. I tried all combinations with my previous RAM (2 x 256mb). I cleaned the RAM contacts. (Even tho it was supposed to be new, it didn't look new and wasn't packaged like new).

So maybe it was defective. Or maybe there is some other way I can get it to work?

I looked into upgrading my bios but it's an old laptop and I couldn't find anything relevant.

Any ideas?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2017 03:10AM by msea.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New RAM isn't working... any suggestions?
Posted by: Yogi
Date: April 12, 2017 06:28AM

I'm not the right person for help, since I'm not a hardware geek.
AFAIK you can't increase RAM arbitrary if your motherbord/chipset doesn't support it.
Make sure first how much max RAM your motherbord/chipset is designed to support.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: April 12, 2017 11:47AM

5 beeps are the sign of CPU problem in general.

But talking about RAM you can just test it with memtest utility installing them 1 by 1 alongside with old working modules

And sure - try to get moneyback if possible

Date: April 12, 2017 02:39PM

Yogi
I'm not the right person for help, since I'm not a hardware geek.
AFAIK you can't increase RAM arbitrary if your motherbord/chipset doesn't support it.
Make sure first how much max RAM your motherbord/chipset is designed to support.

Thanks... the machine is supposed to handle 2 gb max. That much I am certain.

rodocop
5 beeps are the sign of CPU problem in general.

But talking about RAM you can just test it with memtest utility installing them 1 by 1 alongside with old working modules

And sure - try to get moneyback if possible

I did test it by combining with working RAM. I got severely degraded graphics and a partial but incomplete Windows startup. But hey, thanks for the tip re memtest. Passmark seems to have a good one for USB. I will definitely try that the next time I crack this laptop open!

http://www.memtest86.com/

smiling smileysmiling smiley

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: April 12, 2017 03:45PM

msea, I would recommend to use the so called "good returns policy" by Amazon.

If you felt they were used, don't waste your time. Request a replacement or refund.

Date: April 12, 2017 10:43PM

You can't make any combination with two different spec RAM. To combine two RAM, they must exactly match the spec.

Date: April 13, 2017 12:21AM

Thanks guys I already got a full refund... or so Amazon says. I haven't checked my bank statement yet.

Sometimes it seems that some sellers go through rubbish bins and get stuff, selling it as new. I think cheap cables and joiners (e.g. F to F) are a fairly safe bet, though.

One time I got a full refund because the product didn't arrive within the arrival window. A week later the product appeared and worked fine. I told them, and they got their money.

I try to be fair. Not rip people off nor be ripped off! smiling smiley

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: April 13, 2017 12:51AM

msea
Sometimes it seems that some sellers go through rubbish bins and get stuff, selling it as new.

Don't even doubt it.

Amazon is not what it used to be, all new products and sold by Amazon. Now, with sellers around the globe trying to sell things with the Amazon Marketplace help, this has become an issue. So that, that a few days ago I read Amazon was going to take hands on this and try to clean up the marketplace.

This story makes me remember when, maybe the last year, I was searching for a 7200rpm ATA/IDE hard disk, to give some live to an old computer, and all around there were sellers, selling as new, but all comments telling they were used.

Amazon = not trust, unless is directly sold by Amazon or a trusted company.

Date: April 14, 2017 04:15PM

JohnHell
msea
Sometimes it seems that some sellers go through rubbish bins and get stuff, selling it as new.

Don't even doubt it.

Amazon is not what it used to be, all new products and sold by Amazon. Now, with sellers around the globe trying to sell things with the Amazon Marketplace help, this has become an issue. So that, that a few days ago I read Amazon was going to take hands on this and try to clean up the marketplace.

This story makes me remember when, maybe the last year, I was searching for a 7200rpm ATA/IDE hard disk, to give some live to an old computer, and all around there were sellers, selling as new, but all comments telling they were used.

Yes, I think it's the same with BestBuy in Canada, probably in the US too. When I'm shopping I click the "BestBuy only" box. I really couldn't be bothered wrangling with possibly shady operators.

On that note, I also bought a three way audio splitter that only worked in two of the three outlets. It also looked a tiny bit scratched. That was the first time I wondered if some exporters were recycling old stuff, saying it was new.

I don't know why. I settled on a 50% refund for that one. I guess I figured that 2 outta 3 wasn't too bad! Also, I couldn't find one at a comparable price. Turns out there is a local indie dollar store that sells the very same product, properly packaged, for peanuts. Live and learn.

Posted by: 4td8s
Date: June 16, 2017 12:25PM

msea
JohnHell
msea

Don't even doubt it.

Yes, I think it's the same with BestBuy in Canada, probably in the US too. When I'm shopping I click the "BestBuy only" box. I really couldn't be bothered wrangling with possibly shady operators.

On that note, I also bought a three way audio splitter that only worked in two of the three outlets. It also looked a tiny bit scratched. That was the first time I wondered if some exporters were recycling old stuff, saying it was new.

I don't know why. I settled on a 50% refund for that one. I guess I figured that 2 outta 3 wasn't too bad! Also, I couldn't find one at a comparable price. Turns out there is a local indie dollar store that sells the very same product, properly packaged, for peanuts. Live and learn.

happen to be very few times but many times it's better to order RAM chips directly from either Crucial.com or Kingston.com if you wanna get high quality RAM chips instead of "cheap" knock-offs.

Might also wanna use Corsair brand RAM chips as I never had a problem with any Corsair memory chips I've gotten for older PCs

Re: New RAM isn't working... / now getting HOT sad smiley
Posted by: siria
Date: June 21, 2017 08:37PM

AARGH... I thought it was risky flipping over my dusty old box for the first time in years, in another desperate attempt to finally get more RAM and stick in a second plate. But now looks like it was not only useless but rather suicidal sad smiley Because even after removing the new second RAM plate again (which didn't work, as others before, despite all specs being right), now my box starts overheating, slowly but surely... As if it were working like crazy, but it's not doing ANYTHING at all! It's no windows thing, and not even any DOS prob, because it starts already when pushing the power button. Even before entering the password. Even when just entering the bios setup. Am afraid it might have something to do with futile battery recharging, which of course is dead long since, or perhaps some dust inside fallen into bad places, am slighty worrying :-/
Anyway, have to shut it off to cool down very often, will have to drastically reduce my online time, grmpf.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: June 21, 2017 08:54PM

siria

Can you acquire some canned air? Sometimes that will get bits out of places you would not expect. If you have fans, try to keep them steady by holding the eraser end of a pencil so it just touches a blade when you blow out stuff near them. Over-spinning a fan can damage it.

Edit: Is the battery still in the unit? If it is dead, can you remove it? Does the unit have an optical drive? If you start with a disk in the drive, does it spin and sound correct?

Hanlon’s razor is an eponymous adage named after Robert J. Hanlon that states: “Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

JamesD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2017 08:59PM by JamesD.

Date: June 21, 2017 09:09PM

It's an old notebook, so everything is very compact and dense. No CD-drive. Slightly hesitant to screw open the battery compartment too, don't trust that at all. Assume that inside it's all soldered fix, not removable. And the battery lid contains also foot #4. Perhaps I should try to flip the whole thing over a dozen more times :cool: Or perhaps with some luck my turn out something self-repairing??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2017 09:09PM by siria.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: June 22, 2017 06:28PM

siria

I don't know. Perhaps flipping again might restore, but I give that only a small chance. Can you PM me the make and model? Sometimes the specs can be found online even for old stuff.

My wife's cousin worked at IBM until he retired and now does a lot of computer maint and repair work. He helped me build all of my desktop units and gave me the laptop which I now use when traveling, He made it from leftover parts from units he got on E-Bay. If we can get the make and model, perhaps he and I can find out if opening the unit is possible for the user (you).

Hanlon’s razor is an eponymous adage named after Robert J. Hanlon that states: “Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

JamesD

Date: June 22, 2017 08:57PM

Well just the opening itself is obvious, there's a screw.
May try it, or perhaps try some flips, just not yet. For the moment still hope it may self-repair, probably wishful thinking but it "seems" already a bit less hot... just really quite warm... Or perhaps it was the first shock that I overestimated the temperature at first... Meanwhile think the system constantly tries to recharge the batteries (because the charge level is stuck at random numbers each time), but no energy is getting inside them (luckily, the battery compartment itself stays cool, the warmth is apart from it, or it would be a time bomb)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2017 09:27PM by siria.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.