Off-Topic :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All which isn't K-Meleon related. 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
'New Moon' Browser - Another Option
Posted by: callahan
Date: September 23, 2017 01:10PM

I use (for now) two K-Meleon versions ... KM 1.8 and KM 75.1 and I also have the 'last' Pale Moon version for WinXP installed as a backup for some secure sites. The last Pale Moon version for WinXP was v26.5.0 released some time back as XP was dropped after that.

... I deleted all the information that I posted yesterday about the New Moon browser. I no longer trust it or want it on my computer. It seems to have some strange 'powers' of making changes to backups off the computer and being stored someplace else ... like a flash drive.

I can't fully explain or understand why my two backups were changed, destroyed or whatever on a flash drive.

Important: Since I posted this, New Moon has been updated by petrus and now has it's own Profile or User folder included in the New Moon folder.

petrus: 10/7/2017

Thanks! Here's the newest build in portable form:

newmoon-roytam-portable-xp32-20171006-fc3f4bdc7.rar

36.75MB https://www.sendspace.com/file/z54hl0
Edited 14 hours ago by petrus

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/177125-my-build-of-new-moon-temp-name-aka-pale-moon-for-xp/?page=3

Rodocop has explained what probably happened and has said New Moon is safe to use. I am putting the link back in this post ... from MSFN, if someone wants to check it out.

List of Web Browsers Working with XP 2017

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/176386-list-of-web-browsers-working-with-xp-2017/?page=17

roytam1 ...

Anyway I built my own palemoon-27.4.2 with patches in #1 and replaced GetTickCount64() with dynamic loading NtQueryPerformanceCounter() like One-Core-Api does (with --disable-skia and bundled New Moon branding, nothing else changed)

http://o.rthost.win/gpc/files1.rt/palemoon-27.4.2-unofficial-xp.7z

Edited 10 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2017 12:38PM by callahan.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Another Browser
Posted by: smallhagrid
Date: September 24, 2017 01:06AM

Wow - Thanks Callahan - best news of the day here !!!
Just tried it.
Opens right up like 'green' or portable (no installation needed), and is pretty light, though not as light or fast as K-Meleon.

If it does better with HTML5 & YT videos it'll get used alot here all the same.

Thanks !!!

Posted by: Yogi
Date: September 24, 2017 09:46AM

No XP here. Wondering though what advantage an outdated PaleMoon (NewMoon) can offer over the original, which is actual and still maintained, namely Firefox ESR.
While K-Meleon which is also a fork, comes whith a lot of conveniences compared to Firefox, I couldn't notice any convenience offered by PaleMoon (except maybe for the old squared style instead of the roundish one).

As for being more light, a general rule of thumb - the older the browser the more lightweigh it is, since over the time tons of more or less usefull features have been added. Some of those new features can be disabled in Firefox ("about:config") and its forks.

Date: September 24, 2017 10:46AM

smallhagrid ... yes, I also like the 'New Moon' browser ... used it yesterday. I just now ran a test on it at Qualys - SSL/TLS Capabilities of Your Browser and there are no red problem areas ... everything passed for now.

https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/viewMyClient.html#1481082337843&frame_loaded

This is the User Agent reading from that page:

User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.2 Firefox/45.9 PaleMoon/27.4.2

I have no idea what roytam1 is talking about when he says "Anyway I built my own palemoon-27.4.2 with patches in #1 and replaced GetTickCount64() with dynamic loading NtQueryPerformanceCounter() like One-Core-Api does (with --disable-skia and bundled New Moon branding, nothing else changed)".

It does seem to be fast to me ... each person's computer will be different for sure. I also run Proxomitron when online.

I was just at the MSFN site (Page 18) and they are reporting finding a bug or small problem ... so there may be a newer fixed version soon.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

roytam1 - Posted 6 hours ago (edited)

I think I should inform KingsMan. He will inform feoder

please do it. winking smiley

I tried to mimick official build by checking official build's about:buildconfig but I can't get rid this problem.

EDIT: problem solved by changing to Firefox compatibility. And there is 2 lines missing in browser\branding\unofficial\pref\palemoon-branding.js:

// Enable Firefox compatmode by default.
pref("general.useragent.compatMode", 2);

Edited 2 hours ago by roytam1

-------------------------------------------------------

Anyone liking this New Moon browser will have to keep checking at MSFN for fixes and newer versions as more people use and test it.

In 'Options' there are three 'Compatibility User Agent Modes ... Native, Firefox Compatibility and Gecko Compatibility. Not sure what that means or what to use.

Since it 'passed' at the Qualys test site ... this browser should be OK for very secure or banking sites ... just my thoughts.

Oh well, it's nice to have a new option or browser for WinXP.

Also, Dibya posted yesterday:

3 hours ago, Dibya said:

I am trying to build my own browser namely dragonzilla . I wish to make it very simple,fast,lightweight and SSE compatible.
-----------------------------------------------------------

He's involved in many projects there.

Yogi ... I just don't like Firefox ... my computer runs hot or slower at times with FF ... KM 1.8 and KM 75.1 are still my main choice but I was using PM for a better 'security' feeling for banking ... I think this New Moon browser is 'faster' than Pale Moon ... it seems that way to me so far. I may be using New Moon more in the future as I read more about it for updates.

Pale Moon founder wanted a name change from Pale Moon so New Moon was decided on.

callahan

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2017 10:55AM by callahan.

Date: September 25, 2017 07:35PM

What I posted here on September 26, 2017 is no longer important. Read my October 06, 2017 03:35PM post. I am using a newer version of New Moon by petrus which now has a Profile/User folder inside the New Moon folder. He also made a nice looking orderly New Moon folder.

Sad to say I am no longer using New Moon ... it may be a spy program of some sort. It has been acting funny today. Yesterday I spent most of the day doing all the settings to my liking ... I had two backups on a flash drive.

Everything I wasted my time on yesterday is gone ... my backups on the flash drive with my settings are gone. I copied a backup back onto my computer and it's just like a first time install and use ... no settings at all ... no homepage and it runs somewhere in seconds to update ... I wanted no updates and had it set that way.

What I can't figure out ... is how it got into my flashdrive and destroyed my backups there. It may have some sort of timed program inside to revert back to a new download with no settings.

Something wiped away all my hard work from yesterday and with two separate backups off the computer and on a flash drive, I thought I was safe.

I always hate setting up a new browser ... I am not doing it again. I do not trust New Moon ... I have no clue what happened. I noticed something strange yesterday ... everytime I made setting changes on my computer only they were also being done ... somehow on the backups on the flashdrive.

I was not even in the New Moon folder on the flash drive but my latest settings were also on the backup copies.

Be very careful of this browser or download ... it may be going everywhere.

I have deleted everything and am putting a Ghost backup back on my machine ... it's a backup from months ago ... before any New Moon browser was developed.

Pale Moon and PM backups are OK ... but I am going to check everything in my PM folder to make sure it did not get into that folder.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2017 01:23PM by callahan.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: September 25, 2017 09:45PM

Tried New Moon yesterday - without any problem>

But look: New Moon isn't really portable browser - it stores profiles in system User Profile folder, so I think your case may be caused by using flash drive - your New Moon simply "have lost" its profile that had been set up and went back to defaults.

No malware there sure.

What I've found testing different Geckos: New Moon is most lightweight Gecko-browser in terms of RAM usage (sure except K-Meleon).
But also it is slowest among them in loading pages.

Best deal in RAM/speed ratio was the special IceWeasel made for XP mentioned in another thread - it uses about 110-115% of RAM compairing with New Moon but loads pages almost twice faster.

Other options tried are portabilized custom Firefox build that use techniques and dll's by tete009 - found here (sorry only rus lang): LawlietFox and Firefox tete009.

They both are fast (may be even slightly faster than IceWeasel or equal) but use about 130-150% of RAM if measured in New Moons ;-)

And custom unofficial latest portable Pale Moon (not for XP) was the same time RAM hungry like Firefoxes and slow like New Moon.

So if to leave K-Meleon aside, we can summarize like this:

A. If to use with XP you have 2 viable Gecko options:
1) IceWeasel for XP from authors of libportable
Portable, rather lightweight, fast, max compatible

2) New Moon
Most Lightweight (once again - if forget about KM!) in RAM usage, but slower, less compatible and not really portable (just distributed as zip but creates profile in system's User folder)

B. If using Windows 7 and higher you can use the same browsers while them stay correspondingly optimal choice (IceWeasel) and lightweightest (New Moon),
but it worth to give a try to LawlietFox or Firefox-tete009 builds, as they are good packed with preinstalled useful extensions and set up for privacy (using incognito private windows mode by default) also being fully portable.

They both load pages instantly due to working Ublock and NoScript. I can recommend those custom builds by russian comrade cento8

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2017 09:49PM by rodocop.

Date: September 25, 2017 09:54PM

One more option for XP browsing is Advanced Chrome - custom portable build of 'ungoogled' and tuned Chrome.

Choose 'custom build' for XP and NPAPI support or 'latest build' for Win 7 and newer, most compatible but no NPAPI.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2017 09:54PM by rodocop.

Date: September 25, 2017 10:50PM

Thanks rodocop for the information about the Profile folder. I kept wondering ... where is the Profile folder in the New Moon folder. I never ran into anything like that before ... no Profile folder in the browser folder.

I have no idea where the 'system User Profile folder' is located. Now I'm curious if other software programs store profiles there.

I will use Google to find out where it is located. I took the New Moon link out of my first post ... didn't want people messing up their computers since I did not understand what had actually happened.

I will put the link back in my first post ... I never had a browser loose all the settings before, even with backups.

I will try IceWeasel.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2017 10:51PM by callahan.

Date: September 26, 2017 12:02AM

In XP system user profiles are stored in
SystemDrive://Documents and settings/UserName

There is a number of subfolders there - for example AppData (or Application Data) are used by most of installable apps to store their data (all browsers data are there in fact).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2017 12:03AM by rodocop.

Date: September 26, 2017 10:25AM

After thinking about everything that happened and all my New Moon settings gone. It seems very strange to me that a portable browser doesn't store all these settings and changes inside it's own folder.

Then no matter where backup copies are stored, the Profiles folder is inside the main folder ... in this case the 'New Moon' folder ... and everything works.

I did like the New Moon browser as a modern backup browser but it's no good to me as it is currently set up.

My question is ... can the New Moon profile settings be made to store the profile inside the New Moon folder? If it was installed, that is one thing but this is a portable version and ... to my thinking, everything should be 'inside' the New Moon folder.

Re: Another Browser / New Moon
Posted by: siria
Date: September 27, 2017 05:37AM

Wouldn't be suspicious just because of profile locations. Different people mean "portable" in differently "strict" ways. For example they can argue if it's enough if:
- it can simply be unzipped and works without a "setup" (but profiles land in win userdata)
- stricter: it additionally contains the profile in its own program folder (like KM)
- yet stricter: it additionally leaves no traces in win registry (like portableapps)
etc.
And was it even called "portable" or did you just assume it, getting a zip file?

Anyway, this looks familiar:
https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?t=276
https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=57&p=11884

The key for the profile folder location is in a file "profile.ini" or "profiles.ini"
So, use the windows search to find that file.
And this entry:
IsRelative=1
means "look inside own program folder"

Obviously editing that file manually can be tricky, perhaps better ask in the PM forum if there's some simpler switch method smiling smiley
In KM that method would be to create or delete an EMPTY file "profile.ini" in the KM root folder, but suppose that's a KM specialty.

Posted by: Yogi
Date: September 28, 2017 08:19AM

siria
Different people mean "portable" in differently "strict" ways.

That's right.

However, irrespective from what different people mean by "portable", there is only one correct definition of the term.
"Portable" means that the software can be ported to an external device (e.g. pen drive) by keeping all its functionality and settings.

Idealy, if possible portable software shouldn't leave any trace on the computer the external device gets connected to.

Date: September 28, 2017 12:03PM

siria ... yes you are correct, I saw the download was a 'zip file' and that was a portable file to me, like K-Meleon. I thought it was strange that there was no profile folder in the New Moon folder but I figured it must be storing all my settings in another part of the folder.

I realized something wasn't right when all my settings were gone and somehow not in the folder at all.

Thanks to you, rodocop and Yogi ... I now understand what happened. With any new portable browser in the future, I will be looking for a profile folder or testing it first before I waste my time on settings.

I agree with you Yogi when you posted:

"Portable" means that the software can be ported to an external device (e.g. pen drive) by keeping all its functionality and settings.

Idealy, if possible portable software shouldn't leave any trace on the computer the external device gets connected to.
----------------

That has always been my understanding of the word 'portable' until now.

callahan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2017 12:04PM by callahan.

Date: September 28, 2017 07:41PM

Perfect definition Yogi, and looks like we all agree smiling smiley

callahan
siria ... yes you are correct, I saw the download was a 'zip file' and that was a portable file to me, like K-Meleon.

Yep, there was the misunderstanding.

callahan
With any new portable browser in the future, I will be looking for a profile folder or testing it first before I waste my time on settings.

It's not a waste, you can still copy your settings from the user folder. And you can also modify the browser to work really portable again, that's just another setting. The trick is just to figure out how (if there's no GUI for that), but that's already described above for Mozilla browsers. Otherwise the people in the their forum can tell how.

Date: October 06, 2017 08:35AM

Well there has been a nice developement with the New Moon browser over at MSFN. It has been updated and it now has it's own Profile or User folder inside the New Moon folder ... I guess this makes it truly portable to be moved around with a flash drive or if you redo your computer with an older backup after a crash or trying some bad software.

The whole New Moon project has been given it's own thread by roytam1 last Sunday, October 1st.

Windows XP (at the very top locked thread)

http://www.msfn.org/board/forum/34-windows-xp/

My build of New Moon (temp. name) a.k.a. Pale Moon for XP

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/177125-my-build-of-new-moon-temp-name-aka-pale-moon-for-xp/

On Page 2 a member named petrus has posted a version that looks like the regular Pale Moon folder and now has the User folder inside and all the other folders like Pale Moon ... things are more organized. It is still the New Moon version by roytam1.

From Page 2 ...

petrus ... October 04 2017

Here is a quick portable version of 27.6.0a1.win32-git-20171004-61e3f2cfb (with lav dlls) based on Palemoon-Portable-27.5.0:

NewMoon-Portable-Roytam.rar (36.77Mcool smiley https://www.sendspace.com/file/elvhqp

It seems to be OK until the a newer update ... that added User folder is a real plus for version 27.6.0a1.win32/

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2017 08:41AM by callahan.

Date: October 06, 2017 11:33AM

Just a few extra adds or pointers that I use on Pale Moon and they also work on New Moon. They are not reqired but they are settings that I personally like and also use on K-Meleon, Pale Moon (last XP version) and now New Moon.

Many of you already probably know all these ... this would be just for 'new' people who might like them ... and that still includes me as I work on my own personal settings.

The original New Moon version supplied by roytam1 has Compatibilty set to Gecko Compatibility. The newer version supplied by petrus has Firefox Compatibilty set as the default. I think this might be better to aquire Firefox add-ons but I am not 100% sure about that ... it makes sense that it should be set to Firefox Compatibilty, not an expert on this however. You may want to check this setting in Options.

To get rid of the New Moon splash screen:

This is for Pale Moon but it works in New Moon.

Question - Any way to disable splash logo?

In the top directory where the "Palemoon-portable.exe" launcher is located there is a file called "Palemoon-portable.ini". Open this file and near the bottom ... locate the entry "ShowSplash=true" ... change the "true" to "false". Should work.

----------------------------------

If you don't want Favicons:

Favicons are those tiny little icons that are displayed in front of every bookmark and tab in the Mozilla Firefox web browser.

They can be used to identify a website next to the website title that is also always shown.

There are two core reasons why someone would want to remove favicons in the Firefox web browser.

The first reason is size. Bookmarks with favicons can take up to 10 times as much space on the computer hard drive than those without. While a difference between 3 Megabyte and 300 Kilobyte does not look like much it can make a difference especially in very large bookmark collections.

The second concern is privacy related as new favicons are requested by the web browser from the website itself.

The following article outlines how to block favicons from being created. It is recommended to backup all files that are mentioned in this article prior to making the necessary changes.

1. Firefox settings

The first step is to change settings in the about:config dialog of the Firefox web browser. Simply load about:config in the Firefox address bar and filter the list for the term browser.chrome. Change the following three parameters to the following values:

browser.chrome

browser.chrome.favicons - False
browser.chrome.image_icons.max_size - 0
browser.chrome.site_icons - False

You change values with a double-click on the value field.

This step does not get rid of existing bookmark favicons though but prevents the creation of future favicons in Firefox.

--------------------------------------

New Tab - Home Page

Is there a way to set Pale Moon to have new tabs open my home page?

Yes.

In about:config, find "browser.newtab.url" and set it to the desired address. Note that this setting will be overridden if you at a later point in time change the selection for New Tab in Pale Moon's options.

---------------------------------------

Pale Moon - Favorites

If you want Favorites instead of Bookmarks, then when you update the IE favorites, K-Meleon and New Moon are also updated at the same time.

PlainOldFavorites

PlainOldFavorites is a Mozilla Firefox extension that allows you to use the Internet Explorer and Windows Favorites directly from Firefox.

Hiding the "Bookmarks" menu

Starting with version 1.1 of PlainOldFavorites, you can use PlainOldFavorites addon options dialog to turn the default Firefox Bookmarks menu on/off. In Firefox main menu, select Tools > Add-ons then locate PlainOldFavorites and click on 'Options'.

If you like the "Favorites List" built into all versions of Microsoft's Internet Explorer(IE) browser then you can still use this in Pale Moon (Firefox too) by installing the PlainOldFavorites(POFs) Add-on.

With this Add-on you can choose to use IE Favorites 'only' by hiding Bookmarks or run both lists in tandem. This is also a very easy way to keep identical Favorites lists across IE, PM and FF without any synchronising.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/plainoldfavorites/

-----------------------------

Pale Moon - Firefox User Agent Switcher

The User Agent Switcher extension adds a menu and a toolbar button to switch the user agent of a browser.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/user-agent-switcher/?src=search

... then you can add your own User Agents or use what is supplied in the download.

I deleted the User Agents that were supplied with Firefox User Agent Switcher and use these four User Agents in K-Meleon, Pale Moon and New Moon but they can be anything you want for your setup. I created a folder called Various and added them.

Windows 7

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:55.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/55.0

Windows 10

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; rv:55.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/55.0

Windows XP

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:55.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/55.0

DuckDuckBot

DuckDuckBot/1.0; (+http://duckduckgo.com/duckduckbot.html)

... I am still working on settings for my setup, I just posted the above information for anyone that might also be interested.

callahan

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2017 11:41AM by callahan.

Date: October 06, 2017 11:55AM

Some additional information. I get a very good reading for security at the Qualys SSL Labs browser test site:

Also, forgot to mention earlier ... in the version by petrus on Page 2 he has also added the LAV filter set into the New Moon folder.

avcodec-lav-57.dll

avresample-lav-3.dll

avutil-lav-55.dll

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2017 03:07PM by callahan.

Date: October 08, 2017 11:45AM

@callahan, if you like you can edit the title of your 1st post in this thread to include "New Moon" too, then it would show it here as well:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/list.php?12

Date: October 08, 2017 12:50PM

OK ... sounds good. Is this what you had in mind with the title change, if I understood you correctly? Always open to suggestions.

Just posted yesterday at the MSFN forum. Petrus has posted about a new portable version for New Moon ... I have not checked it out yet, will do so shortly. It may be the same version posted a few days ago with a better link or it may be completely new, I don't know at this time.

I like his version over the version by roytam1 since he has a Profile/User folder inside the New Moon folder itself. Makes my life easier.

petrus - 10/7/2017

Thanks! Here's the newest build in portable form:

newmoon-roytam-portable-xp32-20171006-fc3f4bdc7.rar

36.75MB https://www.sendspace.com/file/z54hl0

Edited 14 hours ago by petrus

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2017 01:03PM by callahan.

Date: October 08, 2017 02:41PM

OK ... my own observations on this 'newer' New Moon version. It appears to be the same version from a few days ago ... New Moon 27.6.0 a1.

My Profile/User folder from the earlier version works just fine in the newer version ... all my settings were carried into the new version.

However, petrus did make two changes in this newer version ... there could be more but I've only noticed these two. He changed the default search engine from DuckDuckGo to Google. Also, the User folder was empty in the earlier version but now has a Default - chrome folder inside ... nothing else until New Moon is started and then the whole User folder fills up with all the settings.

Seems to run just fine so far.

callahan

Date: October 14, 2017 07:15PM

Another observation with the New Moon versions ... it's getting a little confusing to which New Moon version is the best one to use.

Roytam1 has a new version out - Pale Moon 27.6.0a1. win32 20171010 but his version still doesn't have a Profile folder inside the New Moon folder. The Petrus version does have the Profile folder but it hasn't been updated. I put the newer roytam1 version inside the petrus version as an experiment and it updated the petrus version.

However, the original person that started this project (Feodor2) has posted a newer version but said there will be no name change ... it will be called Pale Moon and not New Moon or anything else:

"Back to palemoon, because the most users did not like name change. You rename as you want."

https://github.com/Feodor2/Mypal/releases

Release two

@Feodor2 Feodor2 released this 3 days ago · 1 commit to master since this release

This is my mod of Pale moon browser for winxp

Recent version 27.5.1

Changes:

Back to palemoon, because the most users did not like name change. You rename as you want.
Fixed issue with wrong susbsystem number in x64 built

Binaries there:

win32
win64

... so I guess everyone can just use what version is best for them or make their own ... I like the petrus version and will update it if petrus no longer does.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2017 07:18PM by callahan.

Posted by: roytam1
Date: October 18, 2017 03:13PM

callahan
Well there has been a nice developement with the New Moon browser over at MSFN. It has been updated and it now has it's own Profile or User folder inside the New Moon folder ... I guess this makes it truly portable to be moved around with a flash drive or if you redo your computer with an older backup after a crash or trying some bad software.

The whole New Moon project has been given it's own thread by roytam1 last Sunday, October 1st.

Windows XP (at the very top locked thread)

http://www.msfn.org/board/forum/34-windows-xp/

Actually it is "Topmost" thread icon, the thread is not locked at all.

callahan
OK ... my own observations on this 'newer' New Moon version. It appears to be the same version from a few days ago ... New Moon 27.6.0 a1.

My Profile/User folder from the earlier version works just fine in the newer version ... all my settings were carried into the new version.

However, petrus did make two changes in this newer version ... there could be more but I've only noticed these two. He changed the default search engine from DuckDuckGo to Google. Also, the User folder was empty in the earlier version but now has a Default - chrome folder inside ... nothing else until New Moon is started and then the whole User folder fills up with all the settings.

Seems to run just fine so far.

callahan

New Moon "27.6.0a1" actually means "trunk" build. It build against git HEAD. Pale Moon sources doesn't use date tag and it is frozen to 20100101.

To see what is changed, please read the section "Official repo changes since my last build" and "My changes since my last build"(if available)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2017 03:15PM by roytam1.

Date: October 18, 2017 03:20PM

Yogi
No XP here. Wondering though what advantage an outdated PaleMoon (NewMoon) can offer over the original, which is actual and still maintained, namely Firefox ESR.
While K-Meleon which is also a fork, comes whith a lot of conveniences compared to Firefox, I couldn't notice any convenience offered by PaleMoon (except maybe for the old squared style instead of the roundish one).

As for being more light, a general rule of thumb - the older the browser the more lightweigh it is, since over the time tons of more or less usefull features have been added. Some of those new features can be disabled in Firefox ("about:config") and its forks.

Yes Pale Moon forks from Firefox 24 ESR, but it has been adding many modern features making it working well with most modern websites.

And for "Why having a PMXP build?" question, the answer is simple: "Hey it is Firefox without Australis! It can play H.264 videos without installing Adobe component in XP! What else you need besides them?"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2017 03:25PM by roytam1.

Date: October 18, 2017 10:38PM

Thanks roytam1 for paying us a visit and explaining more about your New Moon project over at MSFN. You are correct that the thread is not locked ... I don't know where I got that impression.

It seems to be a more secure browser for these times.

Will follow your New Moon thread over at MSFN ... maybe post here every so often to answer questions or clear something up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2017 06:08AM by callahan.

Date: October 19, 2017 06:05AM

Great topic; great thread; great browser, especially !!

That being said - have I quit using K-Meleon ?? No way.

Each has its ups & downs so that having both is wonderful.

Since FF became just another lobotomized chrome clone I have only insults for it.

Strongly by way of contrast to the above:
I have ONLY gratitude & praise to offer the wonderful & talented folks who bring us such wonderful gifts as New Moon & K-Meleon.

Thank You !!!

Date: October 19, 2017 06:24AM

Yes I agree ... K-Meleon and New Moon is a good mix to have available for various web sites. In the General section there is a post by J.G. from October 16 titled ...

Settings for 256bit encryption only
October 16, 2017

I decided yesterday to 'experiment' with his information and put those settings into New Moon, K-Meleon 75.1 and the last Pale Moon version for XP. I went to the SSL test page with each browser and got very good results.

So far all three browsers are working OK and I will continue to use or 'test' them for several days. I will probably just stay with those 256bit encryption settings.

just to add ... I get these readings at the SSL test page for New Moon and the TLS 1.3 Protocol ... Yes.

New Moon:

Protocols

TLS 1.3 Yes
TLS 1.2 Yes
TLS 1.1 Yes
TLS 1.0 Yes
SSL 3 No
SSL 2 No

K-Meleon 75.1

Protocols

TLS 1.3 No
TLS 1.2 Yes
TLS 1.1 Yes
TLS 1.0 Yes
SSL 3 No
SSL 2 No

Pale Moon (Last XP version)

Protocols

TLS 1.3 No
TLS 1.2 Yes
TLS 1.1 Yes
TLS 1.0 Yes
SSL 3 No
SSL 2 No

callahan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2017 07:02AM by callahan.

Date: October 19, 2017 12:18PM

callahan
Yes I agree ... K-Meleon and New Moon is a good mix to have available for various web sites. In the General section there is a post by J.G. from October 16 titled ...

Settings for 256bit encryption only
October 16, 2017

I decided yesterday to 'experiment' with his information and put those settings into New Moon, K-Meleon 75.1 and the last Pale Moon version for XP. I went to the SSL test page with each browser and got very good results.

So far all three browsers are working OK and I will continue to use or 'test' them for several days. I will probably just stay with those 256bit encryption settings.

just to add ... I get these readings at the SSL test page for New Moon and the TLS 1.3 Protocol ... Yes.

New Moon:

Protocols

TLS 1.3 Yes
TLS 1.2 Yes
TLS 1.1 Yes
TLS 1.0 Yes
SSL 3 No
SSL 2 No

K-Meleon 75.1

Protocols

TLS 1.3 No
TLS 1.2 Yes
TLS 1.1 Yes
TLS 1.0 Yes
SSL 3 No
SSL 2 No

Pale Moon (Last XP version)

Protocols

TLS 1.3 No
TLS 1.2 Yes
TLS 1.1 Yes
TLS 1.0 Yes
SSL 3 No
SSL 2 No

callahan

Huh?

When I visit https://blog.cloudflare.com/introducing-tls-1-3/ , it shows "AES-GCM, 128 bit keys, TLS 1.3" to me.

Date: October 19, 2017 05:30PM

I am just using this site that was mentioned some months ago at MSFN in one of the threads:

SSL/TLS Capabilities of Your Browser

User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:52.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.4 Firefox/52.9 PaleMoon/27.6.0a1

Protocol Support

Your user agent has good protocol support.

Your user agent supports TLS 1.2, which is recommended protocol version at the moment.

Experimental: Your user agent supports TLS 1.3.

... there is more information provided.

Protocols

TLS 1.3 Yes
TLS 1.2 Yes
TLS 1.1 Yes
TLS 1.0 Yes
SSL 3 No
SSL 2 No

Cipher Suites (in order of preference)

TLS_AES_128_GCM_SHA256 (0x1301) Forward Secrecy 128
TLS_CHACHA20_POLY1305_SHA256 (0x1303) Forward Secrecy 256
TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384 (0x1302) Forward Secrecy 256
TLS_ECDHE_ECDSA_WITH_CHACHA20_POLY1305_SHA256 (0xcca9) Forward Secrecy 256
TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_CHACHA20_POLY1305_SHA256 (0xcca8) Forward Secrecy 256
TLS_ECDHE_ECDSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384 (0xc02c) Forward Secrecy 256
TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384 (0xc030) Forward Secrecy 256
TLS_ECDHE_ECDSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA (0xc00a) Forward Secrecy 256
TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA (0xc014) Forward Secrecy 256
TLS_DHE_RSA_WITH_CAMELLIA_128_CBC_SHA (0x45) Forward Secrecy 128
TLS_DHE_RSA_WITH_CAMELLIA_256_CBC_SHA (0x88) Forward Secrecy 256
TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384 (0x9d) 256
TLS_RSA_WITH_CAMELLIA_128_CBC_SHA (0x41) 128
TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA (0x35) 256
TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA256 (0x3d) 256
TLS_RSA_WITH_CAMELLIA_256_CBC_SHA (0x84) 256

(1) When a browser supports SSL 2, its SSL 2-only suites are shown only on the very first connection to this site. To see the suites, close all browser windows, then open this exact page directly. Don't refresh.

Date: November 05, 2017 09:32AM

Since there are no newer posts ... not sure if anyone is interested but people may be following the MSFN thread. There was a newer build by roytam1 released on Friday.

Pale Moon-27.7.0a1.win32-git-20171104 ... he had several releases in October.

I have sort of made my own Franken Moon version ... using the last Pale Moon version for XP (Pale Moon v26.5.0 portable) and one item from the petrus version and then I update the whole thing with the latest roytami version into the Bin folder.

Roytam1 explained in his thread why he won't make a 'portable' version, so my Franken Moon version is portable with all the latest updates and fixes from roytami.

It is a very good browser for my XP setup and I am using it along with K-Meleon 75.1 and K-Meleon 1.8.24.

One thing I had to change or abandon was the information by J.G. ... "Settings for 256bit encryption only" ... I tried those settings and ran into a few web pages that would not open, one being Wikipedia.

From MSFN ... roytam1 (11-04-2017) Page 10

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/177125-my-build-of-new-moon-temp-name-aka-pale-moon-for-xp/?page=10

New Build!

32bit https://o.rthost.win/palemoon/palemoon-27.7.0a1.win32-git-20171104-39bf9f15c-xpmod.7z

64bit https://o.rthost.win/palemoon/palemoon-27.7.0a1.win64-git-20171104-39bf9f15c-xpmod.7z

Official repo changes since my last build:
- Broken selection system inside of a nested contenteditable element (15c0d1a3e)
- Improve upmix function for mono sound to work on multi-channel setups. (77f0f43d8)
- Merge pull request #1434 from janekptacijarabaci/elements_contenteditable_1 (e59d0e25e)
- Fix Windows 10 detection in GfxInfo and remove obsolete entries. (e489cea1d)
- Enable paste event listener in documents with no editor component. (6d27a5221)
- Handle uninstalls of restartless addons in XPIProvider (69bc810f7)
- Сode style adjustment (332585f47)
- Merge pull request #1440 from JustOff/PR_restartless_uninstalls (0c11ba193)
- Version bump for new cycle. (4c1fd5f1a)
- Update README.md (4cbbddf8f)
- Port upstream patch for ICU to fix building with glibc 2.26+ on Linux. (617d3a392)
- Switch sync and key server to palemoon.org (39bf9f15c)

My changes since my last build:
- Update libvpx from Firefox 52
- Revert e489cea1d but leave Win10 fix
- Added a dummy console.clear() implementation, running such will produce an continuable error "Unknown Console API log level: clear" in javascript console instead of an uncontinuable "TypeError: console.clear is undefined"
------------------------------------------------

My Franken Moon browser still gets a good test result from the SSL Test page.

Protocol Features:

TLS 1.3 Yes
TLS 1.2 Yes
TLS 1.1 Yes
TLS 1.0 Yes
SSL 3 No
SSL 2 No

... and all the other results are good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2017 09:34AM by callahan.

Date: November 05, 2017 06:13PM

Hi Callahan.
Thanks for keeping this thread updated with the latest news about this.

Might you be willing to share your Franken Moon portable version ??

I'd love to try it out.

Thanks & Best Wishes.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.