Off-Topic :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All which isn't K-Meleon related. 
CA Certificates Extracted from Mozilla
Posted by: callahan
Date: December 24, 2017 03:25PM

Over at the Proxomitron forum this information was posted by amy dealing with:

Adapting proxo 4.5 to the latest OpenSSL DLLs

She posted this ...

"Also, if you're looking for a certs.pem you can use the cacert.pem from http://curl.haxx.se/docs/caextract.html (you'll have to rename it to certs.pem for Proxomitron to load it), this is the same set of certificates that Firefox has."

CA certificates extracted from Mozilla
Related: SSL Certs

The Mozilla CA certificate store in PEM format (around 250KB uncompressed):

cacert.pem

This bundle was generated at Wed Sep 20 2017 GMT.

https://curl.haxx.se/docs/caextract.html

Don't know if this would be of any use to anyone here for updated certs. The last download is dated Sept 20, 2017.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2017 03:26PM by callahan.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CA Certificates Extracted from Mozilla
Posted by: siria
Date: December 24, 2017 03:36PM

Thanks for posting such general tips. Appreciate it, the only prob is lacking skills and time to learn and implement it, sigh.

But missing CERTs are meanwhile becoming the biggest prob on KM1.6, a real pest! On perfectly harmless public sites too. So for at least a quick look and perhaps download, I clicked your two links above.

Result - all to well known by now...

An error occurred during a connection to curl.haxx.se [+other link too]
Cannot communicate securely with peer: no common encryption algorithm(s).
(Error code: ssl_error_no_cypher_overlap)

har har :cool:

Date: December 24, 2017 05:08PM

Thanks ... yes, I also don't understand all the "inner workings" of almost everything but I pick this up 'here and there' and sometimes can make use of it.

Quote:

An error occurred during a connection to curl.haxx.se [+other link too]
Cannot communicate securely with peer: no common encryption algorithm(s).
(Error code: ssl_error_no_cypher_overlap)

I didn't run into that issue when going to that website. I'm using the latest KM 76 update by roytam1 (12-23-2017) and the web page opens OK as any normal page.

I just wondered if those updated certs from Sept would be of use to anyone working on a project of their own. At least they can bookmark the page for future need.

callahan

Posted by: smallhagrid
Date: December 24, 2017 09:48PM

Thanks Again Callahan !!
That site opened fine in KM for me, but I do not know what I'd do with the offered certs...perhaps someone who knows lots about this will post here and clue us all in ?!?

Best Wishes to All !!

Date: December 24, 2017 11:14PM

Have zero clue about certificates, so not sure if that's what you need, but in KM a Cert-manager is found here:
Tools > Privacy > View Data > View Certificates
Quite well hidden ;-)
And it's not just for viewing, one can also import them too and lots other actions.

Date: December 24, 2017 11:45PM

Thanks for the KM information about where the certs are in K-Meleon. I was interested in seeing if I can update the certs in an older version of KM.

KM 1.8.24.22 by adodupan I still use sometimes and I figure those certs are very old by now. I have no idea if I can update those certs or if that certs download would even work in KM 1.8.

I was just going to experiment and see what happens. That was one idea I had ... others may have other ideas.

Date: December 24, 2017 11:55PM

Sounds interesting for me too. Perhaps there's a tiny chance to also import them in KM1.6...

Just curious, why still 1.8 (KM74 sibling)? Special features or something...?

Date: December 25, 2017 12:25AM

I always liked the KM 1.8 version. It was light and very fast ... I guess it was pre KM 74 or a test version of KM 74.

It wasn't widely talked about as I remember but I moved from KM 1.6 to KM 1.8 and just got to like it.

Someone here may be able to help with infoemation about updating the certs in KM 1.6 and KM 1.8 ... it would sure be nice if that certs download can work to that end.

I don't use KM 1.8 as much since roytam1 came and started working with KM 76 ... I really like the current version and mostly use it for everything. The certs seem to be updated in the roytam1 version ... gets a good test result at the SSL web site.

The older version of KM 76 Pro had some issues that do not show up in the version by roytam1.

Posted by: smallhagrid
Date: December 25, 2017 09:05PM

Bwah-ah-ah !!
If this info can be pinned down somehow & fixes SSL problems in older browsers...
PocketKM will get LOTS more use here !!!
'Tis the lightest, fastest browser that I still have & I miss using it daily.

Re: Certificates
Date: December 28, 2017 06:35PM

Came across callahans posting from last may, concerning certificates, some tool from the MSFN forum. All still over my head, but would like to link it here in this special CERT thread, just so it can be found easier.

callahan
Yes, I was going to mention that tool to update certificates. I use it and it's very good. I will go into some detail here about it. It was developed by heinoganda, who is a sharp, knowledgeable contributor there for WinXP.
(...)

Long post, continue here:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,141855,141862#msg-141862

Re: Certificates
Date: December 29, 2017 10:28AM

siria ... I remembered that I had posted some certs information earlier but I could not remember when or where.

Heinoganda's certificate tool is still there and working. I use it for IE8 and my WinXP setup ... but it doesn't help with K-Meleon at all. I think I am correct in saying that.

I asked heinoganda over at the MSFN forum some time back ... if a person really needs these certificate updates if they no longer use Internet Explorer 8 with WinXP as a browser. At the time all I was using was was KM 1.8 and KM 75 and also Pale Moon (last XP version).

He replied that updated certs should still be downloaded or applied. They may be needed by other items or programs ... if I understood correctly. I continue to update with his update tool.

I think New Moon is currently updated by roytam1 but not sure about his KM version ... it may be.

SSL Test Page

https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/viewMyClient.html#1514542800184&frame_loaded

When I go to the SSL Test Page ... I get a better reading than I did with KM76 Pro. With roytam1's version, I get this newer reading.

"TLS 1.3 Yes"

Your user agent has good protocol support.
Your user agent supports TLS 1.2, which is recommended protocol version at the moment.
Experimental: Your user agent supports TLS 1.3.

Protocol Features

Protocols:

TLS 1.3 Yes
TLS 1.2 Yes
TLS 1.1 Yes
TLS 1.0 Yes
SSL 3 No
SSL 2 No

... with Pale Moon and KM76 Pro the TLS 1.3 was always 'No'. I really know very little about all this but it seems to me a "Yes" is better than a "No".

Someone else can explain everything better.

callahan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2017 10:30AM by callahan.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.