Off-Topic :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All which isn't K-Meleon related. 
Help fixing Windows 8 pet peeve?
Posted by: sendhelp
Date: April 16, 2016 05:54AM

I'm taking my IE favorites and putting them in folders so I can find them easier, right? So I click edit favorites and it pulls up the location on my PC where my favorites are (not in an app, in the integrated file explorer) and lo and behold, my computer thinks I'm giving it harmful files again (screenshot included).

What I need help with is that it always selects cancel instead of the most recent option I've hit. Here's what it says when you click "How do I decide whether to unblock these files?" (screenshot).

Just to be sure no one says to "unblock these files", I went to IE10 in the internet options and changed security from default to the lowest and turned protected mode off (because IE10 internet options sometimes affect file explorer and other apps). Then, I went into the control panel, User Accounts And Family Safety, System And Security, Change User Account Control Settings, and slid the slider from default to the lowest possible point on the slide bar.

At this point, you would be sure your computer is pretty much alright with getting viruses and harmful files because at the bottom of the bar it says "Never notify me when: •apps try to install software or make changed to my computer •I make changes to Windows settings Not recommended"

After that, I went into Windows defender and, in admin settings, I unchecked Turn On This App and clicked save changed. (screenshot proof).

Then, I went into MalwareBytes AntiMalware settings and made sure potentially unwanted modification protection was disabled, disabled everything else in the MBAM Protection And Detection folder, and closed to save it.

Now all my firewalls are turned off, MBAM is on the lowest amount of protection it can give me, my IE10 security settings are off, and my User settings are all off as I type this. I still can't move favorites around without the notification. Is there a way to make these notifications act like normal notifications which auto-select the last hit button, or a way to modify Windows 8 to permanently stop telling me which files are harmful or not? I mean Jesus Christ I would take Windows XP if half of my applications worked on it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help fixing Windows 8 pet peeve?
Date: April 16, 2016 06:05AM

I uninstalled MBAM and restarted while all the safety settings were still at 0 but no dice

Posted by: siria
Date: April 16, 2016 11:13AM

Grrr.... MS again.
But would rather try a search engine, gives a 1000x better chance to find a solution than here in this tiny forum.

For example searching this in google gives lots of hits:
"favorites" "these files might be harmful"

"Love" especially this one:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie10-windows_7/getting-error-when-i-try-moving-favorites-with/442102d7-f91e-4bda-b94f-7f17f70a326a

Update 3:
Microsoft answered at Microsoft connect:
Posted by Microsoft on 3/19/2013
Thank you for your feedback. The issue you are reporting is by design. Best regards, The Internet Explorer Team

MS....... typical!!

But there are others, e.g. this one gives more hope:
http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/162828-solved-annoying-pop-ups/?page=2

Didn't study it too deeply, but perhaps just changing the folder location or name might help. Or the tool. In KM you can add a tiny macro to freely replace the default "Edit" path and app.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2016 11:16AM by siria.

Date: April 16, 2016 04:45PM

siria
Grrr.... MS again.
But would rather try a search engine, gives a 1000x better chance to find a solution than here in this tiny forum.
Sorry, I thought my problem wouldn't get any hits because it is such a minor problem for standard users. It looks like I'm going to have to use a program implicitly made for moving files between folders (7-zip dual screen mode) or change options in GPedit.msc (which Windows 8 doesn't come with). Thanks for your help. The reason I posted it on here was because I've seen how you guys are good with computers & I'm just trying to figure this thing out

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.