Off-Topic :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All which isn't K-Meleon related. 
security, recommended, and optional updates
Posted by: phil
Date: August 04, 2016 10:20PM

Got a used laptop with Windows 8.1 Pro from a family member. Ran 'installed updates' and found security, recommended, and optional updates installed. Is it realistic to uninstall all updates except security updates and expect the laptop to run ok?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: security, recommended, and optional updates
Posted by: Yogi
Date: August 04, 2016 10:50PM

I can't tell what kind of modifications MS made to the OS through its recommended and optional updates.
All I can tell is that since W2k, now I'm on Win7, I install only security updates and never had any problems.

If it was me, I'd uninstall all recommended and optional updates and if something would go wrong I'd rather reinstall the OS.
If you don't have a CD for a fresh install you could make a restore point or an image of your HD to be on the safe side.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: August 04, 2016 11:11PM

well it's OK to uninstall any update you want.

But I wouldn't advice to uninstall 'recommended' updates - there may be some that have fixed real usabililty-related bugs.

But if you just want to clean out some telemetry junk - then you can use ready apps or scripts from here and there all over the web.

Posted by: Yogi
Date: August 05, 2016 01:17AM

If I recall exactly, the nagging screen for Win10 came also with a 'recommended' update and it wasn't the only offender among those updates. smiling smiley
Since I install only security fixes I got spared by such annoyances.

As for Win10 which is OT here, you can't scrap all the telemetry junk. Only viable option seems to be at router lever. However, every new update can smuggle new joys to keep script writers busy. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2016 01:19AM by Yogi.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.