Off-Topic :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All which isn't K-Meleon related. 
Enabling RSS Feed button
Posted by: Stas
Date: December 12, 2016 09:51AM

KMeleon Ver: 75.1

Q: How to MAKE "RSS" button on toolbar (Mail/News Buttons) to open RSS reader DIRECTLY, in ONE mouse click?

The button doesn't seem to do anything (on left click), and it's possible to start RSS reader only via main menu or selection in context menu (righ-click on RSS button).

Possible to achive this though changes in CFG and KMM files?

Thank you.
S.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Enabling RSS Feed button (newsfox)
Posted by: siria
Date: December 12, 2016 09:46PM

That's a neverending story, sigh. No big deal, but the simplest fixes often take the longest time to get added to the official downloads - in this case since many years. The latest thread about RSS you'll find by a search for "newsfox", which is included out-of-box.

Am not quite up-to-date how it all works meanwhile, but just a quick and dirty fix by hardcoding this native RSS reader:

Create an empty file with notepad in the macros folder, name it whatever you want with ending "*.kmm", and write this line into it:

$RSS="NewsFox";

Restart browser and report back if it works...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2016 09:50PM by siria.

Posted by: Stas
Date: December 14, 2016 12:07PM

Created file "feed.kmm" with single line
$RSS="NewsFox

NOthing else? No changes anywhere else? Strange.
It doesn't work. When I click on RSS icon in toolbar Kmeleon simply crashes.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: December 14, 2016 03:02PM

It seems like Dorian tried to implement direct JS-based creation for menus but this doesn't work for buttons or job wasn't finished.

So I solved this the old way: open main.kmm (backup it first!) find there this code:
$RSS="";
RSS{
macroinfo=_("Perform the RSS button action");
macros($RSS);
}
and replace with:
$RSS="";
RSS{
macroinfo=_("Perform the RSS button action");
opentab("chrome://newsfox/content/newsfox.xul");
}

Date: December 15, 2016 12:03AM

Oops sorry, should have tested first :cool: But the crash is strange, should do either nothing or at most list a message in the error console.

Anyway, as Rodocop already explained, in the newer KM versions the newsreader menus are not created by a simple macro (*.kmm) anymore, but by the xpi-addon itself - how THAT works is slightly beyond my reach. While the Button (toolbar.cfg) still calls a "macro" named RSS (in main.kmm), which in turn calls a second macro but that's not created anymore. Great. Suppose it could have to do with more flexibilty, NewsFox shall not be hardcoded anymore but be optional... because when I use the menu, KM suggests me the native windows default tool.

Just glad hardcoding still is possible too :cool:

Date: December 15, 2016 12:21AM

PS: an alternative to tinkering with main.kmm, and also to avoid the risk of accidentally overwriting this again at a KM update, would be a separate macro again. Like above, just with an additional path in it now.
(encoding in KM usually UTF-8, filename for example newsfox_rss.kmm)

$RSS="NewsFox";
NewsFox{
opentab("chrome://newsfox/content/newsfox.xul");
}

That will then be called by the RSS-macro from main.kmm
(=> macros($RSS)=macros(NewsFox) now)
If the reader shall open in a new window instead a tab (which costs a lot of toolbar height), the command "opennew" could be used, but it doesn't open maximized. That's another subject again. Have inspected my older macro fix newsfox.kmm (mentioned in first post), it contained a workaround to open maximized in KM75.0. KM75.1 is newer and needs less workarounds, but not sure which, and at least the workarounds shouldn't harm so what ;-)

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.