Off-Topic :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All which isn't K-Meleon related. 
Beyond 1024 x 768
Posted by: msea
Date: January 04, 2017 02:38PM

Issue with Win XP Home SP3 using "extended" laptop and external monitor...

I'm using K-Meleon to go thru news in the morning and also for research as I write stuff on Kompozer. My BenQ FP767 external monitor is maxing out at 1024 x 768. It can't read any higher resolution in a more compact, screen-fitting way.

However, when I use the same BenQ monitor with another laptop running Win 7, I can get much higher resolutions that fit the screen.

On the Win XP laptop with extended monitors, I updated my ATI Radeon Xpress 200 Series driver and also installed the BenQ FP767 driver, replacing whatever came with Win XP.

I don't understand why I'm stuck at 1024 x 768 with Win XP and am wondering if any of you tech savvy folks would have any suggestions.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Beyond 1024 x 768
Posted by: rodocop
Date: January 05, 2017 06:32PM

What happens if you set 1280x1024?

How does it handle this?

Date: January 06, 2017 05:38PM

rodocop
What happens if you set 1280x1024?

How does it handle this?

It slides. That is, it extends horizontally and verticaly without compacting. So I have to use the mouse to slide it right/left and up/down to see all content.

I've never seen this before. Possibly there's a Win XP update that could fix it. When I last did a fresh instal I didn't do Win update because it takes so long and slows down the laptop.

But I did manually update the graphics and monitor drivers.

Thanks for asking. Right now it's okay because I'm using this setup for casual things. Like this! smiling smiley

Posted by: rodocop
Date: January 07, 2017 06:28PM

hmmm...

sounds quite mysterious ;-)

Date: January 07, 2017 11:42PM

It's an old monitor. One of my neighbors was throwing it out! One of those early LCDs with fat back. I only had to pay for the cable. smiling smiley

Posted by: siria
Date: January 08, 2017 01:09AM

Not savvy at all, sorry. And there are SO few people here, and it's not KM-related, so this sounds like a better chance...?

http://www.google.com/search?q=stuck+at+1024+x+768+with+Win+XP&num=30&nfpr=1&gbv=1

Date: January 08, 2017 05:39AM

siria
Not savvy at all, sorry. And there are SO few people here, and it's not KM-related, so this sounds like a better chance...?

http://www.google.com/search?q=stuck+at+1024+x+768+with+Win+XP&num=30&nfpr=1&gbv=1

Thank you so much for suggesting this. I did not think to do a web search to see if others had a similar problem. I guess I just figured the monitor was so old that nobody would have had same problem.

Anyhow, a search revealed that in the advanced ATI settings i could fix it. Now enjoying 1280 x 1024!

Much appreciated, all who helped. smiling smiley

Posted by: Mikk
Date: January 08, 2017 05:17PM

If you say its an old monitor: It remembers me to my 1st LCD 15" Acer AL511 I bought sometimes about 2003. It responded in similar kind as you describe on PC where a 1280x1024 monitor was installed. More, the conflict led to a graphic non clean representation. (I believed what people said 15" LCD is the same as 17" CRT - correct only in regard to the whole picture size but not to the resolution, of course, I realized it to my disappointment very soon - and it was the 1st LCD under 300 $ on the swiss market; I was happy to purchase meanwhile also much cheaper 17" "adult" size 1280x1024 about 2 1/2 years later and to sale that child toy some months before the end of the warranty, a few months later were such things definitively no more sellable.)

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2017 11:35PM by Mikk.

Date: January 09, 2017 02:21PM

Mikk
If you say its an old monitor: It remembers me to my 1st LCD 15" Acer AL511 I bought sometimes about 2003. It responded in similar kind as you describe on PC where a 1280x1024 monitor was installed. More, the conflict led to a graphic non clean representation. (I believed what people said 15" LCD is the same as 17" CRT - correct only in regard to the whole picture size but not to the resolution, of course, I realized it to my disappointment very soon - and it was the 1st LCD under 300 $ on the swiss market; I was happy to purchase meanwhile also much cheaper 17" "adult" size 1280x1024 about 2 1/2 years later and to sale that child toy some months before the end of the warranty, a few months later were such things definitively no more sellable.)

It's insane how expensive flatscreen monitors were when they first came out. I bought a BenQ 19" LCD for something crazy like $500 and realized that it was just too much money. So I returned it. Luckily we had a superstore here in Toronto that gave you two weeks grace period for a hassle free return. I made do with a 17" CRT for a long time. Then I finally purchased a 19" Best Buy (big American company) CRT just before they stopped selling them. It was a house brand and a good price! I still use my 19" CRT in my bedroom for watching TV or movies. I actually like it better than LCD or LED in some ways. The color depth seems greater. And it reads low res material better. Also, you can view from any angle and not lose contrast.

I am probably one of the few in Canada to still use CRT in some capacity! smiling smiley But the way I look at it, some people like vintage automobiles, and I like vintage electronics...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2017 02:21PM by msea.

Posted by: Mikk
Date: January 09, 2017 09:17PM

In 2001 I could read in one magazine in my employment, there is a new technology for one step in the fabrication of LC-displays making the production yield massive better than under the former kind of this operation, following the prices of LCD monitors will go down. Than, I remember the big run on the electro shop of one supermarket here when the first "very cheap" flatscreen monitors occured - about 1'000 $tongue sticking out smileygrinning smiley (I don't know the label more, I think it was a 17 or 19"). I thought about to purchase it too, thanks to God I didn'tsmiling smiley.

I have still my 1st 17" (Acer AL1715) but I don't use it more - its colours are not very good and also its startup time is too long. But I have now 5 other flat screen monitors in addition. For 1 of them I must pay about 5 (fivegrinning smiley) symbolic $, the rest I got completely free, people wanted to throw them away. The last of them: In the last spring I got from somebody in my neighborhood a 20" Samsung 204B 1600 x 1200. But here I have allready a little problem. My very old PC (IBM 300PL, the 1st version) has only 4 MB video memory, following I can use no High-Color modus on 1600 x 1200, only the True-Color with 16 bit colour depth; the display area is imposant and only for looking I feel that 16 bit (65'536 colours anyway) enough but I need often to save a screenshot as a file and here is 24 bit necessary.

My CRT - an IBM 17" (I think one of the best or even the best CRT in this category) - I have still too. I like it, I gave a special granit look to it. By practical reasons I don't use it any more, indeed, but it has a big nostalgic worth for me.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2017 09:50PM by Mikk.

Date: January 10, 2017 02:50PM

That's interesting to hear the economics and buying/disposing patterns in your country. It seems like very high at first and then next to nothing. Swiss banks are gold standard. I believe your currency is strong? So why the massive initial price? I mean, our initial price was high but not that high. And we usually have a 25% weaker dollar than the US dollar. Not always mind you, for a while our dollar was stronger. But the PTB (powers that be) tend to keep it down lower.

I had a friend in Japan who told me in the mid-to-late 1980s (that's when I knew him) the Japanese would thrown out their TVs if they were just one year old! They had to have the latest and greatest. I bet S. Korea is the same now..

I have an ACER LCD with VGA not HDMI input. I like it. I think it's 23 or 24 inches. I purchased it just before VGA was discontinued. Great deal. Like 100 dollars CDN. Also an LG LCD in the basement... another old one given to me by someone who didn't want it any more.

So for me that's 3 LCDs and one CRT!

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2017 02:59PM by msea.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.