Off-Topic :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All which isn't K-Meleon related. 
Gamez: more than a life!
Posted by: rodocop
Date: April 13, 2017 03:09AM

Well, folks - we speak here about different things: OSes, apps, books, jokes and even politics.

Now I would start a talk about digital (PC and other platforms) games.

Why? Maybe cause even my nickname is heredity of playing network deatmatch in Quake I and II? (There were some moded skins and I've selected Robocop one - the next step was to select this nickname. Could I make another choice, really? )

So, folks:
are you playing something in this virtual world? What are you prefs here?

About me: like real K-Meleonaire, I'm a sort of oldtimer. I love great oldschool software (like our browser) and same type of games.
Moreover: while life-run luckily cannot make old games as useless or unusable as most old apps, my favourite games through years remain the same:
- Accolade F1 (from 1990)
- King's Bounty
- Wolf3D
- Doom (I, II and other additions on the same first engine)
- X-COM (UFO & TFTD)
- Transport Tycoon (TTD)

Well, there were number of other games played with great fun - for me mostly FP shooters (command and tactical preferred) and non-realtime strategies (turn-based like UFO or hybrid like TTD). Counter Strike, DukeNukem, Return to Castle Wolf., Venom. Codename: Outbreak, Call of Duty, Simutrans and so on - but the greatest hits are recalled in first list ;-)

Great news: years usually give old games second or even third life! ZDoom or GL-Doom, OpenTTD - they allow us to replay our best experience from past decades! And even without that numerous setup troubles we were digging through 20 years ago!

But last week I decide to replay the best tactical (IMHO) in the world - X-COM:UFO defense.

And I found that last years were devoted to development of modern remake - OpenXCom (OXC). It fixes the horde of well-known famous bugs of original UFO and is easy in setup, cross-platform and moddable.

And I found a number of old UFO-fans, who also come back to the roots and start to replay this 'superclasico' over and over - with different settings and mods, making this Great Game almost eternal.

So did I - falling in this abyss, named X-COM (or UFO)...

And what is your diagnosis?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2017 12:40PM by rodocop.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gamez: more than a life!
Posted by: siria
Date: April 13, 2017 09:17AM

rodocop
There were some moded skins and I've selected Rodocop one - the next step was to select this nickname. Could I make another choice, really?

LOL!! Am not a gamer, at all, sorry. But your nick sure couldn't be any more fitting, and double fitting since today grinning smiley grinning smiley

Date: April 13, 2017 12:43PM

Well, night writing isn't good idea

Sure, the skin was named Robocop, but combined with my real name (Rodion) it produced my nickname :drool:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2017 12:43PM by rodocop.

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: April 13, 2017 02:51PM

I'm not a gamer (modern meaning), but I play games. I played games, would be more correct. As my hardware got old and I have a few problems with it, theoretical fixable, but I just didn't get my hand on them, I don't play much now. I have the higher specs PC that was going to be the Linux hosts, and maybe playing host but last year, and this one... it is being not very peaceful to take hand of it either.

But now I'm spending some time in low resources games like arcade games (MAME or other old console emulators, like NES), some minutes when I feel or bored or nothing better to do.

I also like the real time strategy games (I don't like turns based) and the last serious game I took hands of was "Blood & Magic" (the old DOS game, through DosBox). But I quit. God damn, some levels are quite frustrating. Old strategy games were harder then current.

Now that you talk about Doom and Doom 2, for the first time I full played (tried Doom 1 earlier) and ended the last year, about this time, February-April.

But I played all games almost all genres. Maybe I played more shooters, or not, I don't have a list. I miss them, now that I can't play.

I don't have a nickname. I'm more a single player than online/LAN. And if I play online, I ever choose different nicks or my own real name.

I do have Steam and Origin accounts but I only have them for legal purposes and I don't touch them since they kinda dropped support for XP platform.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2017 04:24PM by JohnHell.

Date: April 13, 2017 03:30PM

Well, I had several nicknames too. But only one became my universal 'virtual personal brand' ;-)

My reasons for stop playing were also not only in fields of age and being busy. The old hardware prevents me from playing modern 3D-gfxed games like new shooters etc.

But old games still are better in pure gameplay and thanks to gaming comminities many of them are available as modern ports - both functional, easy to setup and lightweight.

Just like X-Com. But I should open new worlds - for example RTS (which was mostly ignored by me).

What would you recomment here? Can you say something about Total Annigilation for example? (I found TA: Escalation as very intriguing specimen)

Date: April 13, 2017 03:59PM

When I said I played all games, I should have said, I played all genres (or almost).

I haven't played that game, so, but looks like Command&Conquer Red Alert. Must be nice if it is equilibrated.

I'm not good into suggestions. I play what looks fine, if I don't like, I just throw away

Date: April 13, 2017 04:05PM

Thank you anyway! I share your approach to game selection. I will try your suggestion alongside with my own ;-)

Date: April 13, 2017 04:27PM

What are your specs?

If you like star wars you have quite a few entertaining, like RPGs like "Knights of The old Republic" (aka KoToR) or "Jedi Knight, Jedi Academy".

They are as old now as 10 years, and shouldn't take much resources, at least "Jedi Knight, Jedi Academy".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2017 04:27PM by JohnHell.

Posted by: panzer
Date: April 17, 2017 01:51PM

Played several dozen games in the past, but since my computer is über old, I'm playing older games every here and there now (or newer ones with low requirements).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2017 01:53PM by panzer.

Posted by: Slayer
Date: April 18, 2017 02:26AM

I'm on the same here: old computer, old games fan. When I played games, usually the default name is Player, so because I'm lazy I just changed the P to an S, Slayer is cool enough.
I also played Doom, Quake, Half-Life and many FPS.
I don't know if it is still free, but "Hidden and Dangerous Deluxe" was released for free with advertisements. It is a First person/third person tactic game. I recommend that.
P.S:
Okay, I don't post here much lately, but I liked the thread haha.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.