Off-Topic :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All which isn't K-Meleon related. 
Millions of devices at high risk because of Intel's backdoor planted into their chips
Posted by: Yogi
Date: November 22, 2017 08:19AM

Millions of devices at high risk because of Intel's backdoor planted into their chips.

Kudos to Mark Ermolov and Maxim Goryachy who discoverd the issue and addressed it to Intel.
I assume that some people at the headquarters of a three-letter agency and some of Intel's headquarters are very annoyed now because of those two researchers.

Now Intel can't downplay the facts as they did in the past.<Intel x86 CPUs Come with a Secret Backdoor That Nobody Can Touch or Disable>

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Millions of devices at high risk because of Intel's backdoor planted into their chips
Posted by: IzayoiFlandre
Date: November 22, 2017 09:02AM

Ugh.
Intel have since around 2009 been a bad company, who cares if they're processors are better and faster than say, AMD's, implementing backdoors like this is really stupid sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2017 09:02AM by IzayoiFlandre.

Re: Millions of devices at high risk because of Intel's backdoor planted into their chips
Posted by: smallhagrid
Date: November 22, 2017 08:47PM

Wintel inside...sneaky outside.

Folks started discovering & mentioning back doors in wintel stuff even as far back as 1995.

Is -any- tech gear of any kind keeping a proper regard for privacy anymore ??
Doubtful.

There is, and has been - exactly ONE way to keep data as private as possible:
No internet connection of any sort.

For example=>
It is actually possible to have a whole internal network to run a business & keep its records private by simply having zero internet connected to that network.
I have set this up for a small business & it worked flawlessly for many years, until one of its partners forced a change - then the malware & other problems arrived without delay (I was delighted to walk away from that nightmare...).

Bottom line for me:
The internet is a wide open public network.
All of the hooey about SSL and so forth does not change that.
For me, it is best to simply accept things as they really are - because the alternative is to become obsessive & go nuts about something totally beyond reach.
I'll just keep whatever sanity as I have, thanks.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: November 22, 2017 11:05PM

Should be offtopic in offtopic, but Positive Technologies (their people found that Intel hole) is great software company from my city, St.Petersburg.

And earlier they created great and lightweight security tool PT Startup Monitor that checks startup sections of Windows registry in realtime and notifies you if some app tryes to add itself to autostart.

It's non-developed for years but still available and useful for old PC's under XP.

Date: November 23, 2017 12:51AM

- Speaking of offtopic in offtopic and Russian software -
IMHO, the most comprehensive TaskManager I'm using since many years: TaskInfo from Igor Arsenin (free for personal use, system information for NT 4.0, 2000, WinXP 32 and 64 bit, Vista 32 and 64 bit, Windows 7 (32 and 64 bit).

Posted by: J.G.
Date: November 23, 2017 11:44AM

When your system is in trouble, you have a trouble.
If millions of devices are in trouble, you are safe.
Because the issue will be fixed asap!

Anyway, about russian software, I simply love Kaspersky. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2017 05:53PM by J.G..

Posted by: rodocop
Date: November 23, 2017 01:10PM

Yogi,
I've somehow missed this cool thing. Maybe 'cause I used all this time AnVir Task Manager instead

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2017 01:17PM by rodocop.

Date: November 23, 2017 01:54PM

Over the years I've tested many Task Managers, among them also Process Explorer (from Mark Russinovich) and AnVir Task Manager.
My past and present choice is TaskInfo.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.