Off-Topic :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All which isn't K-Meleon related. 
XP sounds... drive me crazy
Posted by: JohnHell
Date: February 27, 2019 10:53PM

One of the things most hate of the XP Windows flavour are the error sounds. After some time I end

But, thank god, there are some pleasures with people with some rhythm out there and this helps a lot to relax from they annoying bells:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/kviyg678n74a0b3/robbi-985_aka_somethingunreal_-_xp_sounds_attempt_extended_version_%2528zaycev.net%2529.mp3/file

One of the gems out there, an old MP3 from the early 2000s golden years. It got time to find it, so I post a "copy" here. Enjoy if you never did.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: XP sounds... drive me crazy
Date: May 08, 2019 10:54AM

Only thing to like about XP is the Pinball

Posted by: hermes
Date: May 08, 2019 08:10PM

@JohnHell

I always use "No Sounds" theme on any Windows since '95.
The platform should simply work and not distract.
You can also turn off sound of PC-speaker through device manager
(hidden devices - beep).

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: May 08, 2019 08:32PM

hermes
@JohnHell
You can also turn off sound of PC-speaker through device manager
(hidden devices - beep).

I know, I know, this was just a rant, as I have to use an XP now and to have some fun winking smiley

Posted by: callahan
Date: May 14, 2019 09:35AM

I always liked the beautiful music that plays when you start Windows XP for the very first time. It only plays that one time. I tried to find it on the computer, eventually did a search where to find it and made copies. I don't think MS ever did that for another new OS ... but I can't be 100% sure.

You have to play that XP start-up sound through headphones. Always wondered what the real story was with that sound ... or maybe there was no story.

Windows XP location: C:\WINDOWS\system 32\oobe\images ... then look for 'title'

I guess the proper title is the 'Windows XP Installation Song' and not the XP start-up sound.

There is an article about it here and also the music itself and some mention who might have written it but nothing confirmed.

https://newagemusic.guide/new-age-music-history/the-amazing-windows-xp-installation-songs/

+++ Another correction / addition ... I am playing the music from my Windows folder now and the title is shown as: Microsoft - Windows Welcome Music ... I haven't played this music for awhile, kinda forgot about it.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2019 10:15AM by callahan.

Posted by: smallhagrid
Date: May 14, 2019 08:56PM

Hi Callahan !!
That is certainly an amazing find - thanks for posting and sharing it.

Date: May 15, 2019 12:47PM

Thanks smallhagrid,

I always liked that XP sound. It's too bad it only plays once and never again.

If someone had bought a used computer with no speakers and installed WinXP ... they would never hear that music, even if they added speakers later on. They would have no idea that music was on their computer.

Probably many people that have moved on from WinXP really never heard that sound.

As I mentioned earlier ... if you have a really good pair of headphones ... it really sounds great.

Date: May 15, 2019 09:36PM

Well Hello Again Callahan !!
Truth be told - as a tech who did many set-ups, I don't remember ever hearing more than a tiny snip of any of that music UNTIL visiting the site you provided a link to, so:
Thanks !!

It is lovely music & I actually listened to every clip during a meal which made for a very nice background.

My biggest goal with any/all of that gang's OSes (and now with Linux installations as well...) was to basically install it once, then tweak it to make it as good as possible - then clone it as quickly & efficiently as possible when needed.

So I have actually made as few base installations as possible because they are mostly a big time waste and it is easy enough to just rubber-stamp that stuff onto another drive, activating as needed afterwards.

And in my desire to 'get it done' - little or no music heard despite all the years exposed to the possible source.

How goofy is that ?!?

Thanks Again, and Best Wishes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2019 09:37PM by smallhagrid.

Date: May 16, 2019 01:07PM

Hi smallhagrid ... I do now remember when we exchanged a few e-mails some time back that you mentioned working with computers and setups.

Have you went into the Windows folder to copy the file from there for a better 'source'sound.

Windows XP location: C:\WINDOWS\system 32\oobe\images ... then look for 'title'

It's a WMA file but could be changed to play on a MP3 Player or whatever. Those other XP sounds are interesting also. I had collected the whole set a few years back to play like a small album or at least just to have them.

billbrownmusic - Windows XP Tour intro

billbrownmusic - Windows XP Tour 6

billbrownmusic - Windows XP Tour 1

billbrownmusic - Windows XP Tour 2

billbrownmusic - Windows XP Tour 3

billbrownmusic - Windows XP Tour 5

billbrownmusic - Windows XP Start Up

I noticed that there is no number 4 XP Tour sound. I think these extra tracts are what I have stored on a CD somewhere. Have to double check.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2019 01:11PM by callahan.

Date: May 21, 2019 09:07PM

Greetings Callahan !!
Funny thing about emailing sometimes...it can just sort of fade away for no apparent cause.

My tech life has been moving over to Linux-land for a while already.

Given that XP was my final win-doze adventure, by that time (and by happenstance alone !!) I'd collected hundreds of sounds, pointers, etc. - only to find that my very favourite animated cursors simply cannot be used in a Linux configuration.
That was a bummer. BUT:

No more BSODs - ever ?!? I'll take that luxury 100% !!!
For ordinary day to day stuff as well as some minor, specialized activities the absences of the fancy/cutesy stuff from win-doze is not even noticed by me.

So, my thanks again for the directions to where these nice tunes are hidden, I did enjoy listening to them !!

Posted by: samjonas
Date: May 24, 2019 07:51PM

Damn happened with me too.. cried myself to sleep

Posted by: 4td8s
Date: July 22, 2019 07:55AM

I like many of the system sounds in XP, even the error sounds
at least my longtime friend has an old emachine media center computer that still uses XP media center 2005 edition, even today smiling smiley

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.