K-Meleon on Goanna :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Building K-Meleon on top of the Goanna engine 
Pages: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 33
Re: [TEST BUILD] K-Meleon 76 on Goanna 3.4.1 (Build 20171215)
Posted by: hermes
Date: December 19, 2017 12:30PM

Anixx
I have no useragent in prefs.js. After installing your build the useragent got updated (with "Goanna" word in it). Still, with this new user agent the Google Images search is displayed with outdated interface. Replaced with useragent from modern Pale Moon - works well.

Key word is not old or new, just google does not know this user-agent and shows in compatibility mode. It is not an error. PaleMoon is better known than KM. Functionally, it is not critical so there is no problem.

Another problem I noticed, the browser extensions are not shown on the extensions control panal. They work (for instance, PDF X-Change editor) but not visible in the list of extensions. Only "plugins" are visible.

Because it's netscape plug-ins, not XPi extension.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: roytam1
Date: December 19, 2017 12:31PM

Anixx
I have no useragent in prefs.js. After installing your build the useragent got updated (with "Goanna" word in it). Still, with this new user agent the Google Images search is displayed with outdated interface. Replaced with useragent from modern Pale Moon - works well.

Another problem I noticed, the browser extensions are not shown on the extensions control panel (about:addons). They work (for instance, PDF X-Change editor) but not visible in the list of extensions. Only "plugins" are visible.

please check about:config if you have general.useragent.compatMode = 2
If not, you may not have all files in browser folder replaced.

And indeed, PDF X-Change editor is actually browser PLUGIN not Extension. They are different.

Posted by: Anixx
Date: December 19, 2017 12:44PM

roytam1

I have it set to 1.

roytam1
And indeed, PDF X-Change editor is actually browser PLUGIN not Extension. They are different.

OK, but it shows no extensions at all, including AdBlock (or it is part of the core now?).

I also tried to install Google Reverse Image Search, but K-Melion blocked installation. I also noticed TinEye reverse image search and a similar tool from Yandex do not work and not shown in Add-ons page (they were working on RC1/2).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2017 12:44PM by Anixx.

Date: December 19, 2017 01:34PM

Another problem: AdBlock settings page is empty:

Date: December 19, 2017 01:46PM

Anixx
roytam1

I have it set to 1.

roytam1

OK, but it shows no extensions at all, including AdBlock (or it is part of the core now?).

I also tried to install Google Reverse Image Search, but K-Melion blocked installation. I also noticed TinEye reverse image search and a similar tool from Yandex do not work and not shown in Add-ons page (they were working on RC1/2).
it is general.useragent.compatMode = 2 by default in kmprefs-additional.js.
so thats your fault changing it without reason.

and you have extension installed but not showing, that usually means you don't have all files replaced by files in 7z archive and/or startupCache is not deleted.

Date: December 19, 2017 02:55PM

Anixx
Another problem: AdBlock settings page is empty:

Strange, all works for me.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: December 19, 2017 03:08PM

Anixx,

this isn't good idea to place plain 'official'-based build over the Pro-build.

(official KM - and consequently Goanna-based build - do not have AdBlock Plus inside. As omni.ja file is overwritten - you've lost all the ABP chrome)

Use clean portable installations of both builds.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2017 03:12PM by rodocop.

Posted by: Rain
Date: December 19, 2017 04:26PM

rodocop
Well.

Maybe you are not using Mouse Gestures but your KM can have this module activated. And it has glitches for years. Some of them interfere bad with captchas exactly.

Try to replace the dll - and check your problem sites again.

I replaced it and restarted KM, no change. I can't get pass the captcha system on sites using it and as hermes mentioned the drop bars on some sites are inacceesable via mouse.

Is there a way to deactivate/delete the mouse gestures in KM to get rid of these issues?

Also i have yet to install Flash Player on roytam's portable build, could these issues be related to it?

I encounter no such problems in SeaMonkey or Iron sad smiley

Date: December 19, 2017 05:19PM

Rain
I replaced it and restarted KM, no change. I can't get pass the captcha system on sites using it and as hermes mentioned the drop bars on some sites are inacceesable via mouse.

Is there a way to deactivate/delete the mouse gestures in KM to get rid of these issues?

Also i have yet to install Flash Player on roytam's portable build, could these issues be related to it?

Tested this. Seems to be the problem related to KM76 core. Isn't present in 75.1 but occurs in KM76 alpha, KM76 RC2 and KM-Goanna.
Should be reported as core bug. Not kpugins related.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2017 05:23PM by rodocop.

Posted by: siria
Date: December 19, 2017 08:08PM

[_check_ xpi-install hermes answer below / update Forum howto topics?] .

Anixx

Just curious, which are both strings?

By the way, was very surprised recently to learn that those "compatibility" settings influence addons/extensions too! First a posting from Hermes made that clear, where he compared various combinations of settings, and showed that it can cause probs with semi-disabled addons. Upon this have googled around and read that this mode fakes not only the http-headers for external servers, but also an internally used "navigator.useragent" term, so this starts making sense.

But now am completely lost what really is needed for addons to get working in KM76?
In the 7X beginnings, there was promoted a necessary pref
kmeleon.install_firefox_extensions (missing in Goanna, didn't check RC2. From this pref depended (back then) wether EITHER native FF addons OR the first native KM-xpi-addons would work)
Then we have different compatibilities in Gecko and Goanna builds:
BOOL,"general.useragent.compatMode.firefox"
INT,"general.useragent.compatMode"

And what may happen if they are mixed up??

But have been following this only from the sidelines, so correct me if it's wrong...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2018 10:53PM by siria.

Date: December 19, 2017 08:13PM

Rain
Is there a way to deactivate/delete the mouse gestures in KM

F2 > K-Meleon Plugins > Mouse Gestures

(I've understood it doesn't matter here, but just as "howto")
An old prob for some Logins is that in KM out-of-box 3rd-party cookies are forbidden, but probably not relevant here either.
reCaptcha is just a PEST!!!

Date: December 19, 2017 11:06PM

siria
Rain
Is there a way to deactivate/delete the mouse gestures in KM

(I've understood it doesn't matter here, but just as "howto")
An old prob for some Logins is that in KM out-of-box 3rd-party cookies are forbidden, but probably not relevant here either.
reCaptcha is just a PEST!!!

I don't have mouse gestures checked and I tested recaptcha site and it works.

Date: December 19, 2017 11:12PM

roytam1
★ K-Meleon 76 - Goanna 3.4.1 (Build 20171215)

- kmHelper: add UserAgentOverrides support (dc86c5c)

anonymous
@siria
Your new useragent macro works. Search for 'enable IIS Vista' to get access to http://localhost. Then you can test any UA in "general.useragent.override.localhost". Some people already had site specific useragents in older KM versions.

That is great, thanks for the info!
It's a most important function IMO, at least for people who regularly visit problematic sites.
That tech/server stuff is slightly above my head again, but never mind.

Yes I know there were extensions in the past, and one embedded in KM-PRO, but didn't follow them too closely. From what I noticed, some or all had massive side-effects, like it simply wasn't possible to use any GLOBAL useragents anymore! Instead they saved each and every single site in the prefs for auto-switching later, as soon as a user toggled the UA by menu. Didn't have they impression most users were even aware this toggle was not global anymore.
Lately have examined the one in KM-PRO closely again and now finally found it actually does contain an ON/OFF switch, that no one had mentioned before, and it wasn't in the menus either! As soon as the "Count"-Pref is set to zero, normal global UA-macros start working again (of course, being myself and having just finished the useragents2018 macro, couldn't resist now and started improving that old auto-switcher macro too, but probably far too late by now)

Big thanks to roytam for getting those UA site-automatics fixed!! smiling smiley

What I wonder now: have read that even KM74 contained this function already, at least the gecko version at the time. And by googling around it seems it was only a bug that this function didn't already start working back then, that just the "initialization" or something didn't happen?
Now I wonder if perhaps it would be possible that users can fix their older versions too, depending how easy that would be, perhaps replacing a file or two, some tiny omni.ja-hack, or if perhaps a macro could help it somehow?
(The prob is that heavily customized KM-Versions are a bit difficult to update, if one doesn't know exactly what he's doing. And even for us here it's not quite easy either. So most people prefer 'not to touch a running browser version')

Date: December 19, 2017 11:19PM

rodocop
Rain

Tested this. Seems to be the problem related to KM76 core. Isn't present in 75.1 but occurs in KM76 alpha, KM76 RC2 and KM-Goanna.
Should be reported as core bug. Not kpugins related.

For this moment, after corrections made by roytam1, I didn't notice any problems with entering captcha or sliders when authenticating on websites. Only thing that sometimes (again, not always, but only sometimes) is a partial problem is the drop-down lists. Sometimes they have to switch with keyboard. But fatal defects I not noticed. For mouse gestures I have same no claims, if you use latest corrected supplementary file (by roytam1).

Check Your settings for web headers and cookies.

siria
Anixx

But now am completely lost what really is needed for addons to get working in KM76?
In the 7X beginnings, there was promoted a necessary pref
kmeleon.install_firefox_extensions (missing in Goanna, didn't check RC2. From this pref depended (back then) wether EITHER native FF addons OR the first native KM-xpi-addons would work)
Then we have different compatibilities in Gecko and Goanna builds:
BOOL,"general.useragent.compatMode.firefox"
INT,"general.useragent.compatMode"

And what may happen if they are mixed up??

But have been following this only from the sidelines, so correct me if it's wrong...

As I understand it, setting kmeleon.install_firefox_extensions lost its importance. And now for Addons don't need it. Now to disable installation (for security reasons) excess xpi I use xpinstall.enabled;false. Is it bad? I think what is not. On contrary, it makes things much easier. There is no point in duplicating settings (kmeleon.install_firefox_extensions is unnecessary).

By the way, was very surprised recently to learn that those "compatibility" settings influence addons/extensions too! First a posting from Hermes made that clear, where he compared various combinations of settings, and showed that it can cause probs with semi-disabled addons. Upon this have googled around and read that this mode fakes not only the http-headers for external servers, but also an internally used "navigator.useragent" term, so this starts making sense.

Thanks to efforts of roytam1, this problem is no more here. It was in original 74 / 75 / 76 (including with latest RC2). Now an installed extension is independent of a specific user-agent.

Date: December 19, 2017 11:29PM

xpinstall.enabled=false
Ah right, thanks, I knew there were FOUR but couldn't remember which!
So what does this too: block only NEW installations, but already installed ones keep working...?

hermes

By the way, was very surprised recently to learn that those "compatibility" settings influence addons/extensions too!

Thanks to efforts of roytam1, this problem is no more here. It was in original 74 / 75 / 76 (including with latest RC2). Now an installed extension is independent of a specific user-agent.

Most important info too, very good to know! smiling smiley
Thanks for your valuable contributions and tips here, have the impression that helps development and debugging quite a bit too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2017 11:31PM by siria.

Date: December 20, 2017 12:02AM

hermes
For this moment, after corrections made by roytam1, I didn't notice any problems with entering captcha or sliders when authenticating on websites. Only thing that sometimes (again, not always, but only sometimes) is a partial problem is the drop-down lists. Sometimes they have to switch with keyboard.

Yes, I was speaking about drop-downs. Postimage gallery sharing is a test page. No prob with 75.x but with any 76.x

Something was broken there in this move.

Date: December 20, 2017 12:14AM

siria
xpinstall.enabled=false
Ah right, thanks, I knew there were FOUR but couldn't remember which!
So what does this too: block only NEW installations, but already installed ones keep working...?

Yes, they continue to work despite changing settings. Ie you can install correct xpi, and then be protected from any external xpi (with setting switch). Installed xpi will continue to work.

Date: December 20, 2017 01:44AM

siria
roytam1

anonymous
@siria
Your new useragent macro works. Search for 'enable IIS Vista' to get access to http://localhost. Then you can test any UA in "general.useragent.override.localhost". Some people already had site specific useragents in older KM versions.

That is great, thanks for the info!
It's a most important function IMO, at least for people who regularly visit problematic sites.
That tech/server stuff is slightly above my head again, but never mind.

Yes I know there were extensions in the past, and one embedded in KM-PRO, but didn't follow them too closely. From what I noticed, some or all had massive side-effects, like it simply wasn't possible to use any GLOBAL useragents anymore! Instead they saved each and every single site in the prefs for auto-switching later, as soon as a user toggled the UA by menu. Didn't have they impression most users were even aware this toggle was not global anymore.
Lately have examined the one in KM-PRO closely again and now finally found it actually does contain an ON/OFF switch, that no one had mentioned before, and it wasn't in the menus either! As soon as the "Count"-Pref is set to zero, normal global UA-macros start working again (of course, being myself and having just finished the useragents2018 macro, couldn't resist now and started improving that old auto-switcher macro too, but probably far too late by now)

Big thanks to roytam for getting those UA site-automatics fixed!! smiling smiley

What I wonder now: have read that even KM74 contained this function already, at least the gecko version at the time. And by googling around it seems it was only a bug that this function didn't already start working back then, that just the "initialization" or something didn't happen?
Now I wonder if perhaps it would be possible that users can fix their older versions too, depending how easy that would be, perhaps replacing a file or two, some tiny omni.ja-hack, or if perhaps a macro could help it somehow?
(The prob is that heavily customized KM-Versions are a bit difficult to update, if one doesn't know exactly what he's doing. And even for us here it's not quite easy either. So most people prefer 'not to touch a running browser version')

You may apply this diff to older versions and see if it will work or not:
https://github.com/roytam1/kmeleon/commit/dc86c5c271554336b26446fea617ca70de35834c

Posted by: Rain
Date: December 20, 2017 09:47AM

siria

Thanks, but it was already off :/

hermes
For this moment, after corrections made by roytam1, I didn't notice any problems with entering captcha or sliders when authenticating on websites.

What corrections? O.o (apologies if i accidently skipped them)

This kinda scares me seeing that i'm the only one having problems with recaptcha. :O

I've tried this on rodocop's Pro version and surprisingly recaptcha works in it.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2017 09:56AM by Rain.

Date: December 20, 2017 04:16PM

rodocop
Anixx,

this isn't good idea to place plain 'official'-based build over the Pro-build.

I have never used pro-build. Only official.

Date: December 20, 2017 08:45PM

Well, now after several times running K-Meleon from portable directory and/or OS reboot, everything became OK: in the Add-ons list I now see AdBlock and NewsFox extensions.
The default useragent opens Google with new interface.

Thank you very much, everything works amazing!

Now, K-Meleon needs only better bookmarks management to be the best browser ever!

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2017 09:07PM by Anixx.

Posted by: guenter
Date: December 21, 2017 02:08AM

Bookmarks.html is an old industry standard - developed lean by Netscape when PC*s were much weaker. The price for changing it is much bigger hardware.

IMHO reconsider Your wish - Greetings from Hanover to Moscow.

Your comrade guenter

Posted by: callahan
Date: December 21, 2017 04:16AM

I am happy with the Bookmarks.html and Favorites as they are now. I personally use 'Fvorites' and hope 'no' changes will be made to this setup.

I do not have to 'Import' or 'Export' anything and everything is always 'up to date' from my IE8 browser ... which I never use but have on hand if needed for any future WinXP updates, as happened earlier this year. I also use 'Favorites' instead of 'Bookmarks' with the New Moon browser and also Firefox ... but I no longer use Firefox anymore. I never liked it and am so happy it has been replaced.

The roytam1 New Moon setup is the best along with K-Meleon 76 as it is being made better. With these two browsers, I have no further use or need for any other browser.

I keep the 'Favorites' folder constantly updated and everything works just fine.

Date: December 21, 2017 10:05PM

[_check_ howto get site-specific useragents in older KM, hacking omni.ja] .

roytam1
siria
roytam1

You may apply this diff to older versions and see if it will work or not:
https://github.com/roytam1/kmeleon/commit/dc86c5c271554336b26446fea617ca70de35834c

Thank you, so a little omni.ja edit in 7z hopefully works, to get the native Mozilla site-specific UA functions to work, just by adding 4 lines of code! smiling smiley
Looking at this "kmhelpher.js" file in KM74-76, it's missing in KM74, but contained since KM75.0, and the relevant parts of them are also almost identic in the three KM-versions. Now my prob is again with testing it myself... any volunteers? :cool: Using the new useragents2018 macro helps, but a few example prefs can also be typed manually. (In KM-Pro "kmeleon.privacy.useragent.Count" must be set to zero to disable the embedded switcher which blocks toggling general UAs)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2018 10:58PM by siria.

Posted by: J.G.
Date: December 22, 2017 02:44PM

I was very esceptical and unhappy about this project but I must admit that I was too much wrong. After several hours of testing and surfing this is a very valuable browser and I hope it will become official really soon.
So congratulations @Roytam1 for this gread work! smiling smiley

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.2; WOW64; rv:52.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.4 Firefox/52.9 K-Meleon/76.0

Date: December 23, 2017 01:34PM

I am still experiencing some problems with media on Goanna-based K-Meleon.

* Some images not displayed (not blocked by AdBlock, the image frame is shown but empty).

* When playing some videos there are big pauses and then comes a crash that brings down the whole Windows session (need re-login). No such thing under Pale Moon.

Re: [TEST BUILD] K-Meleon 76 on Goanna 3.4.1 (Build 20171223)
Date: December 23, 2017 01:34PM

New regular/weekly KM-Goanna release:
https://o.rthost.win/kmeleon/KM-Goanna-20171223.7z

Changelog:
Out-of-tree change:
* update Goanna3 to git rev 40aa3cc75:
- Stop using a 0-sized array declaration (nonstandard extension) in JitCodeMap. (e3ff6c81d)
- Force arguments object allocation on dynamic name accesses (9e58836ab)
- Fix chrome to not use arrow functions with arguments (c545af1b3)
- Fix arrow function lexical arguments binding, allow rest + arguments (0c2e091dd)
- Fix arrow function lexical arguments binding, allow rest + arguments (follow up - delete: bug889158.js) (85d2f066d)
- Merge pull request #1549 from janekptacijarabaci/js_arrowFunc_arguments_1 (5a27ecadd)
- Use a boolean to control sending of referrer when opening link. (40aa3cc75)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2017 01:36PM by roytam1.

Date: December 23, 2017 01:41PM

Anixx
I am still experiencing some problems with media on Goanna-based K-Meleon.

* Some images not displayed (not blocked by AdBlock, the image frame is shown but empty).

* When playing some videos there are big pauses and then comes a crash that brings down the whole Windows session (need re-login). No such thing under Pale Moon.

First thing may exist in pale moon as well. cloudflare sometimes wrongly optimizing images and push corrupted webp to Goanna. And Goanna has more strict image loading spec and makes some images thats not very standard compliant being refused.

Second thing can be fixed by dropping LAV dlls into k-meleon executable folder.

Date: December 23, 2017 01:47PM

roytam1

First thing may exist in pale moon as well.

I admit this maybe the case.

roytam1

Where can I get some more info about this? What is LAV dlls?

Is any auto-update planned?

Date: December 23, 2017 01:57PM

Anixx
roytam1

Where can I get some more info about this? What is LAV dlls?

see first post.

Anixx

Is any auto-update planned?

no, I'd rather prefer updating files manually.
But if anyone want to write downloader/updater, please go ahead.

Pages: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 33

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.