Name for K-Meleon on Goanna
Posted by: rodocop
Date: December 03, 2017 03:41PM

Well, usually this seems as non-essential thing, but you now, ancient Egyptians believed that only named thing could exist.

I suppose Go-Meleon to be a good codename here at least for testing time.

It shows difference from official, identifies engine used - and is even symbolic: creation of new building branch is a great and significant step ahead, that shows KM is alive and it Goes on.

Time will show would it be a fork or may be even mainstream direction, but for now I'm just happy that roytam1 is here, among us. With his new great pet!

Re: Name for K-Meleon on Goanna
Posted by: siria
Date: December 03, 2017 04:00PM

Hehe, yes I too think it definitely needs an own name! Lets collect some suggestions? grinning smiley
In my view "Go" is just a bit TOO short and universal. But am not good at naming myself, just to play around... Goa-Meleon... K-Meleonna... not really either... anyone more?
Or -just for the moment- simply KM-Goanna.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2017 04:39PM by siria.

Posted by: hermes
Date: December 03, 2017 08:05PM

To change the historically and well-established name? Actually the question is moot.
But in Russian forum was announced a great option: G-Meleon (by Coronerr).

And just very harmonious a siria's version KM-Goanna.
A significant advantage of the latter option is the retention of initial K-soft designation.

Posted by: siria
Date: December 03, 2017 09:33PM

hermes
But in Russian forum was announced a great option: G-Meleon

Hmm, the more I think about, the more I like... Funnily it feels closer related to K-M as Go-M
Of course, *if* Dorian would really drop gecko and include goanna in an official version, then it's simply K-Meleon again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2017 09:33PM by siria.

Posted by: roytam1
Date: December 03, 2017 11:38PM

hermes
To change the historically and well-established name? Actually the question is moot.
But in Russian forum was announced a great option: G-Meleon (by Coronerr).

And just very harmonious a siria's version KM-Goanna.
A significant advantage of the latter option is the retention of initial K-soft designation.

my local folder containing current Goanna K-Meleon build is just called "KM76-Goanna" smiling smiley

Posted by: guenter
Date: December 06, 2017 08:23PM

K-Meleon (German pronouncaitation kameleon) was already called K-Meleon when it was build on win.embed. Later it was build on mfcembed aka mozilla activeX control many versions, then on Seamonkey, Firefox and Xulrunner.

On my desktop it now says Gameleon.

But IMHO the final should use the old introduced brandname if it is ok to Dorian and roytam1.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: December 06, 2017 09:34PM

Surely, if Goanna-based build will become mainstream dev-branch it should be K-Meleon definitely.

I'm speaking only about 'codename' not about brand.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2017 09:35PM by rodocop.

Posted by: Yogi
Date: December 06, 2017 10:54PM

guenter
But IMHO the final should use the old introduced brandname if it is ok to Dorian and roytam1.

Hi Guenter,
du you know something we don't?
Has Dorian resigned? In case he did, it would be fair to let us know.
Did he told you that he decided to move to the Goanna engine?
In case he didn't none of the two, your above statement sounds weird to say the least...

Don't get me wrong, kudos to Roytam1 for giving XP users this gift/chance!
However, keep in mind that users on newer operating systems like me could use PaleMoon anyway if they'd only want to...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2017 10:57PM by Yogi.

Posted by: Yogi
Date: December 11, 2017 10:23AM

Dorian
I would like to see this becoming kmeleon 77(?) if that can keep it alive.

So it's official, so to speak.
K-Meleon 76 RC2 was the last build based on Gecko.

Date: December 13, 2017 06:56AM

Yogi
So it's official, so to speak.
K-Meleon 76 RC2 was the last build based on Gecko.

Not really, though. Goanna is 95% Gecko. They had to change the name for legal reasons.

You should realize that a transition from Gecko 38 to Goanna 3.0 (which was forked from Gecko 38) is much easier to do than a (nearly) full rewrite of K-Meleon. Re-basing on a higher Gecko version is enormously complicated. It will be interesting to see what happens here once Pale Moon moves to a Gecko 52 base.

Posted by: J.G.
Date: December 15, 2017 12:25AM

rodocop
Surely, if Goanna-based build will become mainstream dev-branch it should be K-Meleon definitely.

I'm speaking only about 'codename' not about brand.

I agree, K-Meleon should be K-Meleon whatever the engine. smiling smiley

Posted by: Happy.KM.User
Date: January 14, 2018 03:44AM

Hi all,
I like KM Goanna-KM-Goanna-KM GOANNA-KM-GOANNA. Then there's always KM-Go or KM Go?

Well, I'm sure whatever the name, it'll be awesome winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2018 01:26AM by Happy.KM.User.

Posted by: J.G.
Date: January 14, 2018 04:11AM

Happy.KM.User
Hi all,
I like KM Goanna-KM-Goanna-KM GOANNA-KM-GOANNA. Then there's always KM-Go or KM Go?

Well, I'm sure whatever name, it'll be awesome winking smiley

Yes, it will be awesome! grinning smiley

What about KMeleon G77 or KMeleon 77G? :O

Posted by: callahan
Date: January 15, 2018 12:38PM

I happen to like the simple name K-Meleon 77 ... those 'double' sevens look nice ... they also look good when just used with 'KM 77'.
'
... actually I still like the look and name of 'K-Meleon 76' but I guess there has to be some sort of change to differentiate between the two browsers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2018 08:56AM by callahan.

Posted by: ScarletWavez
Date: January 26, 2018 02:22PM

If the Goanna fork becomes the main version, there is no need to change the name. However, one of the first suggestions I saw in this threa, 'G-Meleon', would be rather nice. Or 'N-Meleon' could work too, since N is the fourth letter in 'Goanna', and K is the fourth letter in 'Gecko'.

I just hope the community here and K-Meleon in itself survives and has a good future regardless of whether there is a rebrand or not. It's the community that keeps this browser going after all, and I'm grateful to it.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.