Yes of course, that's what I meant: a new profile folder is created when the exe is started. Afterwards you can copy over the contents of the old folder into the new one.
However there must be something wrong: if you copied over your whole profile contents, that includes prefs.js, and that contains all non-default settings that you tweaked on about:config.
Can it be you pasted them while the browser was open?
(should probably mention this above too, while copying the browser must be closed)
OK, let's go step by step:
1. I downloaded the KMeleon Goanna file from @Roytam1 link.
2. I unzipped it, and there is a main folder inside.
3. There is no profile folder within these main folder.
4. I copy & paste my entire profile folder to the main folder.
5. I execute k-meleon.exe: no extra profile is created.
6. Everything works including about.config values.
a) You can paste the entire profile without previously executing k-meleon.exe.
b) You were right, it was open, this must be done with no instance running.
c) Could be this way the easiest to update from an old version to a recent one?
Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2018 02:13AM by J.G..