K-Meleon installation HOWTO (portable)
Posted by: siria
Date: January 04, 2018 10:08PM

(for Goanna and all other portable versions too)

INSTALLATION - HOWTO:
Those first KM-Goanna test builds are portable 7z-versions. Just unzip them into a new folder, and make sure you have write permission there for the profile settings.

"Portable" only in the sense that K-Meleon looks for the user profiles inside its own program folder, and you can copy it onto a USB-stick.
The switch for the profile location, if you want them either inside the program folder (=portable) or otherwise in your usual Windows user (appdata?) folder, is an empty file named "profile.ini" in the KM root folder. You can create it or delete it manually for switching profile locations at any time. After switching, the profile contents must be copied over manually too.

UPDATE K-Meleon - HOWTO:
It is best to just unzip into another new folder. This will create a new profile folder inside it too.
Then copy over your previous profile contents. And if you customized any buttons (toolbars.cfg), menus (.cfg), shortcuts (accel.cfg) etc., copy those files over too. Attention, not all of those are in the profile folder, some are in defaults folder or skin folder, although same-name files may be in the profile too. Look inside which one you've edited.

If you prefer to update by overwriting the complete old folder, first make a backup copy of it. All!
Then delete the "browser" subfolder, and delete the "startupCache" folder in the profile, before overwriting the whole K-Meleon folder with the newer version. Afterwards copy back again your profile and customized files (if any) from the backup.

Note:
the "startupCache" folder can create bugs. It should always be deleted after any changes or additions etc., not just for updates. K-Meleon will create an updated version again at next start.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2018 11:10PM by siria.

Re: K-Meleon installation HOWTO
Posted by: guenter
Date: January 04, 2018 11:09PM

Maybe U should add in Header/Subject line that You mean portable or 7z versions.

Anyway the user must make sure they have writing privileges where the profile is.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2018 11:20PM by guenter.

Re: K-Meleon installation HOWTO (portable)
Posted by: J.G.
Date: January 05, 2018 12:28AM

siria
(...)
UPDATE K-Meleon - HOWTO:
It is best to just unzip into another new folder. This will create a new profile folder inside it too.
Then copy over your previous profile contents. And if you customized any buttons (toolbars.cfg), menus (.cfg), shortcuts (accel.cfg) etc., copy those files over too. Attention, not all of those are in the profile folder, some are in defaults folder or skin folder, although same-name files may be in the profile too. Look inside which one you've edited.(...)

No new profile is created after unzip @Roytam1 *.7z installation file. At least not for me. The new profile is created after executed k-meleon.exe file. I just unzipped the new installation folder and pasted my entire profile inside... and all works. :s

* Probably this will help updating process in some way, I guess.
** This short and easy updating process is still valid at date 20200314.
*** Complete method posted two comments below.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2020 12:15PM by J.G..

Date: January 05, 2018 01:06AM

J.G.
No new profile is created after unzip @Roytam1 *.7z installation file. At least not for me. The new profile is created after executed k-meleon.exe file.

Yes of course, that's what I meant: a new profile folder is created when the exe is started. Afterwards you can copy over the contents of the old folder into the new one.

J.G.
I just unzipped the installation folder three times and pasted my entire profile and all works. However the tweaked about.config values were lost. :s

However there must be something wrong: if you copied over your whole profile contents, that includes prefs.js, and that contains all non-default settings that you tweaked on about:config.
Can it be you pasted them while the browser was open?
(should probably mention this above too, while copying the browser must be closed)

Posted by: J.G.
Date: January 05, 2018 02:06AM

siria
(...)
Yes of course, that's what I meant: a new profile folder is created when the exe is started. Afterwards you can copy over the contents of the old folder into the new one.
(...)
However there must be something wrong: if you copied over your whole profile contents, that includes prefs.js, and that contains all non-default settings that you tweaked on about:config.
Can it be you pasted them while the browser was open?
(should probably mention this above too, while copying the browser must be closed)

OK, let's go step by step:

1. I downloaded the KMeleon Goanna file from @Roytam1 link.
2. I unzipped it, and there is a main folder inside.
3. There is no profile folder within these main folder.
4. I copy & paste my entire profile folder to the main folder.
5. I execute k-meleon.exe: no extra profile is created.
6. Everything works including about.config values.

a) Please, paste the entire profile without previously executing new k-meleon.exe.
b) Please, do this with non KMeleon being executed. Close all KMeleon instances.
c) Could be this way the easiest to update from an old version to a recent one?
:s

* This easy and fast update method still works at date 20200314.
** Before try this method, please backup your previous KMeleon entire folder.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2020 12:20PM by J.G..

Date: January 05, 2018 11:55AM

As so often, there are several ways to do something in KM - and your fresh perspective is a very interesting idea! Yes, might very well be the best way, will probably update my post above smiling smiley The only minor disadvantage may happen if a new installation requires an additional file from the defaults/profile folder, but guess that will be extremely rare.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.