K-Meleon on Goanna :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Building K-Meleon on top of the Goanna engine 
Making K-Meleon 77 official!
Posted by: Anonymous
Date: April 30, 2018 07:53PM

Dear roytam1,

have you already considered the possibility to make your Goanna build of K-Meleon official by now? If I am not mistkaken, it would be K-Meleon 77. In the most recent Pale Moon release notes the team has announced that the development of ver.27 (the one K-Meleon is based on) is coming to an end, and that they would concentrate on UXP from now on:

Moonchild
This is the last major development update for the v27 milestone (codenamed "Tycho").
After this, we will be focusing our efforts for new features entirely on UXP and the new v28 milestone building on it. We will continue to support v27.9 with security and stability updates for a while, but no major new features will be added from this point forward.

-> https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18895

This indicates that it would be time to create an official K-Meleon 77, and then concentrate on making K-Meleon builds based on Pale Moon ver.28 possible. Additionally, some feedback on Dorian's part regarding a new release (especially its branding) would be beneficial.

I am looking forward to an official, non-portable release.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Making K-Meleon 77 official!
Posted by: roytam1
Date: May 01, 2018 12:06AM

But we need to fix those XUL problems in KM first, which is what I'm not familiar with.

Posted by: hermes
Date: May 01, 2018 11:42AM

@Anonymous

The installer itself is not a problem. You can easily create if it is so important. If it's critical I can do it, too. If all you have to do is map the protocols to open the application and set the default browser for the system, you do not need an installer. All installers is evil. If the app is just an archive that's great! Isn't he?

No global problem. The browser exists. Just another engine, just in the archive. Is that an obstacle? However, if you abstract from the engine, it is the same KM. Therefore, it's not so fundamentally will be the number 77, 76, or 99. The difference in the structure and capabilities of the 74 / 75 was even at the macro level, here's the difference in the engine. There is no fundamental difference in the version number. Except for the convenience of users.

@roytam1

But we need to fix those XUL problems in KM first, which is what I'm not familiar with.

Can I try, can you point to the problem? The thing is, I have a corrected omni.ja size ~3 MB (at the root) and ~400 KB (in the folder "browser"). Some things / features I turned off, something removed, something changed. But overall, I like how it works. Although, something else needs to change.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2018 04:27PM by hermes.

Date: May 01, 2018 04:01PM

hermes
@Anonymous

The installer itself is not a problem. You can easily create if it is so important. If it's critical I can do it, too. If all you have to do is map the protocols to open the application and set the default browser for the system, you do not need an installer. All installers this evil. If the app is just an archive that's great! Isn't he?

No global problem. The browser exists. Just another engine, just in the archive. Is that an obstacle? However, if you abstract from the engine, it is the same KM. Therefore, it's not so fundamentally will be the number 77, 76, or 99. The difference in the structure and capabilities of the 74 / 75 was even at the macro level, here's the difference in the engine. There is no fundamental difference in the version number. Except for the convenience of users.

@roytam1

Can I try, can you point to the problem? The thing is, I have a corrected omni.ja size ~3 MB (at the root) and ~400 KB (in the folder "browser"). Some things / features I turned off, something removed, something changed. But overall, I like how it works. Although, something else needs to change.

I remember there is some fields/dropdown list in preference dialog becoming empty when switching to Goanna.

Posted by: J.G.
Date: May 01, 2018 05:37PM

Anonymous
Dear roytam1,

have you already considered the possibility to make your Goanna build of K-Meleon official by now? If I am not mistkaken, it would be K-Meleon 77. In the most recent Pale Moon release notes the team has announced that the development of ver.27 (the one K-Meleon is based on) is coming to an end, and that they would concentrate on UXP from now on:

Moonchild
This is the last major development update for the v27 milestone (codenamed "Tycho").
After this, we will be focusing our efforts for new features entirely on UXP and the new v28 milestone building on it. We will continue to support v27.9 with security and stability updates for a while, but no major new features will be added from this point forward.

-> https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18895

This indicates that it would be time to create an official K-Meleon 77, and then concentrate on making K-Meleon builds based on Pale Moon ver.28 possible. Additionally, some feedback on Dorian's part regarding a new release (especially its branding) would be beneficial.

+1 However, my hope in a near KMG77 official release is low at this moment. sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2018 05:40PM by J.G..

Posted by: hermes
Date: May 01, 2018 05:41PM

@roytam1

Specially rechecked: all points of settings (by pressing [F2]) are fully functional... if English by default. I.e. by default everything works. Minor deviations occur in localizations, usually because of older files that do not match not only goanna, but also 38-52 gecko. However, this can take forever, because not all languages have concerned localizers.

Minor deviations in the localization should not interfere with the work on the engine, because without it the browser loses all meaning (with localization or without it).

Unfortunately, a short life cycle is forcibly introduced and imposed, and often after major updates in previous versions, a lot of problems appear artificially because of the immeasurable "advanced" webmasters. And often it is not compensated by useragent.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2018 05:43PM by hermes.

Date: May 14, 2018 09:19AM

hermes
@roytam1

Specially rechecked: all points of settings (by pressing [F2]) are fully functional... if English by default. I.e. by default everything works. Minor deviations occur in localizations, usually because of older files that do not match not only goanna, but also 38-52 gecko. However, this can take forever, because not all languages have concerned localizers.

Minor deviations in the localization should not interfere with the work on the engine, because without it the browser loses all meaning (with localization or without it).

Unfortunately, a short life cycle is forcibly introduced and imposed, and often after major updates in previous versions, a lot of problems appear artificially because of the immeasurable "advanced" webmasters. And often it is not compensated by useragent.

please check this:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?19,145700

Posted by: Chanson Yu
Date: May 15, 2018 11:14AM

hermes
Specially rechecked: all points of settings (by pressing [F2]) are fully functional...

You can add and save user-defined gestures actions by the Preferences panel ?

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.