K-Meleon on Goanna :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Building K-Meleon on top of the Goanna engine 
How to update to new Goanna releases?
Posted by: Mello
Date: May 17, 2018 09:57PM

I have many tweaks to, skins, macros, accel, prefs etc how can I update version
and retain these.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to update to new Goanna releases?
Posted by: siria
Date: May 18, 2018 12:22AM

How to update K-Meleon to a new version:

So far KM-Goanna versions are all portable, and everything is inside the program folder. And rather shattered inside it, that's the prob.

There are various ways, but what most of us here do, and is safest:
You need 2 complete, independant folders, one for each version: old and new. Then copy over the files you customized, one by one, and check for some days or weeks if really everything is complete and working. Then you don't need the old folder anymore.

How you go about getting 2 complete folders is just personal preference. For example you could just unzip the new version into a new folder. Then copy over ALL your own stuff manually.
OR you could make a full copy of the old folder, then unzip the NEW version over the old original folder. This easier method saves you a lot of manual copying, only a few modified files will be overwritten, if any.
Etc. There are minor differences, with various pros and cons for each method, but what really matters is only to keep a FULL COPY of the old K-Meleon folder for a while.

--------------

Where to find your stuff:
The profiles folder of course, simply complete.
Your skin folder, if you have created your own one already? If not, toolbars.cfg is tricky, located in various places. Edit>Configuration>Toolbars will show *which* of the various toolbars.cfg is your current one in use.
Custom toolbars and buttons usually come with own icons too, those are among the native ones in skins/shared and skins/default
Find the files you dropped additionally into the macros folder. Most user macros have own names, but attention for this trap: a few user-macros have the same name as the original ones and accidental overwrites can happen (useragent.kmm, search.kmm, perhaps another)
Look if you have additions in the extensions folder.
Then just use the new version for awhile and look out for missing stuff.

--------------

A general tip especially for customized skins or buttons:
Make your own skin folder, with a new name, then no worries anymore about possible accidental overwritings in the future.
Just copy the skin folder you're currently using, give it a nice new name, make sure you also copy your modified toolbars.cfg inside it (if not found, try K-Meleon/browser/defaults/settings/toolbars.cfg). Now just choose this "new skin" in F2>GUI and restart.

(_HowTo_ update kmeleon)

(sig) New unofficial K-Meleon 76.4 (KMG76.4) available, in own subforum.
Based on Goanna engine, called 'test' builds forever but more stable as 75.1 acc. forum members. It's 1-2 generations ahead of predecessor KM76RC-2016
K-Meleon FAQ (link missing in forum sidebar)
Tips&Tricks - Learning new stuff every day
New to K-Meleon? What do you like? What not?

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2018 01:07AM by siria.

Date: May 18, 2018 03:42PM

Thank you siria, very helpful.

I really should make a list of modifications and locations.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2018 03:43PM by Mello.

Posted by: Yogi
Date: May 18, 2018 09:58PM

- For those who prefer a clean install instead of overriding an pre-existing install -
You don't have to copy over the files you customized, one by one manually at each update.
Make an archive (.7z, .zip or .rar) containing those files. Preserve the correct folder structure so they get extracted to the right location!!!
Example of such an archive for a portable K-Meleon with its main folder named KM-Goanna:

Where:
- KM-Goanna\browser\defaults\preferences - contains my useragent.js
- KM-Goanna\macros - contains my useragent.kmm
- KM-Goanna\Profiles - contains my profile (you don't have to backup "places.sqlite", it's a useless 10MB file and will be created anyhow after starting the browser)
- KM-Goanna\skins - contains the folder of my mod skin

Important!
Don't start your fresh install before you have extracted the archive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2018 09:58PM by Yogi.

Date: May 20, 2018 11:26PM

I'm setting that up right now.

Thanks.

Remember not to start browser first. smiling smiley

Posted by: J.G.
Date: June 16, 2018 04:59PM

Shouldn't be easier to include only the modified files with their own folder structure and then just overwrite the previous installation? :mad:

Also more info at: http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?19,144796

Posted by: Yogi
Date: June 17, 2018 10:44AM

J.G.
Shouldn't be easier to include only the modified files with their own folder structure and then just overwrite the previous installation? :mad:

My suggestion was for a clean install and not for overriding an existent one.

Posted by: Borut
Date: June 02, 2019 08:38PM

I normally delete files that are not included in a new weekly. Is this a good approach??

The KM76.2-Goanna-20190601 weekly seems not to include mozalloc.dll. However, I have an impression (possibly wrong) that without this file the mouse rocker navigation is not working anymore.

This is the reason I am asking: Are the files that do not exist in a weekly to be deleted, or should they be retained?

Posted by: roytam1
Date: June 03, 2019 02:33AM

Borut
I normally delete files that are not included in a new weekly. Is this a good approach??

The KM76.2-Goanna-20190601 weekly seems not to include mozalloc.dll. However, I have an impression (possibly wrong) that without this file the mouse rocker navigation is not working anymore.

This is the reason I am asking: Are the files that do not exist in a weekly to be deleted, or should they be retained?
mozalloc.dll is integrated into mozglue.dll now and it can be deleted safely.

Posted by: Borut
Date: June 03, 2019 09:27AM

Hi roytam1! First, let me say a big THANK YOU for everything that you do. :cool:
K-Meleon became a kind of a life boat for me and I appreciate your work extremely!

The mozalloc.dll still seems a bit special to me. Please try the following small test when you find some time:
  1. Copy mozalloc.dll to your K-M directory (just for a testing purpose);
  2. Start K-M;
  3. Try to rename/delete the mozalloc.dll. I can not! At my place it seems that K-M still loads it at start time, if it finds it.
I have made more tests and I can definitely say that the mouse rocker feature (i.e. for instance, press and hold the right button, while then pressing the left button, in order to go back) does not work at my place without this specific dll being present at start time. There are no other differences between my K-M test starts.

Date: March 14, 2020 01:09PM

Yogi
- For those who prefer a clean install instead of overriding an pre-existing install -
You don't have to copy over the files you customized, one by one manually at each update.
Make an archive (.7z, .zip or .rar) containing those files. Preserve the correct folder structure so they get extracted to the right location!!!
Example of such an archive for a portable K-Meleon with its main folder named KM-Goanna:

Where:
- KM-Goanna\browser\defaults\preferences - contains my useragent.js
- KM-Goanna\macros - contains my useragent.kmm
- KM-Goanna\Profiles - contains my profile (you don't have to backup "places.sqlite", it's a useless 10MB file and will be created anyhow after starting the browser)
- KM-Goanna\skins - contains the folder of my mod skin
Important!
Don't start your fresh install before you have extracted the archive.

I have been updating KMeleon-Goanna for more than two years with a fast method described at:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?19,144796
that basically means just copy&paste KM-Goanna\Profiles entire folder over new 'non-executed' installed version.
Fortunately, @siria and @Yogi methods to update KMeleon-Goanna are both fully compatible with my fast method.
After several tests, I have had no single problem following these four steps:

1. Download the KMeleon Goanna file from @Roytam1 link and unzip it in a safe place.
2. Rename old KMeleon-Goanna to KMeleon-Goanna-old. Close all KM instances if open.
3. Go to KMeleon-Goanna-old folder and copy&paste inside new clean installation:
- KM-Goanna\browser\defaults\preferences (entire folder "preferences")
- KM-Goanna\macros (entire folder "macros")
- KM-Goanna\Profiles (entire folder "profiles")
- KM-Goanna\skins (entire folder "skins")
4. Execute new KMeleon, look up if everything is as always, and test your favorite websites. Done.

* Please, follow all @siria advices at first post, mainly to have at least one backup of KMGoanna.
All suggestions and recommendatios will be welcome. smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2020 02:29PM by J.G..

Posted by: rod
Date: August 29, 2021 10:30PM

J.G.

1. Download the KMeleon Goanna file from @Roytam1 link and unzip it in a safe place.
2. Rename old KMeleon-Goanna to KMeleon-Goanna-old. Close all KM instances if open.
3. Go to KMeleon-Goanna-old folder and copy&paste inside new clean installation:
4. Execute new KMeleon, look up if everything is as always, and test your favorite websites. Done.

After following your four steps on (KM76.4.4-Goanna-20210828), KMeleon will not start. I have been using your method on previous versions with no problems.

Date: December 10, 2021 11:00PM

rod
J.G.
After following your four steps on (KM76.4.4-Goanna-20210828), KMeleon will not start. I have been using your method on previous versions with no problems.

It works again in version KMG-76.45-20211204. I hope it works for you also. smiling smiley
Note: it seems that the method doesn't work if there is an engine jump.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2021 11:02PM by J.G..

Posted by: rodocop
Date: May 16, 2022 12:06AM

Always used it vice versa - injecting files from new build to existing installation:

1) make backup to get back if any error you got (my experience says that it's ALWAYS your error - not the method glitch. It always works if done right way!)
2) copy (with file override) to you KM folder:
- browser folder - without defaults subfolder
- kplugins folder
- all single files in kmroot folder

- sometimes - rarely - locales should be copied (if some string changes were made).

This is how I manage with my own KM Pro build (I'm forced to also make some manual changes in browser\omni.ja as it differs from original KM version, but still needs to accept some inner updated files if any)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2022 12:07AM by rodocop.

Posted by: RJJIII
Date: May 19, 2022 07:59AM

Oh, that seems obvious now that you could update in either direction. I've added a link from the InstallationGuide to this thread.

Also, I think this is common knowledge for OG's but it is possible to create a /<your.profile>/skins/ or /<your.profile>/macros/ folder. Skins and macros stored in the profile will override those from top-level folders.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.