K-Meleon on Goanna :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Building K-Meleon on top of the Goanna engine 
Strange files?? (KM74-Goanna)
Posted by: siria
Date: May 18, 2018 09:54PM

Need some expert help please, just discovered some stringe things:

When doing a clean unzip of KM74-goanna, and starting KM offline, and it creates a fresh new default profile:
Why is the cookies.sqlite already 512 kB big, when it should be completely empty?

When looking inside that KM74 monster cookie file with an sqlite editor, it finds neither a database structure nor any entries - completely empty.
BUT - and this really got me shocked:
When looking inside it with notepad++, the second half contains a 1:1 copy of my usual prefs.js files! As well as visited pages history and lots more. This most definitely doesn't belong in a cookies file.

Upon more investigating, all my native FF9 + FF10 profiles have either exactly 128 kB or 512 kB cookies.sqlite, and they look all the same. Most of those profiles were never used, just quick new clean profiles for testing something, so there shouldn't be any cookies at all, or at most from 1-2 websites.
Even worse, the first one I opened contained additionally:
A detailed log of modem protocol.. Complete config file of Mail accounts, most long since dead... A copy of Notepad++ macros... a bunch of other stuff, no clue what exactly... And all in normal, clear text and syntax, like in js or cfg files!

Not the slightest idea where the browsers get all that stuff collected from, especially in a clean unzipped version, brandnew profile, and never online. And almost all my apps are portable.

Uh oh... do I have a virus, trojan or something??
If yes, which one - anyone an idea?
Or is it some Mozilla trick??
Anyone can reproduce this in KM74-goanna? I know it's not based on the official KM74 build, but on a user-build which contains some additional custom extensions.

==========

And what's this "marionette.log" in the profile for?
The web says it's for remote control... yikes too.

Also don't understand why the empty formhistory.sqlite has 192kB, without any forms ever opened in this fresh profile.
Other stuff similar, permissions.sqlite 64kB, webappsstore.sqlite 32kB...

Is it caused by something on my machine??

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2018 11:48PM by siria.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Strange files?? (KM74-Goanna)
Posted by: Yogi
Date: May 18, 2018 11:07PM

I did a very ephemeral test with KM74-g22-20180516.win2000. A test on Win7. smiling smiley
- the package is clean
- cookies.sqlite has 512KB and that's ok.
after visiting some sites with cookies disabled, nothing was written to that file. The data base is still empty!
- marionette.log

Posted by: anonymous
Date: May 19, 2018 01:59AM

@siria
Size of cookies.sqlite is normal. What you found in the files is not normal. Create new profiles and look if notepad finds parts of other files in it again. It could be related to disk problems. If Windows tools repair cross-linked files, parts are added to both broken files. Find out how to use 'chkdsk'.

One of the sqlite engines in xul.dll was just downgraded in an attempt to fix history. Did it work?

Date: May 19, 2018 09:41AM

anonymous
Size of cookies.sqlite is normal. What you found in the files is not normal. Create new profiles and look if notepad finds parts of other files in it again. It could be related to disk problems. If Windows tools repair cross-linked files, parts are added to both broken files.

Thanks, this possiblity sounds a lot less worrying as malware stuff.
And very well possibly it's related to some automatic but misguided 'repair' attempts.
Latest tests: that stuff suddenly appears after copying over 3 db files from older profiles (key3.db etc.), then restarting, and AFTER trying to open a first web page (clicking the KM-site button in offline mode). A marionette-log recreated itself too again. Since that stuff seems to be intended for crash+repair dumps, it could make some sense.

But this time it was only my modified and crippled version for real use, must do more testing again with the clean version.

History still doesn't work yet. Perhaps it's all related to those system update probs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2018 09:43AM by siria.

Date: May 19, 2018 06:47PM

cookies.sqlite with prefs.js inside:

Perhaps a first trace... Have now looked inside all cookie files from all profiles. FF9 seems still clean, FF10 and KM74goa have mixed results in different profiles. Just had a new idea: to compare with Kernelex setting for Win2000 vs XP (had used both, while testing stuff). At the moment a first quick test indicates that the XP-setting may indeed cause it, and Win2000 not, but must test this further.

Re: Strange files in xul.dll ?? (KM77-Goanna)
Date: June 06, 2018 05:42AM

Weird again... :O
Anyone an idea??

In a simply unzipped KM77-Goanna, never run, while searching for something else, stumbled about this:

Hundreds, if not thousand domain names of all sorts in XUL.dll - Whoah...
I still can't imagine this is normal... What for?
Or that it were my system, because this is a fresh unzip, never run. Only opened with N++.
Anyone else see this too? About 90% down in the file.

And it's not just in one version. Also in older KM-Goanna, and also in Dorians KM76RC2.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2018 05:43AM by siria.

Attachments: KM77_xul-dll.png (11 KB)  
Re: Strange files in xul.dll ?? (KM77-Goanna)
Posted by: roytam1
Date: June 06, 2018 06:04AM

siria
Weird again... :O
Anyone an idea??

In a simply unzipped KM77-Goanna, never run, while searching for something else, stumbled about this:

Hundreds, if not thousand domain names of all sorts in XUL.dll - Whoah...
I still can't imagine this is normal... What for?
Or that it were my system, because this is a fresh unzip, never run. Only opened with N++.
Anyone else see this too? About 90% down in the file.

And it's not just in one version. Also in older KM-Goanna, and also in Dorians KM76RC2.

Thats HSTS preload list.
https://hstspreload.org/

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.