K-Meleon on Goanna :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Building K-Meleon on top of the Goanna engine 
max number of tabs
Posted by: Mello
Date: May 14, 2020 03:26AM

I have the latest goanna.
the max number of tabs before warn in about:config (maxOpenBeforeWarn) is set to 15.

I opened more than 15 but didn't get any warning - any idea why?

I'm happy to set 15 as a max limit. I don't use many at one time.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: max number of tabs
Posted by: JohnHell
Date: May 14, 2020 01:27PM

It is not a Goanna issue or issue by itself on K-meleon.

K-meleon uses its own tabbing system and therefore that Gecko/Goanna preference doesn't apply.

Don't make me try to give details, because I don't know the exact insights, but as a point direction, initially tabs weren't called tabs in K-meleon, but layers, as the plugin that controls them through different command ids, menus.cfg, etc. It all ends up in the same told every time, that the K-meleon interface is not the same as Firefox/Mozilla interface.

But to prevent more ramble without being a developer, and unable to give a good answer, tabs aren't Gecko/Goanna tabs.

Posted by: siria
Date: May 14, 2020 03:09PM

Didn't know that pref, and googled for it. Gives quite a bunch of interesting hits, and seems there's more than 1 pref involved. Of course usually Firefox related, and JH is probably right with the tabs, but as always would say it still can't harm to just try the FF tips anyway in KM. Just quickly see yourself what works or not, in KM and your specific version.

Alternatively perhaps a little macro can help for basic use cases. KM has a macro-variable for the total number of tabs: $TabNumber. That means when KM opens the Xth tab, a macro could do something, like show a custom confirmation, or close that tab again, or set browser offline etc.

Posted by: KM2005
Date: May 14, 2020 04:33PM

Googled. Supposedly, it is related to FF-PM Bookmarks>highlight-select two or more bookmarks>Right click>"Open All In Tabs"-opening all at once. KM77 doesn't have the option in the menu. KM>Bookmarks: Doesn't allow selecting more than one bookmark, unlike FF-PM--a feature I use a lot.

Doesn't warn me in FF52-PM28. Perhaps with a faster-high speed internet service it might trigger; mine's not "high" speed.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2020 04:42PM by KM2005.

Date: May 15, 2020 02:23AM

Thanks all, informative as ever.

The reason I asked was I manually edited a saved webpage in a text editor and when I opened the edited version in k-m it kept on opening new tabs until I got into windows task manager - the pc was slowing drastically - and shut k-m down Phew!

Never had that happen before - I've often edited saved pages.

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: May 15, 2020 12:55PM

When that happens switch off JavaScript.

Depending on you skin and toolbars organization, you should have it at hand.

Also, as a side note, if, for any reason, you enter in a JavaScript loop and K-meleon warns with a confirm dialog to stop it, you could even stop it by opening a new window (or by calling k-meleon.exe again) and disabling JavaScript from there, as the window with the dialog will probably hang and or block any action in the main window.

A quick write, that will bring an alert and from there, disable JavaScript of whatever following what I said above.

WarnTabsLimit{
 $_WarnTabsLimit_pref = getpref(INT, "browser.tabs.maxOpenBeforeWarn");
	if($TabNumber >= $_WarnTabsLimit_pref){
		alert("You have reached your tabs limit of ".$_WarnTabsLimit_pref." tabs", Tabs Limit Warning, INFO);
	}
}
$OnLoad = $OnLoad."WarnTabsLimit;";

I haven't tested and I know it could be improved, but I let it to the itchy fingers

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2020 02:15PM by JohnHell.

Date: May 15, 2020 03:43PM

Wow! thanks for the tips and the code grinning smiley

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.