K-Meleon on Goanna :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Building K-Meleon on top of the Goanna engine 
K-Meleon as default browser in Windows (10)?
Posted by: Carl-Robert
Date: February 01, 2018 12:27PM

Hey!

How could I make this portable K-Meleon build to be the default browser in Windows 10? I'd like to have hyperlinks from other software open up K-Meleon instead my current default browser, as well as saved .htm -files.

I already mentioned in the main thread that opening up .htm and .html files through the context menu -> open with -> browse -> select the kmeleon.exe gives me
"Invalid Address

The URL is not valid and cannot be loaded.

The provided address is not in a recognized format. Please check the location bar for mistakes and try again." error. The URL-bar is not updated either, it shows my starting page (about:blank) in it. The files work on every other browser. Dragging files or using the Open dialog from inside K-Meleon work nicely, but I'd like to open files from the Explorer instead, as well as work with other hyperlinks.

Any suggestions on this, or should I wait till the Goanna builds have matured enough to have an installer?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: K-Meleon as default browser in Windows (10)?
Posted by: J.G.
Date: February 01, 2018 12:56PM

Hi, @Carl-Robert, I have spanish W10 so translation could be not accurate:

1. Open 'run' from 'start-up/system windows'.
2. Write: control /name Microsoft.DefaultPrograms /page pageFileAssoc
3. Press enter.
4. It will appear all file extensions associated in your computer.
5. Search htm/html or whatever other you want to change.
6. Select change.
7. Select Kmeleon -- if not listed, search more applications, if not listed, search installed programs and so forth till you can choose KMeleon to associate with the desired file extensions.
8. Association should be created after followed these instructions.
smiling smiley

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2018 01:06PM by J.G..

Date: February 01, 2018 01:21PM

I did those already. I can associate it with .htm .html and .url, but I still get the "invalid address" problem when clicking on those files after that.

I am also unable to choose K-Meleon for HTTP and HTTPS.

Date: February 01, 2018 02:06PM

Oh, I "fixed" the .html problem! Had to re-click the "set as default browser" from the preferences -> browsing. For some reason I now have two "K-Meleon browser"s in the prompt for opening a file, one of them works and the other doesn't. Hmmm... Time to check registry for some weird left-overs I suppose.

But seems all of the issues were on my end and fixed by re-clicking the "set as default browser" as it had became clickable again.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.