K-Meleon on Goanna :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Building K-Meleon on top of the Goanna engine 
Passwords storage problem in Goannas and solution
Posted by: rodocop
Date: June 19, 2020 07:04PM

Hi all again! Missed me?

So here I go again.

When updating my KM Pro build with new engine (using brilliant job made by roytam1, sure!) I've found one mystique prob - most of my passwords disappear! (It was update to 20200530)

The reason was, as I've investigated - that older Goanna engine (20190622) uses newer encryption standard with key4.db file while modern builds regressed this to key3.db format.
These types of encryption do not have backward compatibility (you can use old key3-based logins.json in profile of new browser that creates key4.db, but not vice versa!)

So when I've updated my installation witn new files copied over old ones (keeping current profile) I got 2 files created there in profile - key3.db and cert8.db (it had already key4.db and cert9.db as they were native to Goanna 3.4.4 from 20190622) - but both password managers (you know: KM has 2 of them - its own in Preferences and one from FF in about:Ñ€references#security) became empty.

Even though logins.json was still here and working - it was able to save new password values after upgrade and these new do show in password managers!

So the solution was to use Password Backup Tool (PaleMoon addon).

1) Download KM Pro 76.2 Go Anna again and run it, creating new profile
2) Place logins.json there to be read (success, sure - that version is compatible with both key3 and key4)
3) Install Password Backup Tool there
4) Go to about:addons and opened Options of Password Backup Tool
5) Export passwords with Export Passwords button

You should get an XML file saved somewhere on your disk or other storage.

That's all with old build - let's go back to new one

6) and 7) are the same as 3) and 4) but in new (or updated) version
8) Import Passwords with button selecting XML file from step 5.
Ready!
Check result with View Saved Passwords button

This is standard way of working with the addon.

But there is short and easy way too!
Just install Password Backup Tool in new/updated installation
and using its Options make Import Passwords selecting logins.json directly!!!

That's it! Passwords are now yours again!

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2020 07:12PM by rodocop.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Passwords storage problem in Goannas and solution
Posted by: siria
Date: June 19, 2020 08:24PM

Hmm... dimly remember having read here or there about password probs, IIRC...
Not sure what was replied, well possible the PW-addon was recommanded, but the reasons remained a bit "mysterious". Good find about this key3 => key4 => back to key3 thing! And great howto info.

Sure missing you, and hope you stay with KM. Also for supporting a bit here. Everytime someone has a prob with modern KM and modern sites those of us with old systems can only tap around in the dark, and just guessing :-(

Options: ReplyQuote

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.