K-Meleon on Goanna :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Building K-Meleon on top of the Goanna engine 
Fastest method to update KMeleon Goanna!
Posted by: J.G.
Date: June 28, 2020 11:46AM

I think I have found the fastest and the easiest updating method by now:

1. Rename old KM-Goanna to KM-Goanna-old
1. Download new version by @roytam1, install, run once and close it.
2. Copy c:/KM-Goanna-old/Profiles/xxxxxx.default/prefs.js to c:/KM-Goanna/Profiles/yyyyyyyy.default/prefs.js (overwrite).
3. Run it again to finish. smiling smiley

Note: this useful and basic method only exports all settings of menu>edit>preferences.
Advice: please, don't delete KM-Goanna-old until you see that everything is working fine!

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2020 03:16PM by J.G..

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fastest method to update KMeleon Goanna!
Posted by: Mello
Date: August 10, 2020 09:13PM

But what about all the other customisations not in the profile folder JG?
Skins accel.cfg, menus.cfg, various macro tweaks, tools etc etc

Re: Fastest method to update KMeleon Goanna!
Posted by: JohnHell
Date: August 10, 2020 10:59PM

Mello
accel.cfg, menus.cfg

Modifications on those files SHOULDN'T be on root K-meleon default files, but on profile folder.

About the others, if you are the only one user, you can place them on your profile folder, unless told the opposite (some macro or tool). But macros can be on both paths.

Anyway, in the J.G. explanation there was a mistake wasn't bad but... There is no need to create a new profile and overwrite it. The backup of the old folder is fine, but copying profile.ini and the Profiles folder is enough. In fact you SHOULDN'T overwrite StartupCache with an old one, otherwise problems are guaranteed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2020 11:01PM by JohnHell.

Re: Fastest method to update KMeleon Goanna (?)
Posted by: siria
Date: August 11, 2020 12:18AM

There are already a couple other forum topics about updating, which is a bit tricky in KM, and most users have their own prefered method. All I know I've written elsewhere already, so here only a few remarks.

Mello
But what about all the other customisations not in the profile folder JG?
Skins accel.cfg, menus.cfg, various macro tweaks, tools etc etc

Yep, my stuff is shattered across various root folders too. Just handier when using multiple profiles.
If someone stores ALL his own stuff in the profile folder, updating becomes a lot simpler of course.

Provided they know how to... Could bet that hardly anyone is aware, if they click menu Edit > Configuration > Toolbars, that their edits are NOT stored in their profile, but they are directly editing the one-and-only template file, which will not self-repair if they mess it, nor when creating a "new" profile (if anyone changes buttons, better do create an own skin folder and copy at least toolbars.cfg and skin.cfg inside, before changing anything)

Another big risk with changing existing default files in root folders is that they can accidentally be overwritten when unzipping a new KM version. Or new macro versions etc.
There are diligent people who keep a copy of all their edited files in a separate folder, and structured with matching subfolders (skins, macros etc), which is a great backup and Quick-Update method. I strongly recommend this smiling smiley
Either this, or putting all changed files in the profile folder, incl. subfolders.

Just personally, since I edit a little more as average users, and tend to be in a hurry, am using a lazier method which merely prevents accidental losses, nothing more: after every file-Edit outside the profile folder, I just save a backup copy in the same folder, renamed with the current date in filename, and important: the extension dot changed too, e.g. to underscore! Example
"/defaults/settings/menus_ORI_cfg"
"/defaults/settings/menus_mine-20200811_cfg"
But that's just the quickest anti-loss method, if in a hurry. It doesn't help updating.

(BTW JG didn't mean to copy any "folder", only 1 file prefs.js, so all other stuff missing)

Date: August 11, 2020 01:46AM

JohnHell
Modifications on those files SHOULDN'T be on root K-meleon default files, but on profile folder.

Thanks - never knew that.
How is that done with edited or additional macros &
K-mextensions folder for example?

I didn't know about the template file siria, thanks for the various options -

K-m slogan:
"the browser the ordinary joe will never ever quite get to grips with" lol

Posted by: siria
Date: August 11, 2020 02:29AM

grinning smiley Or as I once put it: Learning new stuff every day...

But frankly, IMO it's not as mandatory as it sounds now to put everything into profile folder ONLY.
Of course it may be better, but traditionally everyone used to unzip all new stuff into the root folder too, with usually no one even hinting that a better place would be the profile. There were even occasional little bugs with certain configs in profile, contrary to configs in root folders, then there was no choice. At any rate both methods are fine, depending on user needs, as long as users are aware they shouldn't mess default files without keeping a backup, and updating gets more complicated. Oh, and it's not possible anymore to create "new clean" profiles if root files are customized or macros added in root/macros, etc

Mello

Not sure about KMextensions, since this is itself an extension, but macros and skins can use the exactly same folder structure in profile folder, as in root folder. The catch is that no one realizes this because those sub-folders must first be created manually. Not very intuitive sad smiley
Files in profile have priority over files in root folders, that means you can e.g. keep an original macro in KM/macros/xxx, and put your modified version in profiles/yourprofile/macros/xxxx
The browser will then ignore the root macro and use the profile macro.
Same for skins. You can create a folder profiles/yourprofile/skins/myskinxxxx/ and put toolbars.cfg (and skins.cfg?) inside. Then choose this skin in F2 > GUI and restart.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2020 02:43AM by siria.

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: August 11, 2020 01:45PM

siria
(BTW JG didn't mean to copy any "folder", only 1 file prefs.js, so all other stuff missing)

Oh, yes, sorry. Looking the finger pointing the moon.

Anyway, there is no need to create a new profile.

Mello

Personally, I use junctions (symbolic links to other folders). So when you backup your profile, you backup those other folders too. I have the root folder and profiles folder separated so I need it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_junction_point

siria
Files in profile have priority over files in root folders, that means you can e.g. keep an original macro in KM/macros/xxx, and put your modified version in profiles/yourprofile/macros/xxxx
The browser will then ignore the root macro and use the profile macro.

Is it that way?. I never had a macro name collision, and never had a reason to test it, but good to know.

siria
Same for skins. You can create a folder profiles/yourprofile/skins/myskinxxxx/ and put toolbars.cfg (and skins.cfg?) inside. Then choose this skin in F2 > GUI and restart.

The skin.cfg only if 75.0 and above and their new skinning system. That depends on the skin is being used. If it lacks skin.cfg, it "fallbacks" (or should) to the menuicons.cfg.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2020 01:50PM by JohnHell.

Date: August 11, 2020 04:34PM

Mello
K-m slogan:
"the browser the ordinary joe will never ever quite get to grips with" lol
siria
Learning new stuff every day...

It depends how thick my head is on the day as to how I view it.grinning smiley

I'm glad now I asked the question so thank you John and siria, I'll experiment - which is the nice thing about k-m.

Posted by: luk3Z
Date: November 29, 2020 06:14PM

I'm using update mehtod by Siria:

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?19,148500,150080,page=9#msg-150008
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/file.php?19,file=1866,filename=UPDATE-KM-Goanna_HOWTO_just-check-DATE.png

Anyway I'm also using SeaMonkey 2.49.5 & latest Basilisk (with old good addons before WebExtensions apocalypse).

https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/7c11h2/catalog_of_classic_firefox_addons_created_before/
https://www.ghacks.net/2017/11/10/firefox-classic-add-ons-archive/

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?10,150634
K-Meleon Quick Reference:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/docs.php
Basilisk/KM/SM xpi converter:
https://www.addonconverter.fotokraina.com/
Best regards.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2020 06:31PM by luk3Z.

Posted by: J.G.
Date: December 05, 2020 12:40AM

luk3Z
I'm using update mehtod by Siria:
(...)/

@siria's method is the best just considering that every useful stuff is preserved.
My single method preserves only the settings selected from menu > preferences.
In fact, I proposed two years and half ago the idea of looking at the file dates:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?19,146213,146516#msg-146516
It started the wish to develop some kind of incremental updates.
Anyway, it never was done. ¬_¬

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.