K-Meleon on Goanna :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Building K-Meleon on top of the Goanna engine 
K-Meleon and Gmail
Posted by: foliator
Date: December 08, 2021 06:03PM

I've been trying the latest build of KM on Goanna, and have the following problem:

When I bring up Gmail's sign-in form and type in my user name, nothing happens. Pressing Enter doesn't bring me to the next step (password entry), nor does clicking the Next button. If I try that, the form is reloaded and the box with my user name is cleared. As far as I know, submitting this form is the only way to access my Gmail account.

My default browser is currently Goanna-based, the latest release of Pale Moon, which works just fine with Gmail.

Does anyone else have this problem, or perhaps a suggestion to solve it?

---
Gerry

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: K-Meleon and Gmail
Posted by: JohnHell
Date: December 08, 2021 07:01PM

foliator

Looks like:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?3,155666,155666#msg-155666

Date: December 08, 2021 07:20PM

JohnHell
foliator

Looks like:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?3,155666,155666#msg-155666

Thanks! Yes, it's exactly the same problem. The Gecko version logs me in just fine, but can't complete the login to my online banking site, whereas the Goanna version does quite the opposite: It works just fine on the banking site, but can't log in to Gmail.

I was only trying KM again after several years without it, to see if I could use it as a light browser in place of TheWorld 7, but it appears I can't, because email and banking are my top priorities on the internet. TheWorld works on both sites.

Pale Moon is OK, too, but sluggish on some sites.

---
Gerry

Date: December 08, 2021 07:47PM

I see, you can always try/use an older build. Some builds include regressions on newer versions.

foliator
because email and banking are my top priorities on the internet.

I know it is off-topic, but, with mail, you can try a mail client and forget about headaches of browser compatibility with web interfaces by using mature protocols as IMAP (it took almost 20 years to make it widely available on all mail services instead of "problematic" POP protocol).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2021 07:48PM by JohnHell.

Date: December 09, 2021 02:42PM

JohnHell
I see, you can always try/use an older build. Some builds include regressions on newer versions.

foliator

I know it is off-topic, but, with mail, you can try a mail client and forget about headaches of browser compatibility with web interfaces by using mature protocols as IMAP (it took almost 20 years to make it widely available on all mail services instead of "problematic" POP protocol).

I use a simple POP3 mail client with Gmail. It's quite satisfactory, but I still go to the website periodically to check if anything found its way into the spam folder by mistake. Any messages the mail client has downloaded are automatically sent to the trash bin on the site (my choice), so I delete those while I'm logged in, as I don't like leaving them online. Sometimes I even delete items from the contact list, as well.

By the way, I finally noticed an earlier suggestion about changing the user agent for Google, and managed to access Gmail with KM on Goanna. Then I found myself struggling with the toolbar layout. AFter being away from KM for a few years, I've forgotten the various macros I created and my modifications of the menus, etc. I'm too lazy at this point to put all that back together. smiling smiley

---
Gerry

Date: December 09, 2021 02:58PM

foliator
JohnHell

foliator

I use a simple POP3 mail client with Gmail. It's quite satisfactory, but I still go to the website periodically to check if anything found its way into the spam folder by mistake.

That is where an IMAP mail client will help as it is as if it were a mail server folders browser and you can check all folders, including spam.

For example, with Mozilla's Thunderbird mail client (or Seamonkey, or some other IMAP mail client), you would see Gmail with all its folder tree as this (source random picture from the net):

Note that Gmail is special and hasn't an standard IMAP folder tree due their tagging system but all mail services will look similar.

foliator
By the way, I finally noticed an earlier suggestion about changing the user agent for Google, and managed to access Gmail with KM on Goanna.

Report to its thread so roytam can take note about it smiling smiley maybe there is some hardcoded user agent that isn't appropriate and should be fixed
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?19,154431,154431#msg-154431

Date: December 09, 2021 07:22PM

JohnHell
Report to its thread so roytam can take note about it smiling smiley maybe there is some hardcoded user agent that isn't appropriate and should be fixed
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?19,154431,154431#msg-154431

Done!

I've been checking all my bookmarked sites, and so far they all work fine. I've also arranged the toolbars to my liking.

I'm still a bit confused, however. Regarding the bookmarks button on the configuration toolbar, how can I change it so that I can open the bookmark list by left-clicking, rather than right-clicking the button? The Add option is at the top of the bookmark list anyway, and I don't use the bookmarks toolbar. I changed that behavior in the toolbar file a long time ago, but I can't remember the exact syntax. What I'd like the button to show is the same as when I press Alt+B.

---
Gerry

Date: December 09, 2021 10:32PM

No clue. If you were able to do it, try to find some old backup, if you keep them.

The only way I know myself is to enable the bookmarks toolbar and then, yes, from its icon, left-click shows the bookmarks, but on toolbar... toolbar buttons are a command and then a menu reference:

command|menu

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/wiki/ConfigFiles#toolbars

Posted by: anonymous
Date: December 09, 2021 10:35PM

OFF TOPIC
@foliator ...

Date: December 10, 2021 09:59PM

anonymous
OFF TOPIC
@foliator ...

Thanks, I've found a solution in that six-year-old thread, and it turned out that it was my own post! smiling smiley If I shrink the bookmarks bar until only the bookmark button shows, that button will open the bookmarks menu with a left click. The icon isn't very recognizable, but I don't care about that, as long as I know what the button does. This allows me to keep the bookmarks bar (which I don't use) active without taking up extra space.

---
Gerry

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2021 10:30PM by foliator.

Date: December 10, 2021 10:25PM

JohnHell
No clue. If you were able to do it, try to find some old backup, if you keep them.

The only way I know myself is to enable the bookmarks toolbar and then, yes, from its icon, left-click shows the bookmarks, but on toolbar... toolbar buttons are a command and then a menu reference:

command|menu

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/wiki/ConfigFiles#toolbars

Thanks! I found a solution without having to edit the toolbar file, which I had messed up a couple of times. See my post above.

---
Gerry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2021 10:27PM by foliator.

Date: December 10, 2021 10:34PM

Nice!... what is, after all, the method you suggested on that thread grinning smiley

I use that method, but I use the bar too (as back old Netscape 4.x times).

I understand what you meant with the toolbar mess. I tried, yesterday, at night, the suggested method on that thread and didn't work then, but now did. Anyway, is handy to make a backup ALWAYS winking smiley

Date: December 11, 2021 04:52AM

JohnHell
Nice!... what is, after all, the method you suggested on that thread grinning smiley

I use that method, but I use the bar too (as back old Netscape 4.x times).

I understand what you meant with the toolbar mess. I tried, yesterday, at night, the suggested method on that thread and didn't work then, but now did. Anyway, is handy to make a backup ALWAYS winking smiley

Well, yesterday I tried that simple approach, removing bookmarks(Add)| from the original code. It worked, until I moved the bookmarks to the main bar from the browser configuration bar, which caused some of the other buttons to disappear! :O Today it is finally working correctly, so I am no longer shrinking the bookmarks toolbar, and have removed it altogether.

Also, I have moved the compact menu button and the history button from the browser configuration bar to the main bar, and eliminated the browser configuration bar as well.

The only item I need on the privacy bar is for toggling JavaScript, so I have commented out the rest of those buttons. My final edit placed the browser exit button at the top right corner of the screen on the tab bar, since I have the title bar hidden.

As for backup, I always backup toolbar.cfg and accel.cfg to a location outside my profile, so that if I mess up, I can copy and paste the correct coding back in.

KM is working just fine on all my bookmarked sites, and faster than Pale Moon, so it is now my default browser instead of PM, but I keep PM handy in case I run into a problem site.

---
Gerry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2021 04:54AM by foliator.

Re: K-Meleon and Gmail (and bookmarks menu)
Date: December 18, 2021 05:44AM

I've discovered a much simpler way to get the full bookmarks menu instead of just "Add" and "Edit": Go to "Edit", drag all items, including the folders, from the Bookmarks Toolbar subfolder up under "All Bookmarks". I was even able to delete "Bookmarks Toolbar" altogether. The bookmarks will still appear on the toolbar if it isn't hidden, although I've hidden mine, because it takes up too much room. I've also moved the bookmarks menu button onto the main bar, as it was originally on the browser configuration bar.

With this approach, I didn't actually need to edit the button in toolbars.cfg, except that I changed the original description to just "Bookmarks Menu".

---
Gerry

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.