Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
building k-meleon from source
Posted by: Bruce Ashfield
Date: October 03, 2001 08:30PM

Hi all,

I just wanted to get some input on what I might be doing wrong. I've got a bit of downtime at work and I decided to play around with the gecko rendering engine and embedding it. While reading the resources on mozilla.org I found a link to this project.

I've built the mozilla 0.9.4 release using vc++ 6.0 and have executed the browser without problem. After a bit of hacking (0.9.4 idl doesn't generate some files, so I had to to them by hand) I managed to get k-meleon to compile and link.

Here is where my knowledge ends (I'm a Unix guy, so some of the MS embedding stuff still escapes me). When I try to run the executable I immediately get an exception. From a bunch of fiddling I determined that it was looking for some components and wasn't finding them. Here is where the real hacking started. I copied the components subdirectory out of the mozilla\dist\WIN32_d.obj directory and into the k-meleon directory that contains the executable. Now when I run the executable, I see everything drawn but I get a "user breakpoint" (crash) and it doesn't *appear* to be in the k-meleon code, but I can't be sure. II also had to manually copy some of the .cfg files into my profile, but I also don't think this is the problem.

I also saw similar strange behaviour with the included embed examples in the mozilla source tree, so I imagine it is either a problem with 0.9.4 or the problem lies in the way I'm trying to execute things ...

any ideas ?

Bruce Ashfield

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: building k-meleon from source
Posted by: Andrew
Date: October 03, 2001 09:05PM

Bruce,

This is from March but it might help you out:

http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=3457&group_id=14285

Best person to ask is either Jeff or Brian. They can walk you through that process.

Andrew

Posted by: Jeff
Date: October 03, 2001 10:06PM

Ignore the doc that Andrew suggested, if you've manage to download and build mozilla, you're ahead of that already...You may want to check out http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=3120&group_id=14285 instead but you're probably past that too.

Assuming that you've build mozilla from source, it should just be a matter of downloading the kmeleon source, and setting the output file (in the link tab of the project settings) to \<mozilla source>\mozilla\dist\Win32_o.obj\embed

That's were you'll want to run kmeleon from. Make sure you've adjusted all the library paths to point to where mozilla is.

-- Jeff

Posted by: Bruce Ashfield
Date: October 04, 2001 04:53PM

Jeff,

Thanks for the pointer to the document, probably should have found it by myself. I didn't see anything drastically different in the document from what I did, except that I had placed things in different directory structures and built mozilla with some settings that I put together myself.

To be on the safe side, I deleted everything and started over making sure I put things in the structure mentioned in your doc. mozilla sucessfully rebuilt and ran.

I unpacked the k-meleon source and started over. I had to to the same things as before 1) added a new include path 2) manually used xpidl.exe to generate a required .h file 3) changed the output of the executable this time to go in the same directory as mozilla.exe can be fouind. I then got k-meleon to build ... and more importantly run ! Thanks for your help, I'm in your debt.

Just one additional question. I noticed that some of the output tabs of the various projects were trying to go to something like: /projects/mozilla/mozilla/dist/win32_o.obj/embed/ ... If I allow things to go into that directory structure, nothing runs since the components and other directories found under the ..win32_o.obj/bin directory aren't present and k-meleon has trouble. I assume this is standard.

One last question, I built all of the other projects and generated their associated .dll plugin files. I was getting:

history.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__SetWindowLongA@12

In the history project, which I'll look into .. any good tips here.

I'll have to look into the binary distribution to see what files from the dist/win32_o.obj/bin/ are requires. Any tips on how you guys package things up (don't worry about answering this if you don't want to, I'll take a look myself).

Cheers,

Brucer

Posted by: Jeff
Date: October 04, 2001 05:08PM

Your mozilla build really should be creatintg an "embed" directory inside the "bin'" directory...this is where you want everything to go, not in the "bin" directory where mozilla.exe is.

To fix history, add user32.lib to the linker library settings.

-- Jeff

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.