Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: disk cache on ram drive
Posted by: ndebord
Date: November 27, 2010 03:15AM

caktus

I changed the cache folder location to the R:\Temp and it is now as I had expected it. And BTW, SoerenB, the computer is "even faster." I could barely believe the effect RamDisk has on IE. After just a little use of the browser, IE(6) is for the most part faster the IE8 on a friends RR connection. I wish I had known about RamDisk many moon's ago.smiling smiley

Charlie,

Old topic, new browser. Just set up KM 1.6beta using the R:\Temp\Cache folder routine and boy does it ever fly now.... Also, subjectively, it seems that KM 1.6 and Gecko 1.9 work better with the ram drive than they did in kM 1.5.4 (which occasionally seemed to hang up, a behavior I can't replicate in KM 1.6).

<VBG>

XP PRO SP3

N

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2010 03:17AM by ndebord.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: January 23, 2011 03:46PM

caktus
ndebord
Charlie,

This is what I show with that R: drive.....

I have reinstalled RamDisk with default settings (the previous installation was set to 64M) but still, after using the computer for a while, R:\Tenp folder remains empty. I redounloaded RamDisk and installed with default settings and again, after using the comuter for a while R:\Temp folder remains enpty. RamDisk is appearantly working because the computer is extremely fast. The only time the computer is slow (I am using dialup) is while I am downloading videos and even then the computer is unusually fast.

I notice that there are links to several different ramdrives at
mydigitallife
Could I be using the wrong ramdrive?

Charlie,

FYI, in terms of Windows 7, you need a different ramdrive This was recommended to me by a friend.

http://memory.dataram.com/products-and-services/software/ramdisk#download-ramdisk

Don't know anything about it and I'm just starting to look at Windows7 stuff.

N

Posted by: caktus
Date: February 01, 2011 07:54PM

ndebord
caktus
ndebord
Charlie,

I have reinstalled RamDisk with default settings (the previous installation was set to 64M) but still, after using the computer for a while, R:\Tenp folder remains empty. I redounloaded RamDisk and installed with default settings and again, after using the comuter for a while R:\Temp folder remains enpty. RamDisk is appearantly working because the computer is extremely fast. The only time the computer is slow (I am using dialup) is while I am downloading videos and even then the computer is unusually fast.

mydigitallife

Charlie,

FYI, in terms of Windows 7, you need a different ramdrive This was recommended to me by a friend.

http://memory.dataram.com/products-and-services/software/ramdisk#download-ramdisk

Thanks for the info, ndebord. I wasn't aware of the ramdisk problem with Windows 7. A friend with Windows 7 blamed me for giving him a bum steer about using ramdisk.:O I'll have to pass this along to him.

Also, thanks for the info on KM 1.6. It has been sounding as if 1.6 is much faster in all cases but I am waiting for the final release as health problems and meds make even small tasks such as troubleshooting and customizing rather difficult.sad smiley But as soon as 1.6 is in final release I will certainly give it a run for it's money.

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2011 07:56PM by caktus.

Posted by: guenter
Date: February 02, 2011 12:30AM

caktus
KM 1.6. It has been sounding as if 1.6 is much faster in all cases but I am waiting for the final release as health problems and meds make even small tasks such as troubleshooting and customizing rather difficult.sad smiley

Sorry to hear of Your health problems. sad smiley

K-Meleon 1.6beta2 can reuse Your 1.5 customizations.

Either graft the Profile (plus maybe customized skins) to 1.6 or back the 1.5 profile up for safty & use it with both versions. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2011 12:31AM by guenter.

Date: February 02, 2011 05:34AM

caktus
ndebord
caktus
ndebord
Charlie,

mydigitallife

Charlie,

Thanks for the info, ndebord. I wasn't aware of the ramdisk problem with Windows 7. A friend with Windows 7 blamed me for giving him a bum steer about using ramdisk.:O I'll have to pass this along to him.

Also, thanks for the info on KM 1.6. It has been sounding as if 1.6 is much faster in all cases but I am waiting for the final release as health problems and meds make even small tasks such as troubleshooting and customizing rather difficult.sad smiley But as soon as 1.6 is in final release I will certainly give it a run for it's money.

Charlie,

I run KM 1.6 beta 1 as my primary browser now... I didn't see all of the problems with that version, so stuck with it. I also run KM 1.6 beta 2 and KM 1.6 alpha 2 as test beds and when push comes to shove, I still run KM 1.5.4, but only because history works there as that version has problems with some sites.

N

Date: February 05, 2011 05:50PM

Apparently the problem was caused by ramdisk. Since getting rid of the ramdisk 1.1.0.0 and moving the IE and KM cache folders back to their default locations a few days ago everything has been fine.

Thank you for the positive info regarding KM 1.6. I will give it a try. I have always experienced problems when trying to backup and graft/import my Profile, and customized skins to new KM browsers even with Profile Backup XUL. Could someone please offer step by step instructions for dummies?:s:s:s

Thank you.

Charlie

Posted by: JujuLand
Date: February 05, 2011 08:04PM

Ha,ha, Caktus a dummy ... not really sure.

In fact using an old profile is not as easy as some guys want to tell it.

For password files, bookmarks, mimetypes, there is not too much problems, but it's not the same for prefs.js.

First, the folder must often been modified (if concurrent installs), and a lot of prefs change from a version to another (from 1.5.x to 1.6.x for example).

So when I do it, I generally make it manually, line by line not to have too much problems, and mainly for extensions.

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Date: February 08, 2011 07:55PM

JujuLand
So when I do it, I generally make it manually, line by line not to have too much problems, and mainly for extensions.

Same here, customizing aways seems to work out best so I guess I'll just start from scratch again. Actually, I'm getting kind of used to starting all over.¬_¬

Thanks.

Charlie

Date: February 09, 2011 05:37AM

JujuLand
Ha,ha, Caktus a dummy ... not really sure.

In fact using an old profile is not as easy as some guys want to tell it.

For password files, bookmarks, mimetypes, there is not too much problems, but it's not the same for prefs.js.

First, the folder must often been modified (if concurrent installs), and a lot of prefs change from a version to another (from 1.5.x to 1.6.x for example).

A+

Alain,

I do the same, using a two pane file manager to do line by line file comparisons.

N

Date: February 22, 2011 02:10PM

Morin' Folks.

Turns out I had been moving the disk cache rather than the mem cache to ramdisk.:O Moving the mem cache to ramdisk works much bettersmiling smiley, so far.

Charlie

Date: February 22, 2011 07:22PM

caktus
Morin' Folks.

Turns out I had been moving the disk cache rather than the mem cache to ramdisk.:O Moving the mem cache to ramdisk works much bettersmiling smiley, so far.

Caktus,

TWo questions for you. Why would moving memory cache to a protected memory cache in ramdrive be any better than the default? Second, where is the setting in KM to change memory cache location to a ramdrive?

Tks.

N

Date: February 23, 2011 03:50PM

ndebord
caktus
Morin' Folks.

Caktus,

TWo questions for you. Why would moving memory cache to a protected memory cache in ramdrive be any better than the default? Second, where is the setting in KM to change memory cache location to a ramdrive?

Tks.

THanks for the questions.grinning smiley

Why would moving memory cache to a protected memory cache in ramdrive be any better than the default?

Come to think of it, I guess it wouldn't. I guess "better" was just a misperception.

I manually moved it from K-Meleon1.6.0_Beta2_en-US\Profiles\o10ifg4m.default. But after checking again, I guess that was just moving the disk cache after all.:s My bad.

In any case, I removed the KM cache from the ramdisk as it apparently caused KM to hang occasionally. But I left IE TIF's folder in the ramdisk as it helps to speed up loading pages in IE.

Second, where is the setting in KM to change memory cache location to a ramdrive?

Apparently there is none. I guess I can blame that on the dev's.:cool:

Charlie

Date: February 23, 2011 04:29PM

caktus
ndebord
caktus
Morin' Folks.

Caktus,

Tks.

Charlie,

Recently I decided not to use the ramdrive with KM as it did appear to choke (or hang, or whatever) from time to time. I have continued to use the ramdrdive with IE8 as that browser runs slow on my old Pentium M 1.5 Ghz laptop with only 768Megs RAM. Why the ramdrive and KM don't work as well as I rememeber them in older version of KM is a mystery to me. (KM 0.8.2 and ramdrive, if memory serves, worked well with the ramdrive.)

THanks for the questions.grinning smiley

Why would moving memory cache to a protected memory cache in ramdrive be any better than the default?

Come to think of it, I guess it wouldn't. I guess "better" was just a misperception.

I manually moved it from K-Meleon1.6.0_Beta2_en-US\Profiles\o10ifg4m.default. But after checking again, I guess that was just moving the disk cache after all.:s My bad.

In any case, I removed the KM cache from the ramdisk as it apparently caused KM to hang occasionally. But I left IE TIF's folder in the ramdisk as it helps to speed up loading pages in IE.

Second, where is the setting in KM to change memory cache location to a ramdrive?

Apparently there is none. I guess I can blame that on the dev's.:cool:

N

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.