disk cache on ram drive
Posted by: ndebord
Date: January 17, 2010 05:53PM

I use a ramdrive for my disk cache (8 megs disk, 8 megs memory). When I used a disk cache in a sub-folder inside K-meleon's profile, a setting in the Privacy Toolbar would clear out the cache when the browser shut down. However, with the ramdrive setting, when I exit K-Meleon, the cache is not emptied?

Help!

N

Re: disk cache on ram drive
Date: February 02, 2010 05:11AM

ndebord
I use a ramdrive for my disk cache (8 megs disk, 8 megs memory). When I used a disk cache in a sub-folder inside K-meleon's profile, a setting in the Privacy Toolbar would clear out the cache when the browser shut down. However, with the ramdrive setting, when I exit K-Meleon, the cache is not emptied?

Help!

Well, never did figure out how to get KM to auto delete the disk cache when it is on the ram drive. The good news? KM now runs like a bat out of he*l.

Rramdisk is what it is called and it is a modification of the MS disk with improvements. Has run without a hitch for me and I use it with KM and IE (8 megs to each) using the default settings of Drive R and 16 megs.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/05/27/free-ramdisk-for-windows-vista-xp-2000-and-2003-server/

N

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2010 05:12AM by ndebord.

Posted by: chinarobin
Date: April 15, 2010 04:55AM

ndebord :

i am using the same thing with you, but i spent 1g for it. have u try SuperCache?

Date: April 15, 2010 01:05PM

chinarobin
ndebord :

i am using the same thing with you, but i spent 1g for it. have u try SuperCache?

chinarobin,

Never heard of SuperCache. I'll take a look now. Much thanks.

N

Posted by: mhf
Date: April 16, 2010 11:41AM

I also use a ramdrive for the cache, at the moment at 128mb which seems enough unless I watch some videos grinning smiley but here the cache empties when I close KM - and yes it speeds things up a lot.

Date: April 17, 2010 02:48AM

mhf
I also use a ramdrive for the cache, at the moment at 128mb which seems enough unless I watch some videos grinning smiley but here the cache empties when I close KM - and yes it speeds things up a lot.

mhf,

The cache empties automatically. AH... could you tell me what ramdrive you are using?

Tks.

N

Date: April 17, 2010 05:12PM

ndebord - I'm using the same one as you : Ramdisk ...smiling smiley

What I don't understand is the question in your first post which you then answer yourself in your last post grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2010 05:17PM by mhf.

Date: April 18, 2010 10:37PM

mhf
ndebord - I'm using the same one as you : Ramdisk ...smiling smiley

What I don't understand is the question in your first post which you then answer yourself in your last post grinning smiley

mhf,

My bad... the cache empties automatically should have had a question mark at the end. I asked because mine doesn't empty, have to click on the Privacy ToolBar to empty it.

P.S.

AAArrrghhh. Stooopid me. I have the Privacy bar setting on empty cach at startup, not at shutdown. Just changed it and the cache empties itself properly. I was so complacent about my settings, I didn't check what I thought it was set to. Stoopid.

P.P.S.

On another note, I find that by using the ram drive, KM 1.5.4 runs almost as fast as KM 1.6 alpha and that despite the fact the the KM 1.5.4 Gecko 1.8 engine is significantly slower than the Gecko 1.9.1?? engine and new JavaScript engine.

<SIGH>

N

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2010 10:44PM by ndebord.

Date: April 19, 2010 09:47PM

I haven't tried KM 1.6a yet.

Yes, complacency can get the better of us...!

Date: April 19, 2010 11:22PM

mhf
I haven't tried KM 1.6a yet.

Yes, complacency can get the better of us...!

mhf,

It certainly did this time!

N

Posted by: caktus
Date: May 08, 2010 06:45PM

ndebord
KM 1.5.4 runs almost as fast as KM 1.6 alpha

Same here. I am glade I stopped by your Forum Thread.smiling smiley BTW, can the rram size be changed only in the gui, or must a changed be accompanied by a change in the registry as well? The instructions seem to be a little above above my pay grade.:s

Thank you,

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Posted by: SoerenB
Date: May 08, 2010 07:03PM

must a changed be accompanied by a change in the registry as well?

No

Cheers
SoerenB

Back again ...

Date: May 10, 2010 02:40AM

caktus
ndebord
KM 1.5.4 runs almost as fast as KM 1.6 alpha

Same here. I am glade I stopped by your Forum Thread.smiling smiley BTW, can the rram size be changed only in the gui, or must a changed be accompanied by a change in the registry as well? The instructions seem to be a little above above my pay grade.:s

Thank you,

caktus,

As Soerenb said, just change the default settings, no need to muck around with the registry. In my case, I merely wanted a minimum ram drive so I let rram go with its default 16 megs... I use KM 1.5.4 with 8 megs memory and 8 megs HD cache (or in this case 8 megs rram).

N

Date: May 12, 2010 03:21PM

Does anyone know if RamDisk maintains accessable files relating to HTTPS pages? Is it possible to access ANY RamDisk files?

Charlie

Date: May 12, 2010 04:32PM

caktus
Does anyone know if RamDisk maintains accessable files relating to HTTPS pages? Is it possible to access ANY RamDisk files?

I don't know yet about HTTPS pages - haven't looked - but sure you can view any files in RamDisk cache the same as an "ordinary" cache.

Date: May 12, 2010 06:22PM

caktus

caktus,

Since KM doesn't use standard file extensions, it is hard to be sure, but I just used Scroogle SSL to search for avatar and in R:\Temp\Cache was a flash file with the correct time stamp and a header that said avatar.

N

Date: May 12, 2010 09:04PM

Hi,

RAM disk = part of the RAM appearing as a drive, with it's own drive letter, in your file manager - be that Windows Explorer or any other. File can be seen/accessed there? Then it can be seen/accessed here.

Cheers
SoerenB

Back again ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2010 09:05PM by SoerenB.

Date: May 13, 2010 09:04PM

ndebord
caktus

caktus,

Since KM doesn't use standard file extensions, it is hard to be sure, but I just used Scroogle SSL to search for avatar and in R:\Temp\Cache was a flash file with the correct time stamp and a header that said avatar.

My R:\Temp is empty though windows and programs are opening like a bat out of LLEH. Shouldn't there be something in R:\Temp?

Charlie

Date: May 13, 2010 09:45PM

caktus
ndebord
caktus

caktus,

My R:\Temp is empty though windows and programs are opening like a bat out of LLEH. Shouldn't there be something in R:\Temp?

Charlie,

This is what I show with that R: drive.

Dir of Source R:\TEMP\CACHE
Target C:\BAT
.. <DIR> 5-13-10
6E3ECA~1 38482 5-13-10
B6D295~1 20542 5-13-10
CEA2FD~1 37547 5-13-10
D295A5~1 20542 5-13-10

N

Date: May 14, 2010 04:14PM

ndebord
Charlie,

This is what I show with that R: drive.....

I have reinstalled RamDisk with default settings (the previous installation was set to 64M) but still, after using the computer for a while, R:\Tenp folder remains empty. I redounloaded RamDisk and installed with default settings and again, after using the comuter for a while R:\Temp folder remains enpty. RamDisk is appearantly working because the computer is extremely fast. The only time the computer is slow (I am using dialup) is while I am downloading videos and even then the computer is unusually fast.

I notice that there are links to several different ramdrives at
mydigitallife
Could I be using the wrong ramdrive?

Charlie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2010 04:26PM by caktus.

Date: May 14, 2010 04:29PM

Hi, cactus...
just to make sure: You HAVE checked "cache files on disk" and set R:\TEMP as your cache folder in -> F2 -> Network/Performance -> Cache?

Cheers
SoerenB

Back again ...

Date: May 14, 2010 08:58PM

SoerenB
Hi, cactus...
just to make sure: You HAVE checked "cache files on disk" and set R:\TEMP as your cache folder in -> F2 -> Network/Performance -> Cache?

"cache files on disk" is checked. Didn't realize that R:\TEMP had to be set to cache folder in Network/Performance -> Cache. Maybe this change will fix the problem.

Thanks.

Charlie

Date: May 14, 2010 09:30PM

caktus
SoerenB
Hi, cactus...

"cache files on disk" is checked. Didn't realize that R:\TEMP had to be set to cache folder in Network/Performance -> Cache. Maybe this change will fix the problem.

Thanks.

Charlie,

Truly don't know if you have to have a temp folder or not. I do not remember how it is that I have one, but it works, so I'm not going to change it. <weak grin>

N

Date: May 15, 2010 12:43PM

Hi.

ndebord
Truly don't know if you have to have a temp folder or not.

You don't. My cache folder is on R:\

caktus
Didn't realize that R:\TEMP had to be set to cache folder in Network/Performance -> Cache

Again: you don't have to have it there. But if you don't set any place on R:\, the cache folder will be put in your profile.default folder, that is the default location, AFAIK.

caktus
RamDisk is appearantly working because the computer is extremely fast.

Well, if your profile.default folder was not on R:\ during runtime before, it should be even faster after putting cache on R:\ ... grinning smiley

Cheers
SoerenB

Back again ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2010 12:46PM by SoerenB.

Date: May 15, 2010 04:54PM

Interesting thread on ramdisks here
particularly today's (15th May) posts with a comprehensive list of ramdisk or ramdrive software.

Date: May 15, 2010 09:32PM

SoerenB
Hi.

ndebord
Truly don't know if you have to have a temp folder or not.

caktus
Didn't realize that R:\TEMP had to be set to cache folder in Network/Performance -> Cache

Again: you don't have to have it there. But if you don't set any place on R:\, the cache folder will be put in your profile.default folder, that is the default location, AFAIK.

caktus
RamDisk is appearantly working because the computer is extremely fast.

Well, if your profile.default folder was not on R:\ during runtime before, it should be even faster after putting cache on R:\ ... grinning smiley

Thanks, Guy's. I changed the cache folder location to the R:\Temp and it is now as I had expected it. And BTW, SoerenB, the computer is "even faster." I could barely believe the effect RamDisk has on IE. After just a little use of the browser, IE(6) is for the most part faster the IE8 on a friends RR connection. I wish I had known about RamDisk many moon's ago.smiling smiley

Charlie

Date: May 15, 2010 09:58PM

I think this subject has already been touched on during this forum thread but I am having trouble grasping the concept.

Would it be possible to prevent the R:\Temp\Cache from clearing when KM or IE is closed. Or better yet, fool RamDisk into reading from the IE and or KM History as though history were the cache, while saving History to default settings?

Thank you.

Charlie

Date: May 16, 2010 02:36AM

caktus
I think this subject has already been touched on during this forum thread but I am having trouble grasping the concept.

Would it be possible to prevent the R:\Temp\Cache from clearing when KM or IE is closed. Or better yet, fool RamDisk into reading from the IE and or KM History as though history were the cache, while saving History to default settings?

Thank you.

The cache is not automatically cleared when you exit KM unless you use the Privacy Bar and have told it to clear cache on either (or both) startup and shutdown.

Tools/Privacy/Clear Data/Clear Automatically

You'll have to ask others about reading from History instead. Above my competence level, I'm afraid.

N

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2010 02:39AM by ndebord.

Date: May 16, 2010 03:19AM

ndebord
caktus

Thank you.

The cache is not automatically cleared when you exit KM unless you use the Privacy Bar and have told it to clear cache on either (or both) startup and shutdown.

Tools/Privacy/Clear Data/Clear Automatically

You'll have to ask others about reading from History instead. Above my competence level, I'm afraid.

Thanks. Turns out restarting the computer is what was clearing RamDisks cache. As for making RamDisk read from history instead of it's cache, I guess it would only be reading links which I suppose would kind of defeat the purpose of RamDisk.

Charlie

Date: May 16, 2010 10:49PM

caktus
[
Thanks. Turns out restarting the computer is what was clearing RamDisks cache. As for making RamDisk read from history instead of it's cache, I guess it would only be reading links which I suppose would kind of defeat the purpose of RamDisk.

Charlie,

Having the reboot clear the cache is how I used to do it, until I discovered Privacy Bar.

N

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.