Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
Check this out!! font size macro is NOT needed
Posted by: bob
Date: July 13, 2002 01:46AM

I believe this functionality came from mozilla and it already exists. hold the CTRL key down and then press (+) to increase font size in increments and (-) to reduce font size in increments. It does work with K-meleon!!! just like in mozilla. (the plus and minus keys on the main keyboard beside the backspace key work NOT the num. pad)

I have seen people in Dev-List mention about adding a macro for this but this is not needed. Perhaps you could add this to the documentation and FAQs to make it clear.

Thanks
bob

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Check this out!! font size macro is NOT needed
Posted by: bob
Date: July 13, 2002 02:17AM

I have taken 2 screenshots of the yahoo page in kmeleon using this feature,

small font
http://www3.150m.com/images/kmeleon_small.gif

bigger font
http://www3.150m.com/images/kmeleon_big.gif

Posted by: Mark
Date: July 13, 2002 03:31AM

Um... are you using the latest beta, per chance?

If so, when you press those keys you are invoking the font-size macros that I put in the default config. Check out your macros.cfg to see them.

If you're not, then we need to talk, because I can't get mine to do that (without the macros, that is)... ;-)

Posted by: po
Date: July 13, 2002 04:51AM

wheeeeee! sometimes the confusion that results from lack of communication is pretty harmless and really damn funny... and then you just have to enjoy it. smiling smiley

it was a very strange feeling that crept over me as i started to read that post...

which gives me an idea: maybe the release notes page that loads in k-meleon the first time it's launched should contain links to the various *.cfg files in the .../defaults/profile/ directory, to encourage reading the documentation within them, particularly when things change in a way that may impact reverse-compatibility with existing macros, etc... just a thought.

(and i should point out that i'm not poking fun at anyone, here... i can imagine the exact same thing happening to me, and that's why i find it so funny, i guess...)

cheers, all.

Posted by: Robert
Date: July 13, 2002 04:43PM

BTW: But another feature works with a wheel-mouse:
user_pref("mousewheel.withcontrolkey.action", 3);

This text-zoom works with font-size in px or pt too.

Robert

Date: July 14, 2002 01:14AM

holy basil! it's true! it works *much* better than altering the pref with a macro, too... there's got to be a way to hook into this to provide a command ID that can be mapped to something besides a scrollwheel (since i had to hook one up special just to try this out). i would imagine this would work regardless of character encoding, etc, too... which puts that issue to rest, if this can in fact be made to work...

Posted by: Mark
Date: July 14, 2002 03:31AM

(I know a guy named Basil...)

I looked at the mozilla code that handles the scrollwheel fontsize change (oh how I love open source... but that's obvious, I suppose), and it uses a completely different mechanism than the prefs we've been messing around with. It makes the pref changing look like a nasty hack. I guess it is, really.

But one thing the pref does have is persistance. The scrollwheel change only applies to the current winow - it doesn't apply to new windows or persist when the browser is restarted. I suppose that the mozilla method could be implemented as two command IDs (size up/down) in the interest of flexibility, though.

Thanks for the heads up, Robert.

Date: July 14, 2002 04:51AM

> But one thing the pref does have is persistance.

that's an interesting point... i guess what there really should be is a place in the preferences dialog for setting that easily... and then a macro could be tailored to be used more sparingly (maybe under a menu item labeled 'base font size' or something... and i think it could be coarser-grained - maybe +/- 2 instead of 1?).

in any case, the built in function is the most elegant way to make on-the-fly changes, hands down... it will actually impact the size of text on this page, where the setpref won't, which counts for a fair amount, i think.

> Thanks for the heads up, Robert.

yeah, and thanks for starting this thread, bob.

it's funny how things work out...

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.