K-meleon 1.6 on Kernelex WIN ME / 98
Posted by: dugbugoffice
Date: February 25, 2010 05:23AM

K-meleon is one of the browsers I used going way back.
I have did my best to get some speed out of it on my old OS
I hit all the files with UPX set it all to hidden, read only etc.
The old GRE is at it's limit.

There needs to be a push for the 1.6 K-meleon. I am sure it can be running
on an old system. I have Firefox 3.5 running on WIN ME with help from Kernelex
& Unicode, unicows.dll. Sure some browsers do not work, Seamonkey 2.0 & a few like it. I am not sure why it does not work with Kernelex I copied the files renamed the .EXE to firefox.exe but no luck so from that I knew it was the GRE. That is why
I say K-meleon 1.6 needs to be tested on that old OS.

Full info on my OS is at: http://www.angelfire.com/bug/dugbuglas2/OLDPC.html
P.s. I have a K-meleon kit. on there too.

Re: K-meleon 1.6 on Kernelex WIN ME / 98
Posted by: siria
Date: February 25, 2010 07:34AM

UPDATE:
KM1.6 DOES run on win98se, if you install certain unofficial system updates!! smiling smiley smiling smiley smiling smiley
I'm using it since KM1.6preBeta version now, mostly happy grinning smiley There are some bugs due to beta stage, and a few more due to win98, but can live with it, mostly runs smoothly and hopefully will get fixes and workarounds in the future too smiling smiley

"How To" from Nov.2010:

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,112558

--------------
below are my old posts:

My hope for KM 1.6 on win98 tends towards zero meanwhile :-(
The problem isn't the gecko, it's the k-meleon.exe. If you don't "install" but only unzip the program, you find that there are two separate exe's, one for W9x and the other for current systems. And that new one never worked with win98, neither in the past. Now if KM drops support for 9x completely, as has been claimed, that means no W9x-exe, that means it doesn't help whether kernelex can handle the gecko or not, you don't even get so far :-(

Firefox 3.5 runs fine for me too, on win98se, despite gecko 1.9.x Other people said the print function doesn't work, but my old inkjet is always dried and offservice anyway, so why :cool: Even if the printer worked, it would be rarely used, and I'd happily use an alternative browser for those occasions tongue sticking out smiley

But I do see the statistics that say the use of win98 has dropped drastically even just since 2008, from 0.5% to 0.08, so can't blame them :-(

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2010 07:59PM by siria.

Re: K-meleon 1.6 on Kernelex WIN ME / 98 / windows98se
Date: March 02, 2010 08:05PM

Forget my last post... *oops*

KM 1.6 WORKS on win98se!! Well, just "mostly"... :cool:

There are already some 9x-related postings here:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,103184,page=2
But I think it was a good idea to create an own thread for it, thanx smiling smiley

Okay, so the k-meleon.exe finally starts with the latest Kernel-Ex, version 4.5 beta (and various MS windows updates). And surfing in the web works fine with the gecko 1.9.x

Now KM 1.6a3 seems to work rather well for Slayer's machine, but on mine somehow most of the 1.6 kplugins refuse to work :-( You must have installed something else yet...?

The 4 kplugins that work on my box without problems (as far as I can tell) are:
fullscreen, privacy, toolbars, rebarmenu

Mouse gestures work fine, except the pref sheet for new settings:
The prefs sheet is showing no commands available, no adding of new ones possible, but anyway the gesture actions copied from my old profile work fully smiling smiley And the settings can still be changed in about:config. I suspect the pref sheet may perhaps rather have a problem with the gestures.xml, not really the plugin itself? And if I copy the plugin from KM 1.5.4, it's exactly the same as with the original from 1.6

The 1.6 plugins that I don't get working at all (no menu entries), but still work fine if I copy over their versions from 1.5.4:
macros, history, favorites, sessions

The only one that doesn't work at all is JSBridge (neither new nor old version).
Don't know much about that one, only that without it it's not possible to work with exceptions for cookies, popups, images, and not even the "Exceptions" buttons appear in the pref sheets. And the hostperm.1 list is ignored too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2010 08:06PM by siria.

Posted by: slayer
Date: March 05, 2010 12:18AM

Ok lets use this thread instead.
My findings:
I can not clear the history from the 'Tools>Privacy>Clear Data' menu, but it works perfectly from the conficurations panel at: F2, Browsing>History>Clear button.
The "Finding Websites" values are empty.
Thats for now.

Date: March 05, 2010 04:17AM

Your problems seem much the same that also XP-users have, so probably real bugs and I don't worry it will be fixed.
That all the other stuff works for you gives me a lot of hope, but my one big question is: Why do the new KPLUGINS work for you and not for me?? What could it be that I need to install yet? You are on 98se too, right...? What Kex-version? What else could it be...
The vcredist I can't install, it stops in the middle. The kmeleon.dll seems only be needed for locales, so shouldn't matter as long as the language is set to english.

Date: March 05, 2010 01:07PM

I don't know what KPLUGINS is? Just tell me what I need to test and I will tell you.

Date: March 05, 2010 02:05PM

It's that stuff in the folder K-Meleon/kplugins :cool:
There's not much testing needed, it jumps at you if it doesn't work:
The zoom is only for text, the privacy bar and menu and entries is gone, the History button and menu is gone, and... and... etc. ...

Posted by: guenter
Date: March 05, 2010 08:17PM

Where siria said. Maybe rename the folder and then start K-Meleon.grinning smiley

Much of K-Meleon's functionality does not come frome the exe but from these modules.
To look F2 -> K-Meleon Plugins with explanation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2010 08:18PM by guenter.

Date: March 05, 2010 10:19PM

I can see the History dialog and its button on the toolbar, both work.
I can do Zoom (in & out), both Images and text, and I really mess the page doing it, so I don't touch those buttons really.
The privacy bar is there, and I can use it.

My K-Meleon1.6.0a3 stuff:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.9.1.9pre) Gecko K-Meleon/1.6.0

The installer for KE is KernelEx-4.5-Beta2.exe

I don't know if the sessions work, I haven't tried that yet.
If I press F11 I get the fullscreen mode.
I'm using some macros, and I know they work OK:
bugmenotauto.kmm
mailinator.kmm
mailcatch.kmm
Tineye.kmm (my version)
youtubedownload.kmm

Re: K-meleon 1.6-alpha3 on Kernelex WIN ME / 98 / windows98se
Date: March 07, 2010 08:57AM

Thanks for the info.
So we have the same KEx version, and the same KM 1.6-alpha3 version, and you have set KM to windows2003 compatibility (NT5.2). But whether I have it XP or 2003 compatible, that makes no change, and have also tried all the other modes too.
Guess you have win98se too, or was it ME...?

If I only knew what is missing... Have you installed that redist thing? I don't get that to install, it breaks in the middle because some system files are missing. On the MSN forum is more update stuff for win98se, but am a bit hesitating to experiment too much currently, too little disk space for backup the c:-image ;-) If I knew what exactly is missing for the new kplugins I'd try that...

That is what I see with 1.6-kplugins: No history, neither in menu nor the button, and zoom is only basic. That is just an example, there seems to be some very basic thing that prevents all "new" dll's from being even recognized as existing :-/ As listed above, some work, and some not at all. The old 1.5.4 ones still work all fine, so I strongly suspect those 1.6versions that work are still the old ones, just with an updated date...

Man, the GECKO 1.9 works fine in win98se, and at last the k-meleon.exe for NT works fine too (with KEx), if it only were not for those new dll's!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2010 09:00AM by siria.

Date: March 07, 2010 01:46PM

And this is all I get to see as plugins in original KM 1.6a3, with Kernel-Ex:

Edit: Oops... Was my fault, had just forgotten to move some plugins back into the original folder *blush* In fact all works fine if they are there!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2010 07:56PM by siria.

Date: March 07, 2010 08:48PM

Win98SE 4.10.2222 A
I don't have the redist thing and I really don't know what redist are you talking about. grinning smiley

Coul be the font scheme ? I'm using the Arial font.
Coul be a long path ? Where do you have the files? Mine:C:\Descargas\K-Meleon1.6.0a3
I haven't installed anything else from the MSFN forum.
I have created the profiles.ini file.
I will try to find why this version is working in my System and not in yours.

Date: March 07, 2010 09:27PM

slayer
Win98SE 4.10.2222 A
I don't have the redist thing and I really don't know what redist are you talking about. grinning smiley
Coul be the font scheme ? I'm using the Arial font.
Coul be a long path ? Where do you have the files? Mine:C:\Descargas\K-Meleon1.6.0a3
I haven't installed anything else from the MSFN forum.
I have created the profiles.ini file.
I will try to find why this version is working in my System and not in yours.

Okay, thanks again! So it's the very same win98 version. My path is short and without blanks either. A font problem, I can't quite imagine... If you don't have redist, and nothing more from MSFN, that means it must probably be something else... My KM is always portable too. And I'm afraid, since your version is running, it would be really difficult on your end to figure out what may be missing on mine winking smiley

But I had a major breakthrough now, YEAH!!!!! grinning smiley
Not everything works yet, no history-favorites-bookmarks-hotlist, and the plugins in prefs still look the same, way too little - but much more stuff is working now!! Ouf...
I finally remembered that some time ago I had played with some dll info program, dependency walker, trying to find more available macro commands inside the plugins (like favorites/reload). It didn't help anything at the time and didn't seem to work right anyway, but now when I at last had the brilliant idea to throw one of those 1.6 plugins at it, it gave me 3 red errors - 3 missing system dlls! 2 of them are inside KM, indepently, so doesn't matter if that program doesn't find them in the windows folder. But the 3rd was nowhere yet!!
msvcp80.dll
So I went and downloaded it from the net and put it into the KM folder - and suddenly zoom options are back, sessions are back, PRIVACY stuff is back, a whole bunch more in the tools menu is back, icons for source code and cache information are back and other things!
Obviously KM only complained at first start that it couldn't find msvcr80, but never said a thing about msvcP80!
Now I'll try some more plugins and see if it figures out perhaps another missing system dll... But at any rate a **LOT** more is already working now grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley

Edit: Obviously it was the history plugin that I had tried and gave those 3 errors, just funny that just this one still doesn't show in the menus tongue sticking out smiley Although in Prefs I can use the tab for the settings, it's weird...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2010 09:33PM by siria.

Date: March 07, 2010 09:39PM

That is the result of an explorer search for "msvc" in my windows folder.
Could it be that it's all there, just perhaps in a wrong place...?
Guess I'm going to throw a bunch of those in that winsxs folder into my KM folder and look what happens :cool: grinning smiley

EDIT:
Pity, no. All the others don't bring back the last missing plugins. It was only that first one, msvcp80.dll, which worked almost wonders. Will have to keep looking...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2010 09:47PM by siria.

Date: March 07, 2010 09:57PM

My msvc stuff:

Date: March 07, 2010 10:28PM

Okay....
Have now checked all plugins for error messages, but all complain only about the 80ties-dll's. Having all 80ies and 90ies inside the KM folder didn't help reviving the last missing plugins. You have the 80ies in the win-system folder. So I copied them there too, and restarted windows, but still the same...

Date: March 07, 2010 11:20PM

This is what the Dependency Walker tells me about the history.dll
Chek the file dates, maybe is just that.

Date: March 08, 2010 05:51PM

Oh man, I don't believe that - going to hide under a stone...

For some odd reason that KM folder wasn't as original as I had thought, I had copied back and forth some old and new kplugins - and in fact the few kplugins that were still missing after adding that msvcp80.dll were REALLY missing physically - in that folder...

In fact all seems to work now on 98se just like on modern machines!! grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley
A few bugs of course, but that's real bugs due to alpha status, not just win98 probs.

So all it took was to get that msvcp80.dll! That dll doesn't seem to have worked from that redist install in that winsxs folder (in win98se), but it does work fine if it's either in the KM folder or in the windows/system folder!!

Just one harmless little win98 thing, the menuicons for bookmarks and favorites have a black background. And the privacy bar has no text. But exchanging those is really no prob at all - provided one knows already his ways around KM a little... ;-)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2010 06:26PM by siria.

Date: March 08, 2010 07:00PM

It's the skin, I'm using the Klassic skin (it comes with this version too), which works better.

Date: March 08, 2010 07:40PM

Yep, I've set the skin to klassic too, but really, the privbar has such a tiny font! Now I'm going to use a slightly modified Aura-default-skin in one profile, and my classiria skin in another, for real use grinning smiley
It would probably suffice to just exchange the privbar imageline and those of bookmarks-favorites, which are transparent in Aura. I'd say this shouldn't be overly difficult, for the release one could simply include another default skin Aura(win9x) that contains just those three imagelines and the toolbars.cfg

But man, the last hour I've been struggling again - thought I'm going crazy!! I knew for sure that KM-1.6a had justed worked, and still did from the original folder, but after copying it to another partition and renaming it, it was nuts again, showed only black bars in the page and gray stripes and no text... :

I remembered having seen such a thing before, and dimly remembered it was something harmless, just some little thing somewhere to change... Just what??? And most of all: Why in the world did the KM-folder work on one partition and on the other not?? Oh man... it took so long until I noticed: The renaming had broken the entry in the Kernel-Ex-compatibility list! Just like a link, after moving and renaming K-meleon.exe-properties were not set to any compatibility anymore. Cured in seconds. Somehow I'm doing nothing but stupid nonsense today *blush*

Now just for comparing and "prove" how it looks WITH kernel-ex tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2014 11:42PM by siria.

Posted by: 4td8s
Date: April 09, 2010 04:50PM

just wondering, siria. have you tested all of the KM 1.6a3 plugins (such as Flashblock) on your win98se + kernelex computer?

Date: April 09, 2010 05:38PM

For extensive testing I find it a bit too early, seeing that KM1.6 is not yet in any 'finished' state, still too much on the To-Do-List. Especially some important Preferences sheets are not yet updated and functional.

But since you ask, I just took a quick look at youtube, and yes, flashblock seems to work.

Date: May 12, 2010 01:17AM

um, siria, the first KM 1.7 alpha is now available.
also available is KM 1.6 alpha 4.

go to the following site for the new KM downloads:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/kmeleon/files/k-meleon-dev/

Date: October 19, 2010 01:03AM

oh siria!

I got latest K-meleon 1.6 pre-beta to work properly under Win98/ME w/ latest KernelEx installed. After I installed recent Kernelex 4.5 RC, reboot and then set K-MELEON.EXE to run in either "Win2000" or "XP SP2" compatibility mode from the EXE's Compatibility tab on the Properties dialog box, KM 1.6 now works as if it was running under either Win2000 or WinXP but under Win98/ME.

Ah the latest versions of KernelEx and Revolutions Pack for 98/ME seem to give brand new life to these Win9x OSes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2010 01:03AM by 4td8s.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: October 19, 2010 01:12PM

4td8s
oh siria!

I got latest K-meleon 1.6 pre-beta to work properly under Win98/ME w/ latest KernelEx installed. After I installed recent Kernelex 4.5 RC, reboot and then set K-MELEON.EXE to run in either "Win2000" or "XP SP2" compatibility mode from the EXE's Compatibility tab on the Properties dialog box, KM 1.6 now works as if it was running under either Win2000 or WinXP but under Win98/ME.

Ah the latest versions of KernelEx and Revolutions Pack for 98/ME seem to give brand new life to these Win9x OSes.

45d8s and Siria,

Thanks much for your work on KernelEx... helped out a friend of mine who is running W98se and KM. <g>

N

Date: October 19, 2010 07:05PM

Credit goes to the KernelEx developers smiling smiley
Cool that it works for two more users!!

Just curious, can you tell how the website favicons in your TABS bar look?? Mine are mostly badly messed, but in FF3 look normal, so it must be something inside the browser itself.

And how about font kerning, bold fonts tend to merge the letters on my machine, for example on about:config. The letter width is exactly the same for normal and bold words?

Posted by: guenter
Date: October 30, 2010 11:48PM

siria

Just curious, can you tell how the website favicons in your TABS bar look?? Mine are mostly badly messed, but in FF3 look normal, so it must be something inside the browser itself.

Im Browser bzw. den Plugins scheint nicht alles mit dem selben Kode 4 Transparenz realisiert. Deshalb gehen auch Teile der Skins nicht richtig IMHO. Ob Dorian die zusätzliche Arbeit alles für 98 anzupassen zeitlich zusätzlich leisten kann und will?

Ihr überseht bei der ganzen Sache ein weiteres Problem. Die modernen Kompiler optimieren für CPU Typen und Befehle. Selbst wenn man die *80.dll nutzen kann - die alte CPU muss extra unterstützt werden.

Und Win98 läuft nicht wirklich oft auf neuen CPUs. tongue sticking out smiley

Ich weiß nicht, wie viel Arbeit Dorian pro Kompilierung hat. Er kann aber immer nur für moderne oder alte CPU optimieren oder sogar bauen. Er müsste extra für alte CPUs bauen, egal welches OS. Ihr könnt nur hoffen, dass es wenig Arbeit macht, und dass er es für sinnvoll hält es 4 uralte zu machen; Und dass es bei dem zukünftigen Mozilla Kode, den man ja 4 die GRE nehmen muss, auch ohne große (z.B. zeitliche) Probleme möglich ist.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2010 12:01AM by guenter.

Posted by: topman26
Date: November 02, 2010 12:42AM

thumps up for your article, great post...

Date: November 06, 2010 01:14AM

now we just need an official K-meleon 1.6 beta 1 to be produced and tested.
no more future pre-betas!

the creators of KM 1.6 should kick it to the next gear and get the first beta out soon. almost 6 months now since KM 1.6 alpha 4 was released.

as of this early November 2010, Seamonkey 2.1 is at beta 1 status and beta 7 of Firefox 4.0 will be released early next week.

clock is ticking... and 2010 is almost over. tick, tock, tick, tock...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2010 01:17AM by 4td8s.

Posted by: duffy98
Date: November 06, 2010 10:57AM

I didn't catch this announcement by desga2 until a few days after he posted it on Oct 27th ... the Beta could have been last week or any day now. In case you also didn't see it ... it's coming ...

Posted by: desga2
Date: October 27, 2010 02:53AM

Possibly I can release K-Meleon Beta very soon, this weekend or next week.

I'm trying to build the web default language preference panel:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,110180

I will release K-Meleon 1.6 Beta when I finished this implementation.

Although you can't see us, we are working in the shadow.
Be patient my friend.

-----------------------------

Maybe this week-end.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2010 10:59AM by duffy98.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.