Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
email in K-Meleon, possible?
Posted by: ndebord
Date: November 14, 2002 03:33PM

So, can you modify preferences to emulate or directly copy the Mozilla kludge to do email, or even better roll your own email client like Pegasus did with Netscape 4.08 or IE 3.03?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: email in K-Meleon, possible?
Posted by: Jim
Date: November 14, 2002 09:37PM

Pardon my ignorance, but what do you mean when you say "roll your own email client like Pegasus did with Netscape 4.08 or IE 3.03." I have a very slow computer, dislike using Outlook Express and have eradicated Internet Explorer. I use Netscape Communicator 4.8 for my primary browser and email client. I'd like to be able to use an email client that allowed for multiple accounts and still be able to "Send Page."

Posted by: Walt Stanley
Date: November 15, 2002 01:26AM

Boy do I like simple. But I do need an email and newsgroup program. Mozilla was a great all round set-up but even better is KM and my browser, with one inclusive tool, menu, url bar at the top, and I use Mozilla for email and mutiple news servers. I set Mozilla to open in email and it is still a good back up browser when I need more "features". I use Forte Agent too for binaries. I'm always open to more ideas.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: November 16, 2002 06:47PM

The old standlone Netscape, 4.08, was the only Netscape that allowed you to use an external email program. It wasn't because Netscape encouraged this, it was because Pegasus had already set up an external addon to allow Pegasus to be used with IE 3.03. The key way back then was to use Pegaus's third-party MAPI.DLL replacement file in C:\windows or C;\windows\system to point to Pegasus instead of the internal IE email program in use then.

Below is the MAPI.INI file from C:\windows\system. The complete package consists of the Pegasus MAPI.DLL, a MAPI.INI file and a help/faq file that explains the basics of its use. Any mapi compliant email program could be used with either IE 3.03 or Netscape 4.08 (standalone). So below is my MAPI.INI file with the original settings commented out and the newer settings to use Foxmail 2.1 inserted.

All this is old and as far as I know, without feedback from the developers doesn't work with any of the Gecko-based browsers in the Windows OS. <Sigh>

;[Mailer]
;Program=C:\winpmail
;ToSyntax=-t %s

OR

[Mailer]
Program=C:\FOXMAIL\FOXMAIL.EXE
ToSyntax=%s

Now in Mozilla, there is a kludge to use external email programs for web site feedback forms, so in PREFS.JS:

user_pref("network.protocol-handler.external.mailto", true);

Posted by: KWW
Date: November 19, 2002 02:52AM

Could you possibly use a macro to launch an external email client ? Just out of curiosity smiling smiley

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.