Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
K-Meleon and Pegasus
Posted by: Don
Date: November 17, 2002 02:12PM

How do I setup K-M to open Pegasus when I click on a mailto link?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: K-Meleon and Pegasus
Posted by: Rayven
Date: November 18, 2002 03:55AM

If Pegasus is your default email program, I think adding this line

user_pref("network.protocol-handler.external.mailto", true);

to the prefs.js file in your profile directory will work.

Date: November 18, 2002 03:04PM

Unfortunately, that did't work sad smiley

Date: November 18, 2002 07:52PM

What happens currently when you click a mailto link?

Date: November 18, 2002 08:21PM

Nothing happens. Just hear the mouse click winking smiley I currently have Pegasus Mail installed with simple MAPI on a Win95a machine. When using the standalone version of Netscape 4.08, when I click on a mailto link on any web site, Pegasus opens up to a 'new mail' window. When I click on a link in K-M, nothing happens. The Netscape pref.js file has 2 entries for using a 3rd party mail program (different than the one that is mentioned in this thread) and I tried those in the K-M pref file and it's a 'no-go'.

Date: November 18, 2002 08:43PM

hmm..when you put that line into the prefs file, did it stay there when you restarted KM? Sometimes it doesn't want to stay altered for some reason

Date: November 18, 2002 09:41PM

Yeah, it stayed in. I submitted a bug report even though I'm not sure it's really a bug.

Date: November 18, 2002 09:52PM

Don't know what to tell you then. Sorry.

Posted by: Jeff
Date: November 19, 2002 01:39AM

Have you tried running "setreg.exe" in your pegasus mail directory?

You may need to run this with the with the command line parameter "--C:\Program Files\Pmail" (without the quotes, and adjusting for whatever directory you installed pegasus into)

Essentially, what you're setting is the registry value of HKCR\mailto\shell\open\command, which wasn't originally used with Win95, but should be the key that mozilla looks to for mailto URLs.

-- Jeff

Date: November 19, 2002 12:34PM

Okay, I did this and now when I look at URL:Mailto Protocol it's pointing to Pegasus. Prior to this nothing was showing there.

The following registry keys all are pointing to Pegasus:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\mailto\shell\open\command

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\mailto\shell\open\command

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Pegasus Mail\Protocols\mailto\shell\open\command

Still, nothing happens when I click on a maito link.

Added user_pref("network.protocol-handler.external.mailto", true); to the pref.js file, still doesn't work.

I have 2 other browsers on this machine. Standalone Netscape 4.08 which works via MAPI when I click on a mailto link and Opera 5.11 which also works when I click a mailto link. The only difference with Opera is that the mail client is specified in Opera's mail setup.

Date: November 19, 2002 03:00PM

Try this:

- Close K-Meleon
- Download http://www.tcbmi.com/mozilla/mapi.zip
- Extract the contents into your kmeleon\components directory
- Delete kmeleon\components\compreg.dat
- Restart kmeleon

If that still doesn't work, try downloading and installing mozilla 1.2b. If mailto urls still won't work for you under mozilla, there's probably nothing that we can do.

-- Jeff

Date: November 19, 2002 03:56PM

Thanks for all your good suggestions Jeff, unfortuately it still doesn't work. I don't think I'll bother with Mozilla 1.2 since I was looking for a smaller lighter browser to take the place of my old Netscape. For what it's worth, the following was what I had do add to the Netscape pref file to get it to work with Pegasus MAPI:

user_pref("mail.altmail_dll", "navmapi32.dll");
user_pref("mail.use_altmail", true);

The netscape supplied navmapi32.dll had to be in the system directory. Thanks again for all your help.

Posted by: sven
Date: November 19, 2002 04:27PM

Jeff proabably didn't mean that you have to use Mozilla, only test with it. If it can be done with Mozilla 1.2b then it can also be donw with KM. If not, then it's not possible proabably in KM either. Since you're only Pegasus user you'd be great help testing it and if you get it working somehow we could add this to KM growing knowledgebase.

Date: November 19, 2002 04:41PM

Thanks sven, I know Jeff didn't mean that I had to use it smiling smiley My reluctance at installing Mozilla 1.2b is due to the fact the v0.4 of the Phoenix browser will not run on Win95 and it attributed that to bugs in the Mozilla code. Your point is well taken and when I free up a little time I will install Mozilla and see what happens. Maybe I'll step back to Mozilla 1.1 and test that first.

Date: November 19, 2002 06:04PM

Okay Jeff, sven and company:

I installed a custom installation of Moz 1.2b, just the browser. The good news is that Moz 1.2b will run on a Win95a machine. Phoenox 0.4 will not (I tried) and they state this on the mozilla.org page that Phoenox 0.4 won't run on Win95. They said its because of the Mozilla code, hmmm. I can say Mozilla 1.2b runs on Win95.
The bad news, no mailto links will open up Pegasus. I don't know what it is with this Win95 box. I guess I'll just leave it as it is. The old Netscape 4.08 MAPI/Pegasus MAPI works and the Opera browser works. I guess I should be happy about that. K-Meleon is so much faster than Netscape 4.08 with about the same footprint. I can always copy the mailto urls and then run Pegasus manually. Have to think about what I want to do with this machine. I don't really want to upgrade it.

My other 2 machines (WinME) I'm running IE 5.5 SP2 and Mozilla 1.1 on one of them and IE 5.5 and Netscape 4.76 on the other so I'm pretty much covered. I like the look and speed of K-M so I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Thanks everyone.

Posted by: Al.
Date: November 19, 2002 08:23PM

From recollection, there is an add-on (if you want to call it that) for Pegasus Mail called WsendTo, which when run will set up Pegasus as the default mail program for Windows, and will intercept mailto: calls from your browser (I know it does work with IE at least).

Download WsendTo Utility from here, and give it a go:
http://www.pmail.com/downloads_risc_t.htm

Date: November 19, 2002 08:57PM

Thanks, that came with Pegasus and is what is used in the registry for mailto links. ex: <path>\wsendto.exe %1

Date: November 20, 2002 11:32AM

Jeff, about the mapi files in the zip file. Is there more to do other than just put them in the components directory? It would seem that just because the files are there wouldn't be enough, that they need to be invoked somehow.

This old standalone Netscape 4.08 invokes MAPI by:

Would I not need something similar for K-M?

Date: November 20, 2002 04:53PM

Don,

The mapi files in the zip were just a shot in the dark, if pegasus isn't working with mozilla, which already has those files, then adding them to kmeleon won't fix anything.

I spent some time trying to figure this out on a Win95 test box, and I can't get it to work either. It looks like mozilla opens the HKCR\mailto key, but doesn't read any of the values from it. I'd recommend submitting a mozilla bug report regarding this.

-- Jeff

Date: November 20, 2002 05:01PM

Thanks for trying smiling smiley I will submit a bug report.

Re: Netscape pref file
Posted by: Jim
Date: November 20, 2002 08:47PM

Pardon me for going off on a side track, but I put

into my Netscape Navigator 4.08 pref file, and when I try "Send Page" it does open up a new e-mail in Outlook Express, but only in text mode. I'd like to be able to send in HTML mode.

Is this normal? Or is it because I'm using Outlook? (Which I'm only using because I'm experimenting on my work computer before I try it on my home computer, where I'll use neither Outlook or Outlook Express.)

Again, please forgive me for going off track for a moment.

Re: Re: the above
Date: November 20, 2002 08:48PM

Sorry. I meant to say it opens up a new email in Outlook, not Outlook Express.

Date: November 20, 2002 09:09PM

I don't use Outlook or OE but does it have a setting for e-mail types such as plain text, html, etc.? If so, you need to set send mail to 'html'.

Date: November 20, 2002 09:51PM

Thanks. I tried that and it doesn't make any difference. I'll try it with a different program at home.

Unfortunately, I'm locked out of a few things here at work.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: November 22, 2002 01:36AM

Don,

They posted a bug fix in another section:

Edit/Preferences/Plugins/Macro Extension Plugin (Click on Configure and cut and paste into the macro file.

emaillink {
menu=Email &Link
open("javascript:{var subject=document.title;var body=location.href;self.location='mailto:user@user.com?subject='+subject+'&body='+body;}");
}

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.