Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
Making K-Meleon the default browser after installation
Posted by: asmpgmr
Date: January 17, 2003 08:58PM

There should be a utility included that would make K-Meleon the default browser after it has be installed. This shouldn't be part of K-Meleon.exe to keep it's size down. This utility (or perhaps an .inf file ?) should make K-Meleon the default browser for types .htm, .html, and .shtml and protocols http, https, and ftp. It should also remove DDE (ddeexec keys) from the 3 protocols since that is what causes the two browser windows to open from email clients. I made K-Meleon the default browser with a .reg file but my file will only work if K-Meleon is installed in the default location (C:\Program Files\K-Meleon), it would have to be changed manually for another installation directory.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Making K-Meleon the default browser after installation
Posted by: Arual the Wyrd
Date: January 20, 2003 01:28AM

There is that little SetBrowser proggy (it's mentioned somewhere else in forums, with link, I think). But I was thinking this morning, while reinstalling K-M after installing Icky Expletive just to get the system files so K-M would run in this Win95 486, that it would be cool if one could just check an "Asspciate with..." box.
I'd have used SetBrowser, but I get tired of flipping floppies ;-)

Posted by: MonkeeSage
Date: January 20, 2003 03:16AM

SetBrowser does fine for setting K-Meleon to the default browser, unfortunately it leaves ddeexec keys in the registry, which happen to be pointing every which way (some to Opera, some to IE, some to whatever your default browser was three years ago and you forgot about)...I didn't even realize this untill I read on the forums here about it--but I always wondered why K-Meleon would open 2 pages sometimes, like when you clicked on a file from disk. It was because of the registry keys goofing things up. I ran regedit, searching for ddeexec, and ignoring every instance except the ones under URL, HTTP, HTTPS, FTP and deleting those. Worked perfectly after that. It would be nice to have a program to set the default browser as well as clean out any ddeexec keys in the relevant registry branches.

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Posted by: asmpgmr
Date: January 20, 2003 03:27AM

Making K-Meleon the default browser and removing the ddeexec keys can be done with a .reg file (that's what I did) but there's no way to make it generic for distribution since you have to specify the exact path to k-meleon.exe in several places and .reg files use the backslash as an escape character meaning you have double backslashes in the path and a backslash before any quotes in the shell\open\command keys.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.