Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
Default cursor placement??
Posted by: istari
Date: February 11, 2003 06:52PM

I've had a (quick) scan of the docs and forums, but can't seem to find the answer to this question:

Is there anyway of setting the browser to place the cursor in the first text input field on a page?

So for example, when Google's home page loads. the cursor is already in the input field so I can start typing without having to place the cursor focus in the field.

This is the default behaviour in IE (apologies in advance) but is quite nifty.

Any ideas?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Default cursor placement??
Posted by: Mark Lodato
Date: February 11, 2003 07:47PM

I was wondering the same thing. You definately don't want this by default, though, because that would remove type-ahead find. The only page I want this for is google start page or the start pages of other search engines. I don't know if it's part of the HTML or not.

Posted by: MaxAuthority
Date: February 11, 2003 11:06PM

that's right (type a head find - and also arrow down/up keyboard navigation)

But on "Tab" it should jump to the first field instead the second. But Tab->Shift+Tab is acceptable I think, since it will rather be a gecko thing and therefore hard to change.

Posted by: istari
Date: February 13, 2003 01:53AM

True, true but I don't use type-ahead find. (You really find it that useful?) If I need to find anything I'm so used to using Ctrl-F after all these years that it seems unecessary (imho).

Mind you, if Ctrl-F started type-ahead-find (instead of "/") then that could be nifty, never use the Find dialog box for anything other than typing in the text (as opposed to using "Match case" or "Wrap around").

Hmm, could that be done with a Macro and/or a little menu editing? Could a macro set the cursor in the first input field? (I'm still learning about those features).

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.