Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Bookmarks File Erase Problem 1.6a4
Posted by: siria
Date: May 22, 2010 10:45PM

YIKES :O :O :O
Thankgod I don't use bookmarks, and Favorites work fine or I'd have been lost *sweating* Just hurried to back them up now...
But that would be a real killer bug :O Perhaps some of the people were actually right, who missed their bookmarks??

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jsnj
Date: May 22, 2010 11:28PM

siria
YIKES :O :O :O
Thankgod I don't use bookmarks, and Favorites work fine or I'd have been lost *sweating* Just hurried to back them up now...
But that would be a real killer bug :O Perhaps some of the people were actually right, who missed their bookmarks??

Not as dire as it may seem since a backup copy of the referenced file is automatically created in the same folder, but it's still a major bug assuming that it can be reproduced and it's not something on my end.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2010 11:30PM by jsnj.

Re: Bookmarks File Erase Problem 1.6a4 (Solved)
Posted by: jsnj
Date: May 23, 2010 05:17PM

Problem solved. Was a non-readable bookmarks file created by saving an existing bookmarks file opened within the browser.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2010 05:18PM by jsnj.

Posted by: cheapnfl
Date: May 28, 2010 02:42AM

Hello, this is great article. I have blog and I thanks to say you thanks. Regards!

Re: K-Meleon 1.6a4
Posted by: AirSpirit
Date: May 30, 2010 04:30PM

Hello!
I think there is an issue with blocking javascript in k-mel 1.6a4
If you go to http://lyrics.wikia.com/ and open any lyrics, selection and context menu will be disabled. However if you then select tools->privacy->block javascript they must be re-enabled again (because there is no other way to block this browser-controlled features I think), but they don't.
I can still copy the text by some tricks, but I wonder why I can't enable selecting and right-click context menu in the browser I control grinning smiley
Unfortunately, I have no older versions to tell is this a degradation or the older versions are unable to completely block annoying javascript too.

-------added-------------

The little investigation showed that this site uses -moz-user-select: none; CSS rule. Is there an option like "block CSS" to remove CSS from currently opened pages and prevent using it when loading new pages/reloading? If no, will it be implemented?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2010 04:40PM by AirSpirit.

Date: May 30, 2010 04:49PM

The CSS block exists, it's called "Colors" in the privacy menu. Yeah, perhaps not the best wording ;-)

But I just went to that site with KM16a4.
Javascript off. User agent default (K-Meleon).
Clicked some lyrics link.
There were no lyrics, just a warning box:

You must enable javascript to view this page. This is a requirement of our licensing agreement with music Gracenote.

So the webmasters intentionally use some tricks with javascript.
Blocking CSS doesnt seem to make much of a difference, lyrics wise...

Well, I switched javascript ON, and reloaded. Lyrics were there.
Selection works fine... Context Menu perfectly normal... :cool:

Boah, you looked into their source code? X pages only full with all sorts of scripts and ads :O

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2010 04:59PM by siria.

Date: May 30, 2010 05:27PM

siria
Selection works fine... Context Menu perfectly normal...
I can select text while the page begin loading, but after the short time it becomes unselectable and has no menu.
I tried "block page colors", block javascript after loading text but no difference.
May be you're using some macros or plugin affecting?
Hmm...
If I press F7 key while the text still avaliable to select it remains avalible after full loading (obviously because locking javascript is interrupted).
But I still don't know why it cannot be blocked after full page load?
I recently reinstalled my system and there're unlikely to be my system's issues. JRE 6u20

Posted by: desga2
Date: May 30, 2010 05:56PM

You only have to do click in "Edit this page" on top of page.
* Edit this page * History * Follow * Share * Article * Discussion

In Wiki editor you can select and copy the text.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: May 31, 2010 01:49PM

desga2,
As I said before, I can copy the text (by pressing Ctrl+A or F7 while loading and yes, by editing the page), but the point is why the javascript blockings remain after I disable javascript (after full page load). On imdb.com, for example, right-click menu is also disabled when you watch the photos, but disabling javascript at any moment will bring it back.
I want to understand why disabling javascript method isn't working in that lyrics site and is it possible to make it work somehow, because preventing me from using my browser's features is quite bothering. If this site can do such a thing, the others can do it as well, and there may be no ways to bypass their restrictions.

Date: May 31, 2010 04:45PM

I'm no expert at all, but think that it depends mostly from the state at the moment of LOADING a page. It often seems to me that once a page is loaded, it stays as it is. For blocked images for example it's quite clear, they aren't going to load automatically afterwards if at the moment of first page load they were blocked. That needs reloading. And they aren't going to vanish afterwards if at the moment of loading they were allowed.
Now of course I know scripts work a bit differently, but still they will not be there if at the moment of LOADING the page they were blocked. That is, some js stuff requires extra scripts, those won't work without reloading at all, and some other js stuff is so basic, that it works immediately when unblocking js. Seeing how full with scripts the source of that site is, they sure did their best to work around browsers.

By the way, regarding my settings, take a look at F2>javascript. There's a checkbox to forbid scripts to disable context menus... Perhaps that's already the whole trick??
And otherwise I have all sorts of stuff blocked of course: COOKIES (except a few exceptions), java, javascript, embedded objects, flash, DOM-Storage, REFERER, etc. My user agent is DEFAULT.
Perhaps if you follow exactly the steps I took there too, first load without js, click a lyrics link, and only if that's loaded switch js on and reload? No idea, just tapping in the dark too ;-)

Date: June 01, 2010 12:25PM

If you try to load the page without Javascript page show an message to indicate to you that web page need JavaScript to load.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: June 01, 2010 08:44PM

I hate Vista GRRR :mad:
Just had a longer struggle again, just to figure out in the end that in KM154RC tabs at the bottom are crashing the browser at startup - but only IF the kmeleon.tabs.minWidth is set to LESS than 8px, and the system is VISTA (pro32). Funnily, when I started instead the kmeleonW9x.exe, it worked perfectly fine in crazy Vista too, with 7px width!!
Of course I wanted to check now too with KM16a4, but Vista tells some crap about side-by-side errors and refuses to start the browser *sigh* Yes, I haven't installed yet that redist thing, but in Win98 it runs fine just with the dlls copied into the KM folder, and for now I'll stop, enough struggling for today :mad:

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2010 08:47PM by siria.

Date: June 12, 2010 01:31PM

siria
Why do you talk about the outdated monstrous shit called "Vista"? MS released Windows 7 over a half a year ago, and it's better than XP and way much better than Vista.
We should forget Vista as a bad dream.

Date: June 12, 2010 02:07PM

Well, not quite easy to forget, because: What shall I do with my crappy 2y old Vista Notebook, that has cost good money but isn't usable for anything real except video conversions?? tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: slayer
Date: June 13, 2010 12:23AM

Aren't the Windows 7 requirements lower than Vista? I mean, I have read that seven could run on older machines.

What happened with Win98, siria?

Date: June 13, 2010 05:45AM

Win98 does what it always did: It's working fine grinning smiley Still my main machine, but the hardware is getting older and older and can break down every day :-(
But thats not interesting anyone and guess we should get back on topic KM in this thread ;-)

Posted by: Yogi
Date: June 13, 2010 07:36AM

siria
Well, not quite easy to forget, because: What shall I do with my crappy 2y old Vista Notebook,

Formatting? tongue sticking out smiley

Date: June 18, 2010 09:52AM

Ha ha tongue sticking out smiley grinning smiley

InjectJS now return the result of the script (when applicable)

How?? I mean, which macro syntax? Have tried some experimenting, but know nearly nothing about JS, so no luck this way ;-) For example for getting some variable returned for further use in a macro.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2010 09:54AM by siria.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: June 18, 2010 10:14AM

siria

InjectJS now return the result of the script (when applicable)

How?? I mean, which macro syntax? Have tried some experimenting, but know nearly nothing about JS, so no luck this way ;-) For example for getting some variable returned for further use in a macro.

In e-mail with desga2, he thinks it might be thus.

$_Result = InjectJS(<JavaScript> [, location]);

We are not sure if included yet in the alpha code. I have gotten a book on Javascript, but I have no idea how long it will take me to learn enough to actually test the concept.

Another big question is whether the statement is modal. In other words can I inject a form object and wait for user response. I am afrad that is too much to hope for.

For those who understand C++, here is the code for the new version.

973  Value injectJS(FunctionData* data)
  974  {
  975   checkArgs(__FUNCTION__, data, 1, 2);
  977   int bTopWindow;
  979   if (strcmp(data->getstr(2), "frame")==0)
  980    bTopWindow = 0;
  981   else if (strcmp(data->getstr(2), "alltabs")==0)
  982    bTopWindow = 2;
  983   else
  984    bTopWindow = 1;
  986   char result[256];
  987   kPlugin.kFuncs->InjectJS2(data->getstr(1), bTopWindow, result, 256, data->c.hWnd);
  988   return result;
  989  }

Date: June 19, 2010 11:38PM

Whow... Just noticed that in KM16a4 toggling the AdBlock (which I have on a privbar button) works instantly, without any reloading! Must admit I'm 'abusing' it for making some banners in other forums a bit smaller, so it really jumps at the eye. It takes 1-2 seconds, perhaps it automatically reloads from RAM, but the loading-icon never appears, no flicker.

By the way my "side-by-side errors" in Vista are cured, as expected, after doing a "regular install" of the VS2005 library. What bugs me a bit is just that this probably hinders to start KM portable from a usb stick on a public computer with vista (and 7 most likely) :-/

Thanks James for trying... smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2010 11:41PM by siria.

Date: July 24, 2010 09:27AM

Anything wrong with the downloads at sourceforge...?
Since 2 days the KM downloads have dropped from some 3.000 per day to zero, strange...
http://sourceforge.net/project/stats/detail.php?group_id=14285&ugn=kmeleon&mode=week&&type=prdownload

Posted by: Matt
Date: July 24, 2010 09:57AM

Siria, the downloads from sf are ok, there is some usual ;-) stats delay. The new interface works fine, though. 2296 downloads yesterday, today 607 so far.

Date: August 25, 2010 05:57PM

Thanks for the new link, that's really cool, it even shows the countries :-)

BUGFIX request for KM1.6 (incl. workaround) :cool:
Bug: Missing images without height/width-tags vanish completeley, if the browser is set to show "placeholders". For example in most forums, like here too, and those are 'important' pictures IMO, not just some decorations to please the eye.

A great test page for missing-image-display:
http://lab.gmtplusone.com/image-placeholder/

Okay, that's an age old Gecko bug, but lots of users (incl. me) have real probs with it! While developers everywhere tend to decline it, claiming it were a "feature". Still: It's not decided by the alt-text, whether the broken image shows a hint of its existence or not, and the placeholder setting isn't contained in the standards anyway, if I got this right, so that argument doesn't count. What probably the big majority of users simply want is a hint that at an empty spot there once was an image, regardless of code tags, and regardless what those crazy html gods decide!

For KM1.6 (=gecko 1.9.x) the workaround is absolutely easy: Some internal css sheet or simply the users own userContent.css in the profile folder needs those lines added:

img:-moz-broken:not([width]),
img:-moz-user-disabled:not([width]) {
width: 22px !important;
height: 24px !important;
}

Yeah, users can easily add those lines themselves, but how many have a clue??
PLEASE add it to the default userContent.css, or some other way where it's already included by default.
This does NOT affect the "standards" way for showing broken images, that idiotic law to show no boxes, only an alt text, without any special styling, looking like just some normal text. If the user is keeping that default setting the above addition will not change anything for him, the dimensions only kick in when he switches to the non-standard "placeholder"-setting!

I also have a missing-images-macro nearly finished for KM1.5.x, which works great already, just as usual am getting driven away again with lots of options and gimmicks *blush* Main problem was having hardly any clue about js and css, but after a year of struggling finally got it working fine now. Just hope to finish it soon, at least before KM1.6 is officially released, LOL!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2010 06:10PM by siria.

Date: August 25, 2010 07:21PM

@ siria:
You suggestion is this code:
img:-moz-broken:not([width]),
img:-moz-user-disabled:not([width]) {
width: 22px !important;
}

But in the link that you provide us for documentation, he use this code:
img:-moz-broken,
img:-moz-user-disabled {
    -moz-force-broken-image-icon: 1;
}

I think that the good code could be like this:
img:-moz-broken:not([width]),img:-moz-broken:not([height]),
img:-moz-user-disabled:not([width]),img:-moz-user-disabled:not([height]) {
width: 24px !important;
}
img:-moz-broken,
img:-moz-user-disabled {
    -moz-force-broken-image-icon: 1;
}

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2010 07:28PM by desga2.

Date: August 25, 2010 07:35PM

No desga, trust me here and just test my code ;-)
The link is only for testing, not for instructions.
The point is that (unlike that page) we do not want to FORCE the placeholder boxes on the users, they must still have free choice whether they want that standards-alt-text-thing OR boxes. And the blue code above only kicks in if a user has switched the default mode to boxes.

My only point here is, if a user HAS chosen the boxes as his standard, he shall be able to also see the zero-images, those that actually have always gotten a box too - just unfortunately 0x0 px, so a bit too tiny to see :cool:
For testing it's possible (while NOT resizing those images), to just put a border around them, and the border will show around a 0x0 dot...
Oh and by the way, that is how things work in "quirks mode pages" by default, the right half of the test images there! Only on "standards mode pages" someone has forgotten the zero-image fix.

About the height, I'm omitting that just to shorten the code for browser speed reasons, assuming that an image that has a width also has a height ;-)
And the width is only 22px, because the broken-image.gif is not quadratic either. Way back when I used to surf with IE5, it had on all sides the same margins around the broken image icon, and I've always been slightly irritated that in gecko the right margin is different from the other 3 sides.

Just for clarification, those missing-image settings are a science in itself, and I struggled a hundred hours in the past year with trying to cure that stupid broken image stuff. Also took a while to figure out that the "placeholder" checkbox doesn't toggle the "placeholder" pref! That's probably some confusion from developers, regardless what they explain in the jar-code.
Actually the about:config-pref for "placeholders" (=box) is toggled by the setting for "ICONS for missing images", and this only decides whether or not there will show the broken-image.gif inside the placeholder BOX, not if the box itself will be there or not.
And all what the pref-tab's checkbox for "block-like placeholders" actually does, is to add or remove this line to the usercontents.css:

img { -moz-force-broken-image-icon: 1 !important; }

Meanwhile I know that this setting is valid for *all* images on a page, not only the broken ones, so no need to restrict it to them. It only has an effect anyway if an image is broken. It does NOT say "Force a broken-icon for this image, no matter the size". It says: "IF this image breaks, then show a little empty image frame, the "placeholder", in the size that is given in the img tag". Bad luck if the (not) given size is zero, except on quirks-mode-pages.

Anyway, only if this setting/line is added by the user (because he checked in the prefs "BLOCK-like PLACEHOLDERS in standards mode"), the size-check from my blue code will have any effect at all.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2010 09:52PM by siria.

Date: August 26, 2010 12:01AM

OK, but you are wrong, tongue sticking out smiley
The size of \K-Meleon\res\broken-image.gif icon for broken images isn't 22x24 px.
In K-Meleon 1.5.x and oldest is 14x16 px.
In K-Meleon 1.6 is 16x16 px.

Then the final code to add in \K-Meleon1.6a4_cp3\defaults\profile\chrome\userContent.css is like this:
/* Code to show an icon or alt text when a broken image is found without size */
img:-moz-broken:not([width]),img:-moz-broken:not([height]),
img:-moz-user-disabled:not([width]),img:-moz-user-disabled:not([height]) {
width: 16px !important;
height: 16px !important;
}

Is it correct now?

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2010 12:05AM by desga2.

Date: August 26, 2010 08:48AM

Partly :cool:
You haven't tried it yet, or you wouldn't post the 16px in the CSS grinning smiley That is only the size of the "icon" gif, not the size of the "placeholder frame", which always puts a 4px margin on the left and top sides. So it would look half cropped if the frame only gets 16x16 too.
I was planning to make screenshots when my other macro is finished, but at the moment not enough time. May try later in the evening...
And that code has nothing to do with the alt text, that's important. The code has no influence at all as long as a user has still that native KM setting, only kicks in when he manually has switched to "placeholders".

But you're right that the icon is now quadratic in KM1.6! Okay, so make the placeholder frame 24x24px grinning smiley
(Sidenote: Horribly ugly that icon is... I've come across a forum somewhere where someone asked how to disable it because that shark teeth look so horrible, and must fully agree. Am thinking about a little poll in another thread whether people like it better than the old one or if the majority hates it grinning smiley)

By the way that css works just as well from the adblock-sheet! So if it's just for testing and you don't have the time to restart for each test, just add it to adblock.css and toggle that one on/off, to update it with the changes (Perhaps some day there'll also be a way to import/update the usercontent.css without needing to restart the browser ;-)

There's another nice broken-images test page, it only doesnt have those 2 versions in modern+quirks mode:
https://bug58646.bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=72516

And of course the forum pages here are great for testing too, if the images are simply blocked. Doesn't seem to make much of a difference, but have tested this only in KM154 so far ;-)

------

Hmm, just noticed in the readme.html page (default home page for KM), that there's a link to the "manual (work in progress)". But it's so badly outdated, and talks about layers and ancient macros.cfg, I wonder if it should be removed or reworded somehow....

Date: August 26, 2010 08:45PM

Grmpf...! Man that stuff is and remains complicated!! Must admit I struggled and tested that image stuff nearly all the time only in KM154, with various css and macros and js and whatever... But obviously a bit too little with KM16 sad smiley The invisible images showed up there too, thanks to that new gecko class, then I didn't digg any deeper, but somehow those two versions seem to react rather different!! For example in KM15 the alt-text, if it's displayed, is selectable like normal text. In KM16 it turns into something melted, selectable only complete or not at all, like an image...
Errr... okay, it's too early to include it by default tongue sticking out smiley Sorry! The code could perhaps be included to the inactive examples in the styles, but not active by default - not yet... Not as long as the display gets changed in default mode :-(

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2010 09:14PM by siria.

Date: August 26, 2010 10:47PM

Okay, got it sorted out, just unfortunately not the "default" stuff sad smiley
Only my personal preferences for missing-image-display, so that they show in KM16 just like in my macro for KM154. Thanks to that new "broken" class this takes in KM16 merely a few lines of CSS, a hundred times shorter than for KM154!!

If anyone wants to try, look here:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?9,109967

I'm afraid that's unfortunately a tad too long to include it as an example in the userContent.css, and just really no idea if and how such a thing could be included as perhaps a pref option or such, or if that would be wanted from the devs at all. Anyway, seems to work fine now... smiling smiley smiling smiley If not, let me know please! ;-)

Posted by: SoerenB
Date: August 30, 2010 04:07PM

Hi, all,

desga2 is right (see next posting) - so I moved this 1.7alpha content here.

Cheers
SoerenB

Back again ...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2010 07:43PM by SoerenB.

Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.