K-Meleon 1.6a4
Posted by: Dorian
Date: May 09, 2010 03:06PM

New build. It fixes the high cpu usage of previous 1.6 build.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/kmeleon/files/k-meleon-dev/

There is also a ... 1.7 version, with gecko 1.9.2
No typeahead for this one, since it changed. It uses js now, and I don't know how to make it works. I warn you, I only tested it for 5 mins or so.

EDIT: Oops, phoenity skin is missing again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2010 03:09PM by Dorian.

Re: K-Meleon 1.6a4
Posted by: Dorian
Date: May 09, 2010 07:28PM

For translators, there are several new string inside kmeleon.exe using ID from 62262 to 62265

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2010 07:31PM by Dorian.

Posted by: siria
Date: May 09, 2010 07:43PM

YES, a new version! Thanks!! grinning smiley grinning smiley
1.7 :O Uhm, guess I'm already happy with trying the new 1.6a4 for now ;-)

Posted by: JamesD
Date: May 09, 2010 10:42PM

WOW! Wonderful. New toys to play with. Thanks ever so much.

Date: May 10, 2010 02:35PM

Version 1.6.0a4 dropped on top of 1.6.0a3 worked just fine. Does not appear to have fixed the preference panel yet.

Version 1.7.0a in a new folder causes an error when exiting. Tried both the x at top right and FILE - EXIT K-MELEON. Ops sys is XP-SP3

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2010 09:31PM by JamesD.

Posted by: tblu
Date: May 10, 2010 09:02PM

Trying version 1.7.0 on a new folder and windows 7 and it hasn't crashed yet. Only the preference menu opens messed up (the browsing options), but it is still usable in all other parts.

Posted by: slayer
Date: May 11, 2010 12:04AM

K-Meleon 1.6a4
I want to use my bookmarks.html file, I don't remember how to do it, I have added the profile.ini file to the main directory, and then copied my bookmarks.html file inside of the Profiles\blahblah.default folder. Is that correct? because I can not see my bookmarks.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: May 11, 2010 04:08AM

slayer
K-Meleon 1.6a4
I want to use my bookmarks.html file, I don't remember how to do it, I have added the profile.ini file to the main directory, and then copied my bookmarks.html file inside of the Profiles\blahblah.default folder. Is that correct? because I can not see my bookmarks.

slayer
K-Meleon 1.6a4

Slayer,

I just copied over my bookmarks.html from my KM 1.5.4 version after deleting the default one. Worked just fine.

One thing I did notice, is that when I installed the 1.6a4 update, in Documents Settings, there was a complete KM 1.6.xxx profile. I copied that over to the c:\program files\k-meleon16 folder, created the profile.ini file (which was missing) in the main K-Meleon folder and everything worked just fine.

P.S. One thing... in my KM 1.5.4 folder inside Profiles, I renamed the random number default folder to "anything.slt" and then used that same exact name in the KM 1.6 folder.

C:\Program Files\K-Meleon1.6\Profiles\Anything.slt\

In the Profiles sub-folder is the profiles.ini file as follows:

==============

[Profile0]
Name=default
Path=anything.slt
IsRelative=1
Default=1
[General]
StartWithLastProfile=1

And that anything.slt name is what I renamed the random number sub-folder.

=============

N

Posted by: Alex.Tarantul
Date: May 11, 2010 02:58PM

@all
Colleagues! I report a bug. Windows XP Pro SP3, K-Meleon 1.7. When K-Meleon run, a window appears asking recovery last session. Under either option - Yes or No browser crashes. Thus, the browser does not start at all.

My blog about K-Meleon
http://kmeleon-ru.blogspot.com/

Re: 1.7???!!!
Posted by: caktus
Date: May 11, 2010 05:00PM

What happened to 1.6? Why the sudden change in mid motion? I am assuming it hasn't anything to do with speed since RamDisk makes everything fly like a bat out of pure hell, even on my cheap discount dialup connection. :O

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Date: May 11, 2010 05:18PM

I don't really know why the 1.7 but I suspect there are changes in the Gecko engine to which Dorian is trying to match. That is just a guess.

Posted by: slayer
Date: May 11, 2010 06:10PM

Ok, my mistake I created a profiles.ini file instead of the correct one:profile.ini

Date: May 11, 2010 07:37PM

caktus
What happened to 1.6? Why the sudden change in mid motion? I am assuming it hasn't anything to do with speed since RamDisk makes everything fly like a bat out of pure hell, even on my cheap discount dialup connection. :O

Charlie,

Gecko Engine evolution has continued. KM 1.6 early alpha uses Gecko 1.9.1 (I think?). KM 1.7 uses Gecko 1.9.2. I believe FireFox 3.6.3 uses Gecko 1.9.3, but am not sure.

N

Posted by: 4td8s
Date: May 12, 2010 01:10AM

ndebord

Charlie,

Gecko Engine evolution has continued. KM 1.6 early alpha uses Gecko 1.9.1 (I think?). KM 1.7 uses Gecko 1.9.2. I believe FireFox 3.6.3 uses Gecko 1.9.3, but am not sure.

no offense, ndebord, but Firefox 3.6.3 uses Gecko 1.9.2.3. if you had downloaded a copy of FF 3.6.3 and ran it on your computer, you should have known better. I have FF 3.6.3 installed on my Vista computer and checked the Gecko version myself.

The latest Mozilla Developer Preview 3.7 alphas use Gecko 1.9.3.x engine.
I know all this because I have MDP 3.7a4 installed on one of my XP computers.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2010 01:20AM by 4td8s.

Posted by: SoerenB
Date: May 12, 2010 03:01AM

[... if you had downloaded a copy of FF 3.6.3 and ran it on your computer, you should have known better

?

Irony?

Cheers
SoerenB

Back again ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2010 03:02AM by SoerenB.

6 is an unholy number
Posted by: disrupted
Date: May 12, 2010 06:24AM

SoerenB

[... if you had downloaded a copy of FF 3.6.3 and ran it on your computer, you should have known better

?

Irony?

grinning smiley

apart form engine update in 3.7, the major difference in 3.7 is that it will incorporate the new electrolysis concept in giving each tab its own process similar to google's chrome, which sounds like a good idea in properly written interfaces but with already memory leaky xul..this is simply playing with fire

mozilla claims(or trying to fool users like they always do) that electrolysis will be "fast, really fast!".. the truth is, with giving each tab a separate process with a memory leak that will never be fixed; it's a resources train wreck waiting to happen

Re: 6 is an unholy number
Posted by: chinarobin
Date: May 12, 2010 01:12PM

to disrupted

the news i saw is that 3.7(3.64) will give some plugin instead of each tab, especially flash plugin its own process, a little different from what you mentioned.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2010 01:13PM by chinarobin.

Posted by: disrupted
Date: May 12, 2010 02:07PM

it will run both tabs and plugins as different processes. the plugin bit shouldn't be an issue, the xul tabs will no doubt cause escalating memory usage..with many tabs and for a long duration this will inevitably bring the system to a standstill

i can run macosx through an emulator with far less leaks than running firefox "natively", giving a chrome tab a separate process without fixing their notorious memory leak first is plain stupid

i think mozilla should be honest with the minimum requirements for 3.7:
4 gb ram
dual processors
and don't dare use any other programs when firefox is running

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Electrolysis
http://mozillalinks.org/wp/2009/06/first-results-of-electrolysis-multi-process-firefox/

Posted by: caktus
Date: May 12, 2010 04:29PM

disrupted
4 gb ram
dual processors
and don't dare use any other programs when firefox is running

I guess Moz is giving up on trying to be everything to "everyone." I guess they now require that users be part of a particular social standing. LOL

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Date: May 12, 2010 06:25PM

4td8s
ndebord

Charlie,

no offense, ndebord, but Firefox 3.6.3 uses Gecko 1.9.2.3. if you had downloaded a copy of FF 3.6.3 and ran it on your computer, you should have known better. I have FF 3.6.3 installed on my Vista computer and checked the Gecko version myself.

The latest Mozilla Developer Preview 3.7 alphas use Gecko 1.9.3.x engine.
I know all this because I have MDP 3.7a4 installed on one of my XP computers.

None taken, which is why I said "believe" not know. <g> Don't use FF 3.6.3, still use FF 3.5.9.

N

Posted by: chinarobin
Date: May 13, 2010 02:34AM

i dont like multiple processes, either.

Re: KM 1.7.0a
Date: May 14, 2010 02:51PM

JamesD
Version 1.7.0a in a new folder causes an error when exiting. Tried both the x at top right and FILE - EXIT K-MELEON. Ops sys is XP-SP3

I have now tried 1.7 on my laptop and have the same problem. XP home is on the desktop and XP Pro is on the laptop.

I still get an error when I exit KM.

Posted by: JujuLand
Date: May 14, 2010 09:26PM

Same thing under Ubuntu

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Posted by: yavor
Date: May 15, 2010 12:53AM

Same thing under win7

Date: May 16, 2010 02:44AM

disrupted
it will run both tabs and plugins as different processes. the plugin bit shouldn't be an issue, the xul tabs will no doubt cause escalating memory usage..with many tabs and for a long duration this will inevitably bring the system to a standstill

i can run macosx through an emulator with far less leaks than running firefox "natively", giving a chrome tab a separate process without fixing their notorious memory leak first is plain stupid

4 gb ram
dual processors
and don't dare use any other programs when firefox is running./

Disrupted,

Mozilla seems to be going for more and more complexity, a model that MicroSoft followed with MS Office and Windows itself, which mandated that end users buy ever more powerful hardware just to run the OS and the Suite. As Mozilla is funded by Google (80%), I wonder if complexity that requires ever more powerful hardware is a communicable disease that Google (and by extension Mozilla) have caught from MicroSoft!

;-)

I have no money nor intention to move beyond my current T40 (Thinkpad) and its old processor unless I have to do large image files in RAW format and that would be one of those necessity things as I would really like to be able to handle pictures digitally that have the same quality as my old Canon F1 film camera and that 4x5 I borrow from my friend, every now and then.

N

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2010 02:46AM by ndebord.

Date: May 16, 2010 12:45PM

WHOA - just tried KM 17alpha1, and it's B-U-R-N-I-N-G my poor old lappy :O
Even out of-the-box, portable, 1 empty tab or KM forum: CPU 99%, that thing starts glowing, fan kicking in quickly ...
Well, that's win98se with 256RAM ;-)
Now I also took a closer look with process explorer at KM154, 16a3, 16a4, and those are all only around some 5% CPU (1 tab with forum open) smiling smiley smiling smiley

But who of those ingenious gecko-developers had the brilliant idea to mess with page titles, in KM16+ ?! Now if I change one, that thing doesn't allow more than 1 blank in a row, and none at the end, or it throws them out automatically, which is almost deadly for my new macro sad smiley Okay, I can work around that, but somewhow KM16 waits even shorter now with executing one macro command after the other. While in KM154 it's possible for a macro to change a title and right afterwards check if it's different than before, in KM16 it already shows the changed title in the title bar and still claims it were the same yet. More and more often I miss desperately a little wait-function in macro language, after searching and experimenting for whole days still mostly find no other workarounds than alert boxes that the user must click, kinda stupid, just to get a 0.1 sec pause until the previous macro line is fully executed :-(

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2010 01:48PM by siria.

Posted by: disrupted(unlogged)
Date: May 16, 2010 05:07PM

you will need the utils plugin to add delay between executing macro commands
pluginmsg(utils, "sleep", $timeout);

nde, at least ms are honest with their mimimum and recommended requirements and if you meet those, the software will run just fine.. mozilla's minimum requirements are a joke and they never say the proper requirements and hope users with new computers won't notice anyways but the truth is, something like firefox or songbird chokes the os with anything less than 1gb of ram and this is without any js heavy browsing or flash.. xul is an awful runtime, it's not like python or gtk.. it's almost like an emulator and a botched one too. i'dn't care less what crap they decide to cook up if kmeleon didn't rely on their engine but here's where the problem lies for km, even though immune from the xul ui endless bugs, many others non-ui specific will affect kmeleon.. more rubbish in the engine adds to the developing time by dorian and kko and instead of focusing on kmeleon features and ui, they have to 're-develop' the engine itself to make it kmeleon worthy

Date: May 16, 2010 05:37PM

I've tried that before, but somehow didn't get it working right :-(
Also tried some other workarounds via js and such, but all only stop ALL actions, incl. the previous one that's not yet finished. Of course I know only macrolanguage and am otherwise tapping in the dark, just picking up examples from the web and such and experimenting wildly. At the moment I think the non-plus-ultra would be a js command that can use timeout and then call / hand back over to a KM macro to continue :cool: Another macro prob I've been struggling endlessly with and still in vain is how to figure out where the mouse is hovering over, e.g. if it's really a link, or if that link only still has the dotted focus-line while the mouse is long since elsewhere :-/

Date: May 16, 2010 10:54PM

disrupted(unlogged)
you will need the utils plugin to add delay between executing macro commands
pluginmsg(utils, "sleep", $timeout);

nde, at least ms are honest with their mimimum and recommended requirements and if you meet those, the software will run just fine.. mozilla's minimum requirements are a joke and they never say the proper requirements and hope users with new computers won't notice anyways but the truth is, something like firefox or songbird chokes the os with anything less than 1gb of ram and this is without any js heavy browsing or flash.. xul is an awful runtime, it's not like python or gtk.. it's almost like an emulator and a botched one too. i'dn't care less what crap they decide to cook up if kmeleon didn't rely on their engine but here's where the problem lies for km, even though immune from the xul ui endless bugs, many others non-ui specific will affect kmeleon.. more rubbish in the engine adds to the developing time by dorian and kko and instead of focusing on kmeleon features and ui, they have to 're-develop' the engine itself to make it kmeleon worthy

Disrupted,

Almost makes me wish we could go back to, say, the "Phoenix" code and go on from there.

N

Bookmarks File Erase Problem 1.6a4
Posted by: jsnj
Date: May 22, 2010 08:58PM

Tried to use another bookmarks file by using the browse to file option in preferences. After locating & choosing it, the correct path appears, but after a restart it's not detected in the UI in the main menu under Bookmarks. It appears to be reading a blank file even though the correct path is in preferences. At this point, if no new bookmarks have been added to this mystery blank file that KM is reading, the file specified in preferences remains intact and can be verified by opening the file in KM. However, if any new bookmarks are added, the file specified in preferences is overwritten erasing the original. BTW, the file chosen is not being shared by any other browser. I don't know if this a reported bug that I'm unaware of.

Can anyone else verify or reproduce? I'm on WinXP SP3.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.