k- m 1.6a4 search engines
Posted by: jar
Date: May 20, 2010 04:02PM

Hello,

I am having this little problem with adding new search engines. In older versions of K- m I just added search strings in F2- finding website- web search (or search engines), but in this build I can not add anything. Down the page there is a notice that this feature requires macro. In K- meleon folder within macros there is search.kmm, but I am not sure if this is it.

There are three default engines in this build: google, wiki and bing and I´d like to add for instance youtube, so I do not have to type youtube and then my search. I would like to just right click the search engine button and choose not to use google, but search within youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=

I wrote too many words for this little problem. Sorry.
I appreciate any help.

Best regards,
jar

Re: k- m 1.6a4 search engines
Posted by: siria
Date: May 20, 2010 05:30PM

Guess that feature is not yet updated for the new version, but if you still have your profile of the old version, you should be able to just copy over the settings.
Look into your old profile folder and open "prefs.js" with a text editor.

There's a block with your previous search engines, all with such prefs:

kmeleon.plugins.macros.search.engine1.url
kmeleon.plugins.macros.search.engine2.url
etc.

You can copy that whole block over to your current profiles' prefs.js, if the browser is closed. After a new start the engines should show up...

But those settings, like most others, can just as well be added manually in "about:config"! Go there, type in the filter line "search", and there you are. By right-clicking an entry one can change it, add new ones, or delete old ones (=reset)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2010 05:31PM by siria.

Date: May 20, 2010 06:00PM

Thank you, Siria.

Date: May 20, 2010 06:22PM

You know I was just wondering why I couldn´t change it in a usual way. For a moment I didn´t realize it wasn´t final release of K- m (because it seems to me it could be- no problem yet). I copied old prefs.js and it is OK now.

Thank you,
Best regards,
jar

Date: May 20, 2010 07:04PM

Great! smiling smiley

And you're lucky if that was the first glitch, there's quite some stuff to finish yet ;-)
(KM1.6 info page: http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/KMeleon16)

Date: May 20, 2010 07:18PM

OK, I do not do anything special with the browser. Just use it for the internet haha. My main browser is still K- m 1.5.4, so no problem if there would be a problem with this alpha version. I was just curious about new version, so I tried...

Posted by: jmillar
Date: May 21, 2010 11:19PM

How many search engines would the alpha 1.6 be capable of handling adding them by hand in the way described? I also think that for an Alpha version it is a VERY, VERY REFINED build. I use it for most tasks since a3.

Date: May 22, 2010 07:06AM

If I look into the macro search.kmm, the numbering is handled as usual, same way as useragents list etc: A while-loop that has no limit, it just stops at the first empty entry. Which also means, there must be no 'holes' in the numbering or it stops there ;-)

Posted by: liufang898186
Date: June 05, 2010 02:54AM

May be your version is too old

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.