Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
I cannot run K-Meleon 1.6
Posted by: chrismt
Date: June 15, 2010 03:01PM

It seems I cannot run and test 1.6

I extracted it to a folder and when I click K-Meleon 1.6, it fails to start and I get an error that " This application is not properly installed. Reinstall it"

I am on Windows XP SP3

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I cannot run K-Meleon 1.6
Posted by: JamesD
Date: June 15, 2010 09:18PM

@ chrismt

Did you unpack the 7z file?

The alpha software did not include an installer. This is how I set up the test for an alpha version.

1. Create a folder in Program Files and give it a name like "K-Meleon_16".
2. Right click on the 7z file that you downloaded. Choose the 7-Zip option.
3. Select "Extract the files..." and extract to the folder you created in step 1.
4. Go the folder which now has K-Meleon program files. Create an empty file using Notepad. Save the file with the name "Profile.ini. Make sure to select "all files" so that Notepad does not add an extention of "txt".
5. Click on the file "k-meleon.exe" to start the program. The empty "Profile.ini" file will keep the profile with the program so you need write authority to Program files folder. If you wish the profile to be in the "Documents and Settings" area then skip step 4.

Posted by: leveck
Date: June 16, 2010 07:45PM

You do have to download the software, "7z", for this to work.

Posted by: siria
Date: June 16, 2010 09:57PM

I wonder if it may be those missing dll's that need to be copied separately in win98, but that error sounds somehow different...
Guess it was the msvcm80.dll msvcp80.dll msvcr80.dll, at any rate from VS2005 link here:
http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/KMeleon16

Somehow I suspect it's some special XP security setting, perhaps due to folder location or perhaps XP insists in a setup if an app is not working portable, but know nearly nothing about it sorry :-/

Date: June 16, 2010 10:39PM

@ leveck

Good point. Yes, 7-zip is needed. Thanks.

@ chrismt

The 7-Zip software can be downloaded from http://www.7-zip.org/

@ siria

chrismt is on XP and that should have all the right DLL's. At least, I think so. I don't remember having to download any additional ones.

Date: June 17, 2010 04:13PM

Yes

I know that 7 zip is required

But your steps are not working

Let me make my circumstances clear,

Recently I did some security tweaking and used nlite to remove some services and tweak the XP with some apps and disabled some services

I just think this might be the problem

I am typing this from K-Meleon latest stable

Date: June 17, 2010 04:51PM

Now you have me scratching my head. You are using KM 1.5.4 on the same computer for posting to the forum? I think if 1.5.4 runs then 1.6 should also.

Are you trying alpha 3 or alpha 4 of KM 1.6.0?
K-Meleon1.6.0a3.7z should contain 6.32 MB (6,628,828 bytes)
K-Meleon1.6a4.7z should contain 6.58 MB (6,908,182 bytes)

Have you set up a shortcut to start KM or are you clicking on the executible to start KM?

Date: June 17, 2010 06:23PM

REMOVED

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2010 10:19AM by chrismt.

Date: June 17, 2010 07:13PM

Not sure, but I'd really try with the "VS2005 redistributable" from the KM16 page. The link leads directly to Microsoft, which has this description:

The Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86) installs runtime components of Visual C++ Libraries required to run applications developed with Visual C++ on a computer that does not have Visual C++ 2005 installed.

On my vista pc those 80ies dlls are definitely not installed by default. Just checked again, in the windows/system32 folder are only a few with 60 or 71...

If I remember correctly I didn't really "install" that either, just downloaded those dlls from some dll-archive and put them into the KM folder. Works nicely in Win98 and XP-SP3, just obviously not enough in Vista. Will have to try a "real" install there... tongue sticking out smiley

And perhaps add that empty "profile.ini" to the KM folder, as James suggested, I really wouldn't use a common profile for KM1.5 and KM1.6. Better copy over the contents of the 1.5 profile into the new 1.6 profile...

Date: June 17, 2010 08:46PM

I just looked into the 7-Zip files for 1.6.0a3 and 1.6.0a4. The two DLL files needed are included in a4 and not included in a3.

Suggest you download a4 version and try that.

Date: June 17, 2010 08:58PM

Ah, cool! Good idea grinning smiley
Just... why are only 2 included... IIRC it was exactly the missing 3rd one that cost me a very hard struggle in win98, because I kept thinking too that only 2 were needed. Until I finally ran Dependency Walker or how thats called and found to my surprise a 3rd one missing :O Downloaded it and suddenly starting worked :cool: But I might confuse things there, not absolutely sure anymore sorry...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2010 09:06PM by siria.

Date: June 18, 2010 10:20AM

Thanks guys

I installed The Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package

And

It worked

Thanks a lot

Date: June 18, 2010 11:10AM

Uff... Great! grinning smiley

Posted by: 4td8s
Date: June 22, 2010 03:40AM

chrismt

Recently I did some security tweaking and used nlite to remove some services and tweak the XP with some apps and disabled some services

I just think this might be the problem

I am typing this from K-Meleon latest stable

this is a bad idea using XP with nlite removing certain essential services.

I have a "normal" XP SP3 machine (no nlite software installed messing XP up) and KM 1.6a4 runs fine.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.