Re: K-Meleon 1.6.0 Beta Development
Posted by: JamesD
Date: November 22, 2011 09:52PM

I am working on a KM beta 2.3 and have it almost ready. I need one more piece of information. This beta will use a later Gecko engine. That data comes up right in the default string with the following information.

rv:1.9.1.20pre) Gecko K-Meleon/1.6.0

Should I edit the Firefox string to be correct for the engine? This what it will display if I do not change it.

rv:1.9.1.16) Gecko/20101130 Firefox/3.5.16

I do not know the date for the 1.9.1.20 engine. Anyone have that info?

This beta 2.3 will be a 7z file with all the updates/fixes that I have found in this thread. I have been using all these pieces for several months without any problem. This will just make easier for a user to get all the fixes in one place.

Hanlon’s razor is an eponymous adage named after Robert J. Hanlon that states: “Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

JamesD

Posted by: km2
Date: November 22, 2011 10:21PM

Hey James,

can you post a list of fixes?

Nice news..

Date: November 23, 2011 12:15AM

I am working on that documentation right now. Maybe in a couple of hours, but maybe more. This is the best night of the week for good TV shows in my area. What I have so far is just my task list.
Task List
For
K-Meleon 1.6.0 beta 2.3

Begin with the official KM 1.6.0 beta2 7zip file.  Extract to a test folder.
Use Syncback to update the test folder with the new Gecko engine. (1.9.1.20)
	Add spell checking 
Add the spelltest.dll file to the kplugins folder.
Add the spelltest.kmm file to the macros folder.
	Revised troubleshooting for spelling and bug fixes
Replace embed.jar file in chrome folder with updated file.
Replace troubleshooting.kmm with updated file.
	Add option for BuildID use and to use some Javascript items
 with capability policy pref.  Items like “Send page as a link” will
 now work if the default capability policy for Javascript is
 “NoAccess”.  Pages in a policy which denies Javascript still do not
 work.
Replace main.kmm with updated file.
	Add option to “Reset Zoom” for pages where the zooming was
 done with zoom.kmm.  Reset of zooming by mousewheel is still not
 possible.
Replace zoom.kmm with updated file.
	Small change made to initial page.
Edit the readme.html file to change beta2 to beta 2.3.
Verify that compreg.dat and xpti.dat do not exist in components.
Change the Firefox user agent string in I10n.js file ???
Change the Seamonkey user agent string in I10n.js file ???

Hanlon’s razor is an eponymous adage named after Robert J. Hanlon that states: “Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

JamesD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2011 12:43AM by JamesD.

Date: November 23, 2011 03:22AM

Since we don't yet have a beta 3, I have prepared a beta 2.3 of KM 1.6.0.
Find it here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1522294/K-Meleon1.6.0_Beta2dot3_en-US.7z

The last two items on my previous post remain undone. I don't have the information to make the changes.

Enjoy the new release, but please report any problems.

My previous post outlines the changes you can expect in moving from the beta 2 to the beta 2.3.

JamesD

Date: November 28, 2011 06:53PM

deadlock
Date: September 27, 2011 08:29AM

Fixed the hourglass on startup bug in 1.6b3/1.7b1.
1.6b2 users can stop it with gkwidget.dll from 'alpha 4'.

Can someone explain the hourglass on startup bug for me? The beta 2.3 has a gkwidget.dll from the update to the later engine. It has a size of 278,528 and a modified date of 6/24/11. I am trying to determine if the bug is fixed in beta 2.3.

JamesD

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: December 03, 2011 01:00AM

The bug, that is harmless (if not related to crashes, what I can't determine at all), is that, when you open K-meleon, and the mouse is over the window and don't move the mouse (very important), it shows the hourglass pointer as if K-meleon is busy. After move the mouse, the pointer goes to the normal arrow.

It happens 99% of times.

Date: December 03, 2011 01:22AM

Thanks JohnHell.

I have tried all my 1.6 versions and the bug is in all of them. That includes my 1.6a4 version. I don't see that using the gkwidget.dll file from there would make any difference.

Has anyone been successful in getting rid of the bug?

JamesD

Posted by: JujuLand
Date: December 03, 2011 07:39AM

Wouldn't it be due to Windows ?

It doesn't happen under Linux...

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Date: December 03, 2011 03:37PM

JamesD
I do not know the date for the 1.9.1.20 engine. Anyone have that info?

According to Google results, for 1.9.1.20pre, the consensus is 20110606, but depends a little on who builds confused smiley

Can I ask in this thread one thing? As I'm definitely switching to 1.6b2 (that is why I came here yesterday), before give a try to your more stable 1.6b2.3 release (at least is supposed (as I haven't run it yet) to work the accelerators "in time") I need to clear my doubts smiling smiley

Your 1.6b2.3 is:
1.6a4
+
1.6b2 chrome folder (or updated to the latest 1.9.1.20pre), as well as components folder
+
spellcheck update
+
prettyprint update (check this)
+
corrected necko.properties file inside embed.jar (check this)
(no, is not fixed, I checked now after download it I'm using Windows 2000 (I didn't reply it to desga in that thread), but I understand this depends on whatever, not you)
+
gklayout update for scrolling bug
+
some other fixes

Date: December 04, 2011 02:47PM

@ JohnHell

This is the method I used to make 2.4 release.

Release 2.3
Begin with the official KM 1.6.0 beta2 7zip file.  Extract to a test folder.
Use Syncback to update the test folder with the new Gecko engine. (1.9.1.20)
Add the spelltest.dll file to the kplugins folder.
Add the spelltest.kmm file to the macros folder.
Replace embed.jar file in chrome folder with updated file.
Replace troubleshooting.kmm with updated file.
Replace main.kmm with updated file.
Replace zoom.kmm with updated file.
Used 7Zip to create the new archive file. K-Meleon1.6.0_Beta2dot3_en-US.7z

Release 2.4
Remove spelltest.kmm file.
Replace privacy.dll file.
Edit accel.cfg file for spelltest code.
Edit menus.cft file for spelltest code.
Edit main.kmm file for spelltest code.
Used 7Zip to create the new archive file. K-Meleon1.6.0_Beta2dot4_en-US.7z

And this is the change log.

Beta 2.4

1) Re-compiled privacy.dll file has function 'ClearHistory' working
from all menu locations. No change to C++ code was needed. Guenter
did a new compile.
2) Spell checking is better integrated in the accelerators and menus.
No longer need spelltest.kmm file. We have the source code and that
code says it is in the public domain.

Beta 2.3

1) Includes spell checking and word suggestions
2) Revised troubleshooting for spelling and bug fixes
3) Add option for BuildID use and to use some Javascript items
with capability policy preferences. Items like “Send page as
a link” will now work if the default capability policy for
Javascript is “NoAccess”. Pages in a policy list which
denies Javascript still will not work.
4) Add option to “Reset Zoom” for pages where the zooming was
done with zoom.kmm. Reset of zooming by mousewheel is still
not possible.

My 2.4 was not built from scratch. It was build on top of 2.3 version.

I don't yet know anything about prettyprint or necko.properties. I will have to investigate as soon as I get some time. I am sure I'll be back to this thread to ask questions about them.

JamesD

Date: December 04, 2011 06:20PM

JamesD
I don't yet know anything about prettyprint or necko.properties. I will have to investigate as soon as I get some time. I am sure I'll be back to this thread to ask questions about them.
Prettyprint (for XML files) is working properly (so you included the fix smiling smiley)

And about necko.properties, it must be related to who compile it. Nothing to there but edit the file. The most annoying is the character that appears in the status bar (loading pages and other messages).

I have an OS that should support it, but... the problem persists.

But this problem is beyond any fix you or me can do. I found yesterday that in certificates is also appearing. Instead appear nothing, when a text is "behind" other column, appears the famous "blocky" character where the string is being cut :/ I don't know what can we do there. And edit every file with the wrong characters inside embed.jar, or others, is just crazy.

The "characters" in necko.properties … According to what desga said, they are 3 dots... I don't know why are they coded like that and why aren't shown on my system correctly.

Date: December 04, 2011 07:49PM

Oops, I am sorry. The KM 1.6.0 beta 2.3 and beta 2.4 were not correct.

The gecko engine was not updated. This has now been corrected and the corrected beta 2.4 is at: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1522294/K-Meleon1.6.0_Beta2dot4_en-US.7z

If you got a 2.4 prior to the time of this posting, yours is incorrect.

I am very sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.

I did not reload a 2.3 version as 2.4 has superseded it.

JamesD

Date: December 04, 2011 07:54PM

@ JohnHell

I am glad to hear that prettyprint is fixed.

Can you tell where to find some examples of the utf-8 character problem? I have win 7 so I think I must see things differently. You can change your embed.jar file. I can provide instructions if you wish.

JamesD

Date: December 04, 2011 08:09PM

JamesD
Can you tell where to find some examples of the utf-8 character problem? I have win 7 so I think I must see things differently. You can change your embed.jar file. I can provide instructions if you wish.

I don't need help for that, thank you smiling smiley

The character problem is in the file "embed.jar\locale\en-US\necko\necko.properties".

In that file there are the sentences used when a page is loading, or looking up, etc...

But don't bother with this, it's everywhere (text definitions in other files). I can't find why in my system aren't displayed the 3 dots "..." that they represent :-? I've done searches for this, but windows 2000 should not display blocks, as supports UTF-8 :-?.

With macro files, that are now in UTF-8, it doesn't happen.

If no one with windows 2000 here has this problem is mine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2011 08:10PM by JohnHell.

Posted by: Pathi
Date: December 25, 2011 12:18PM

Hi everyone!

Some time ago deadlock was working on Beta 3 and he managed to fix some bugs. It looks like he is no more invovled in this project. So I just want to ask if an upcoming Beta 3 will use updated chrome by deadlock?

Date: December 25, 2011 12:30PM

@ Pathi

I have not heard from deadlock recently. I think the changes he made to chrome and to main.kmm are included in my beta 2.4 version. You can get it here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1522294/K-Meleon1.6.0_Beta2dot4_en-US.7z

I think desga2 is working on a beta 3. I do not know the status of that work.

JamesD

Posted by: rodocop
Date: December 26, 2011 01:03AM

And what is this, folks:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/kmeleon/files/k-meleon-dev/1.6.0Beta/K-Meleon1.6.0_Beta3_en-US.7z/download

???

No file behind the link, but this is posted here:
http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/kmeleon16

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2011 01:05AM by rodocop.

Posted by: 4td8s
Date: December 26, 2011 09:25AM

I know, rodocop. KM1.6b3 is not yet available. I mentioned about it here.
And it's not even mentioned on the K-meleon downloads page.

Date: December 26, 2011 01:12PM

I see.

And what I really think is that we have to publish links to most recent 1.6-betas on download page.

And we have to point somewhere that 1.6beta is the recommended download else we would have neverending stream of "why I can't go to my Yahoo/Facebook/hotmail...?" etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2011 01:12PM by rodocop.

Posted by: 4td8s
Date: December 31, 2011 10:47PM

rodocop
I see.

And what I really think is that we have to publish links to most recent 1.6-betas on download page.

And we have to point somewhere that 1.6beta is the recommended download else we would have neverending stream of "why I can't go to my Yahoo/Facebook/hotmail...?" etc.

don't expect this to happen at all in year 2011. epic failure to launch KM 1.6b3 in 2011.
hopefully beta 3 should be ready sometime in year 2012.

Date: January 05, 2012 08:37PM

How to understand the beta3 is REALLY ready?

Beta - by definition - isn't 'ready' build. It's working tryout, which must be tested by everyday use.

I understand high self-requirements of KM-developers, but ordinary people, average users don't need 'fully-refined-absolute-bugs-free' build - they need just workability and usability - all, that KM-1.6-1.7 has and 1.5.x - not.

Why KM isn't popular? Not because of its 'non-perfectness'! But only due to its visible 'oldness' and unfriendlyness.

One of reasons is lack of news about updates even if they exist. Why Chrome publishes updates almost monthly and even FF migrates to fastroll release cycle? Only for one reason: this provides a lot of newsbrakes and - in consequence - that products had got top of mind - and popularity.

They aren't definitely better than KM - they are just more known to people.

Frequent updates of KM fresh build (even with minor changes) - the simplest way to popularize our browser...

Posted by: km2
Date: January 07, 2012 10:58AM

Frequent updates of KM fresh build (even with minor changes) - the simplest way to popularize our browser...

K-M driven by interest of the developer/developers only.

And there is no bank of team of developers at moment.

Posted by: twofish
Date: January 10, 2012 10:49AM

K-Meleon-1.7.26db+

dialog error after click link :

Could not initialize XPCOM, Perhaps the GRE is not installed or could not be found

Posted by: JujuLand
Date: January 10, 2012 11:21AM

It's a known problem with 1.7.0a2 under Linux or Seven

It works if you launch it from K-Meleon root folder.

Another way is to use a cmd file:

--------------------------------------------------------------
echo off
c:
cd "\Program Files\K-Meleon" << where is located K-Meleon
K-Meleon "%1"
--------------------------------------------------------------

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Posted by: gordon451
Date: February 17, 2012 12:43PM

JohnHell
I can't find why in my system aren't displayed the 3 dots "..." that they represent :-? I've done searches for this, but windows 2000 should not display blocks, as supports UTF-8 :-?.

Ummm... trying to understand what's being looked for. On most places I get the 3 dots -- dunno if that's an ellipsis (one char) or actually 3 dots... And this almost always appears on the status bar, I have always assumed it's doing the job our current English syntax gives it, to indicate more info is present, just not being shown.

Of course, if I knew what "prettyprint" is, I might be able to help better :cool:

A minor but intensly irritating problem I have is a black diamond with a question mark in it (reverse colour) in certain pages. I cannot even find the glyph to suss it! However, I think it may be some character entity not known to K-M or outside the (X)HTML standards.

Gordon.

Date: February 18, 2012 07:50AM

Gordon451
A minor but intensly irritating problem I have is a black diamond with a question mark in it (reverse colour) in certain pages. I cannot even find the glyph to suss it! However, I think it may be some character entity not known to K-M or outside the (X)HTML standards.

I have this problem also. I think it is where the site is using the double quote mark. I have not found a fix yet.

JamesD

Posted by: gordon451
Date: February 20, 2012 12:44PM

JamesD
I have this problem also. I think it is where the site is using the double quote mark. I have not found a fix yet.

Yah, I think you're right, that seems to be the context.

OTOH, I've never had problems in any browser -- let alone KM -- when I or the site author use well-formed entities, eg: &rdquo; So it must be malformed entities, I think probably hex-codes, eg: &#8221;

Gordon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2012 12:49PM by gordon451.

Posted by: deadlock
Date: February 23, 2012 01:40PM

A setting in preferences 'Window Diversion' doesn't
work in 1.54/1.6/1.7 because C++ sources and
chrome sources use a different parameter.

There is a simple fix for all official K-Meleon releases:
Search replace binary in kmeleon.exe to make it
compatible with official K-Meleon chrome packages.

replace:
kmeleon.tabs.loadDivertedInBackground

with:
browser.tabs.loadDivertedInBackground

A combination of settings is needed
to enable open tabs in background.
You can test with this page:

www.htmlcodetutorial.com/linking/_A_TARGET_95y98y108y97y110y107y.html

Posted by: ndebord
Date: February 25, 2012 03:05PM

deadlock

There is a simple fix for all official K-Meleon releases:
Search replace binary in kmeleon.exe to make it
compatible with official K-Meleon chrome packages.

deadlock,

I took a look in a HEX editor and it is character by character replace, just change kmeleon to browser and leave the rest of the string alone. Is it truly that easy?

N

Posted by: ndebord
Date: February 25, 2012 06:02PM

JamesD
Gordon451

JamesD,

Can you provide a URL to test (after hexing K-Meleon.Exe per Deadlock.)

N

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.