Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
Kmeleon for seamonkey alpha1
Posted by: Dorian
Date: July 29, 2005 05:23AM

Here a new version of kmeleon intented to work with seamonkey (like Hao Jiang build). Because it was builded to be running outside GRE, there are probably a lot of regressions. I have currently problem with my connection and it will probably not resolved soon (not before the end of summer and the heat is gone). Can't do much for now.

Difference with version used in Hao Jiang build:
- Builded to work outside GRE (but a bug in the api still prevent it)
- History now work with history.dat and autocomplete (so appcomps.dll is needed instead of embed_lite)
- Fixed download dialog (xul download manager is deactivated to avoid a crash at shutdown)
- Fixed xul dialog not responding when closed witth the X. For the buttons not reponding, chrome have to be edited. Some dialog use just return; when you click on a button and not window.close(). (I finally remembered that stuff smiling smiley They currently work that way : click on your choice then close it with the X.
- Right click menu: some actions are probably broken
- The drop-down of the url bar is not always hiding like it should
- More bugs

Get it here:
http://boisso.free.fr/kmeleon.html

This version is only intented for test purpose. Avoid using it for your every day browsing usage !

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Kmeleon for seamonkey alpha1
Posted by: Hao Jiang
Date: July 29, 2005 05:47AM

Great to see you and your new version out here!! Thank you for your work.

Hao

Posted by: ra
Date: July 29, 2005 08:04PM

Whoohoo, cool! Is there any source code available to play with? smiling smiley

Date: July 29, 2005 08:25PM

@ra,
Dorian have done a lot of great work on K-Meleon. Maybe we should invite him to take over this open-source project and toward 1.0. Don't you think so?
Since I am not the member of the official dev, maybe you and jsnj can consider that?

Best regards,

Hao

Date: July 29, 2005 09:09PM

@Dorian,
Got serious problem with back/forward in this build. In the layer only mode, when you have several layers open, you will find sometime, the back/forward not work.

Hao

Date: July 29, 2005 09:51PM

I think that depends on (you,) Dorian. I for one welcome every piece of work that is done on K-M, especially if the project itself is brought forward.

Sending an email to Ulf is probably enough to get actively involved. I'd expect he'd be happy that there'd be finally someone who'd be stepping forward and who'd do s.th. for the project, especially codewise.

But taking over the project isn't what I'd recommend. Coding, checking in code, putting alpha and beta builds together is probably more than enough for a start and it's always good if there are (still) some (more) helping hands in reach when they're needed..

But well, although I'm around here for some time, I'm only an user, so that's solely my opinion and no official word.

Seeing some official development again would be really great!

Posted by: Dorian
Date: July 30, 2005 05:12AM

I may be able to make an incremental release but going for 1.0 is a little too much (who know what could happen though).

I noticed the problem with the session history and totally forgot about it. Fixed for the next realease, also with a problem in encoding for the session history drop down menu.

I'll releases the sources with the next release smiling smiley

Date: August 01, 2005 08:03PM

Thanks, I'm looking forward to it!

BTW: It would be great if you could send your code changes to Ulf so he could (review and) check them in. And it would even be better if you would join the dev-team. :-)

Posted by: ndebord
Date: August 04, 2005 11:43PM

About how the development of K-Meleon goes forward down the road, a couple of observations.

First off, Ulf has been the main developer in the past few years. In my opinion, he has bee the prototypical reluctant warrior. He has come forward when absolutely needed which is good. The downside to that is the general feeling of unease that has permeated the K-Meleon community because of the uncertainty factor.

Ideally there should be a community of developers, just like FireFox, Seamonkey, Camino, Galeon, etc. Since that is not the case, having Dorian around has been a lifesaver. I suspect, although I do not know (not being a coder), that with the right training others who have been active (you all know who you are) could move up to that status if they so wished and had the help and training required.

It looks like Seamonkey and FireFox will both be potential sources for K-Meleon and that down the road XULrunner could be or should be the new source.

What do you'll think?

N

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.