Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
which RSS readers work with KM 1.6 beta?
Posted by: ndebord
Date: November 28, 2010 07:52PM

I'm currently using NewsFox because Aggreg8 doesn't seem to work.

Anybody using a different reader?

<g>

N

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2010 07:52PM by ndebord.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: which RSS readers work with KM 1.6 beta?
Posted by: jsnj(unlogged)
Date: November 29, 2010 09:07PM

Netvibes - Reader View. I like the customization options and the overall look & behavior even though Google Reader has a search function and is a little quicker. What's wrong w/NewsFox? It's much more feature rich than Aggreg8 IIRC. You can try out any online or desktop reader within KM easily with Feed Subscribe. If you mean other Firefox/Seamonkey XUL readers, I think getting them to work in KM is probably more trouble than its worth if possible at all.

For me, keeping track & getting info from all my favorite sites is so much easier now with feed readers. Because of feeds, I haven't needed or used Groups in a very long time even though I originally created Groups for KM back in the 0.8 - 0.9 days. Readers use far less resources compared to a multitude of open tabs.

Posted by: guenter
Date: November 29, 2010 11:41PM

XUL readers: only Aggreg8, microRSS by snuz2 and foxit were ever usable out of the box.

Date: November 30, 2010 12:43AM

Guenter,

G>>> Netvibes - Reader View...

Nope, not for me... I don't like cloud apps in general and for RSS, an offline reader is my choice.

>>> What's wrong w/NewsFox? It's much more feature rich than Aggreg8 IIRC.

Yes, NewsFox is more feature rich than Aggreg8, but I like the low-tech style of Aggreg8.

As for KM 1.6beta, only NewsFox works as near as I can tell. Both Aggreg8 and MicroRSS failed when I tried to use them there. However, since NewsFox is more than decent, I'm happy with it. And I have to admit, I've never tried the Feed Subscribe method. Much prefer to have one built-in to KM as Aggreg8 was in the beginning and later Newsfox as the replacement.

Groups is an excellent little tool for my tastes. It can be easily updated, easily exported, imported or merged. Really nice and with the backup capability, works across multiple computers.

N

Posted by: jsnj
Date: November 30, 2010 03:23AM

ndebord
And I have to admit, I've never tried the Feed Subscribe method. Much prefer to have one built-in to KM as Aggreg8 was in the beginning and later Newsfox as the replacement.

There's no different method in Feed Subscribe really and nothing external about it. It just detects feeds on a page and allows you to add them to your chosen reader including NewsFox. Can be handy since there's no easy way to detect and add new feeds in KM out of the box.

I've tried a few FF feed readers in FF and Newsfox is just as good if not better than the others.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2010 03:24AM by jsnj.

Date: November 30, 2010 05:50AM

jsnj
ndebord
And I have to admit, I've never tried the Feed Subscribe method. Much prefer to have one built-in to KM as Aggreg8 was in the beginning and later Newsfox as the replacement.

There's no different method in Feed Subscribe really and nothing external about it. It just detects feeds on a page and allows you to add them to your chosen reader including NewsFox. Can be handy since there's no easy way to detect and add new feeds in KM out of the box.

I've tried a few FF feed readers in FF and Newsfox is just as good if not better than the others.

jsnj,

No argument there.. NewsFox is a fine RSS reader, it's just that I got real used to Aggreg8 and like it a lot, so intertia and all that mental sloth.

As for Feed Subscribe, I'll try it out now that I downloaded it.

N

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2010 05:57AM by ndebord.

Date: November 30, 2010 06:01AM

jsnj
ndebord

One quirk of Feed Subscribe that I am not fond of. It takes up an entire toolbar all by itself. Can't seem to integrate it into the main toolbar or the Privacy bar. Possible?

N

Posted by: jsnj
Date: November 30, 2010 05:25PM

ndebord
jsnj
ndebord

One quirk of Feed Subscribe that I am not fond of. It takes up an entire toolbar all by itself. Can't seem to integrate it into the main toolbar or the Privacy bar. Possible?

It's like the search button or any other single button bar. Unlock your toolbars and just drag it next to any toolbar anywhere.

Date: November 30, 2010 05:44PM

jsnj

It's like the search button or any other single button bar. Unlock your toolbars and just drag it next to any toolbar anywhere.

jsnj,

You're right, I was dragging from the wrong part of the icon, much better now.

Thanks!

N

Date: December 03, 2010 03:49PM

jsnj

jsnj,

Really happy now with feed subscribe and NewsFox now in KM 1.6 beta. A lot of thanks to you for talking me into going with that combination! <VBG>

N

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.