Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
Building
Posted by: greeny
Date: October 12, 2005 03:41PM

I'm having trouble getting the files from CygWin for building K-Meleon. The doc says I need:
ash
bzip2
cygwin
diff
fileutils
gawk
grep
sed
sh-utils
tar
terminfo
textutils

Obtaining them is becoming a major pain in the ass. Does anyone know of a better way? Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Building
Posted by: greeny
Date: October 12, 2005 03:56PM

I've selected these files and I get a "Setup Incomplete" message almost immediately as downloading starts. I have all of the CygWin installed on this machine, just not in the "\projects\mozzilla\CygWin" folder. It's located else where on the C: drive. Am I going down the completely wrong path? I don't forsee any other problems once I have these tools ready. Thanks again in advance for any help.

Re: Building
Posted by: Sob
Date: October 12, 2005 08:55PM

If you are following the guide at http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/docs/build.php, you ARE going to run in some other problems. winking smiley
With Cygwin it should be easy. Some of the required packages were merged together and are now available as different package (I don't remember the exact name, but I believe it is base-something..). But if you already have complete Cygwin, I would try to change the path to Cygwin in env.bat to where you actually have it installed. It should work.
When you are about to compile the source, do not use nmake command, it does not work anymore, but instead use "make -f client.mk build". Then everything should work ok, if you have MSVC6. If you have something newer and don't want to spend half a day thinking why everything seems ok, but nothing works, as I did, then download proper version of required libs from ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mozilla/libraries/win32/ and replace those in original buildtools.
Compiling K-Meleon itself is easy. I had some problems with missing includes, but I'm not sure if it was with original 0.9 source of with the SM version. Anyway if compiler complains about missing ns*.h, just look where exactly it is in mozilla\dist\include and add that path to includes.

Building some more...
Posted by: whitey
Date: October 19, 2005 04:42AM

Okay, so I got all the source, set up my machine (Windows Server 2003 with VC++7, cygwin, perl, proper lib versions, et cetera) and the build actually starts as planned

...and then dies during configure with

"configure: error: --enable-application=APP is required"

If anybody can tell me what is going wrong here, it would be super. Thanks in advance.

Re: Building some more...
Posted by: Sob
Date: October 19, 2005 12:01PM

Try to add "--enable-application=suite" parameter to configure. I'm not sure, maybe "--enable-application=browser" would be enough, but with the first one it worked for me.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.