Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
Please Do Acknowledge...
Posted by: microkernels
Date: March 20, 2011 05:23PM

We are the Microkernels Group, composing of Mary Grace Balajadia, John Linnel Belbis, Maricris Concepcion, Nancy Giron, Marie Louise Rubio taking up Bachelor of Science in Information and Communications Technology in Bulacan State University located at City of Malolos, Bulacan, Philippines. In partial fulfillment of our course, the group must have a capstone project that enables the group to use all of the skills and knowledge that are being thought. In line with, the group is asking for the permission for us to use K-Meleon's source code in our project for it is under GNU General Public License that the group believes that K-Meleon is designed to carry on freedom to modify the said software.

In addition, the group would like to integrate new features to K-Meleon latest stable version concerning mostly GUI or graphical user interface of the said browser. Namely “sURL box” (Search in URL bar/address bar) box to K-Meleon browser which enable the user to search using the URL address bar, “CusToMe” (Customize Me) to K-Meleon browser this enables the user to customize the buttons color and skin of the browser depending on the browsers’ theme to make it more appealing to the user itself. Lastly “NaviBar” (Navigation Panel) to K-Meleon browser panel which gives the user organize bookmarking system, shortcut buttons (menu bar, java script console button, preferences button,etc.) and most visited links in an auto hide navigation toolbar panel which keeps the page window being maximize.

The purpose of this letter is to ask for acknowledgement for those developers in the K-Meleon community of what we will contribute, we want to ask for assurance that no other developer will do the same contributions that we are trying to add to K-Meleon, this is also for clarification purposes that is highly needed in our capstone project and as proof that we, the MicroKernels do the project and not by other developers of the community.

We would be looking forward for your immediate response. Thank you very much!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Please Do Acknowledge...
Posted by: JujuLand
Date: March 20, 2011 05:53PM

If I understand what you want to do, you want to use K-Meleon source , add some
functionnalities ? Right ?

If you read the GPL licence, you can see you can do that.

But, if I understand all what you're saying, you don't want that other guys can modify or work on your improvement. Is-it what you want ?

If you read correctly the GPL license, you see that your modifications or improvements must respect the GPL License, and you also must make source avalaibles, so, I think the condition you want to put isn't acceptable and you can't do that.

Copyleft also helps programmers who want to contribute improvements to free software get permission to do that. These programmers often work for companies or universities that would do almost anything to get more money. A programmer may want to contribute her changes to the community, but her employer may want to turn the changes into a proprietary software product.

When we explain to the employer that it is illegal to distribute the improved version except as free software, the employer usually decides to release it as free software rather than throw it away.

To copyleft a program, we first state that it is copyrighted; then we add distribution terms, which are a legal instrument that gives everyone the rights to use, modify, and redistribute the program's code or any program derived from it but only if the distribution terms are unchanged. Thus, the code and the freedoms become legally inseparable.

I think that other guys could give their opinion about it.

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2011 05:54PM by JujuLand.

Date: March 20, 2011 07:48PM

"But, if I understand all what you're saying, you don't want that other guys can modify or work on your improvement. Is-it what you want ? "

As we clearly stated, we don't say that "other guys can't modify our work", actually, this thread is intended for you, for all of the members of this forum site, for all the developers out there to know and to acknowledge that we, the Mikrokernels WILL DEVELOP THESE FEATURES.

What we want here is for you and for all of you to understand that THESE FEATURES ARE NOT YET DONE but it is going to be done in the near future, We posted our draft, or our plan because it is a project requirement that we must inform the members and visitor of the forum site of K-Meleon for the developers to know that we will develop these such features, and no one will do the SAME features that we are proposing to you, to all of you because Our project critics wanted to be sure that we, The Mikrokernels developed the said features and not being copied in other developers.

"If you read correctly the GPL license, you see that your modifications or improvements must respect the GPL License, and you also must make source avalaibles, so, I think the condition you want to put isn't acceptable and you can't do that. "

We also clearly understand that K-Meleon is under GPL licence, meaning derived works can only be distributed under the same license terms. So, if we will be able to developed and make these features we, the Mikrokernels will make every source code available, modifyable and can be change by everyone who desires

Lastly, we would like to thank you Jujuland, for giving time and effort in this thread.. :cool:

i hope you understand us... thank you so much

Posted by: siria
Date: March 20, 2011 08:06PM

Well, regardless of that acknowledgement thing, which doesn't concern me as I'm just a normal user, the following makes me wonder if you're kidding...

What we want here is for you and for all of you to understand that THESE FEATURES ARE NOT YET DONE but it is going to be done in the near future

Most of the features you describe are long since included in KM, choosable in the preferences and configuration sheets, so that statement is a bit weird.
Or perhaps you only looked at a stone age version of it? *confused*
Or perhaps you simply overlooked it in the current version, while only taking a short glance at it?
And there's also the current KM1.6 beta version, which has lots of newly developed stuff too.

Posted by: desga2
Date: March 20, 2011 09:19PM

All contribution under GPL license is welcome. smiling smiley

Only one note about:
microkernels
Namely “sURL box” (Search in URL bar/address bar) box to K-Meleon browser which enable the user to search using the URL address bar

This feature is already included in K-Meleon. URL address bar can be used to search with the web search engine that you setting.
You can setting it in Preferences (F2) -> Browsing -> Finding Websites -> Keyword Autosearch.
But if your developer group can optimized it, better performance or add something new to this feature is welcome.

Thanks for your contributions to K-Meleon project.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2011 09:20PM by desga2.

Date: March 20, 2011 09:21PM

desga2
All contribution under GPL license is welcome. smiling smiley

Only one note about:
microkernels
Namely “sURL box” (Search in URL bar/address bar) box to K-Meleon browser which enable the user to search using the URL address bar

This feature is already included in K-Meleon. URL address bar can be used to search with the web search engine that you setting.
You can setting it in Preferences (F2) -> Browsing -> Finding Websites -> Keyword Autosearch.
But if your developer group can optimized it, better performance or add something new to this feature is welcome.

Thanks for your contributions to K-Meleon project.

thanks smiling smiley

Date: March 21, 2011 09:05PM

for anyone out there.. what could be additional feature can we contribute to the KM since some of the requested features in the board of the Km Improvement Request are granted or existing.. we need to have our plan b of our project..and we really want to contribute something for the K-Meleon. Thank you very much . . . We love K-Meleon ♥

Posted by: guenter
Date: March 21, 2011 11:24PM

Sorry, all current core developers live in Europe. You will have to wait for an answer. It is 23.55 hours Central European Time.

Have a look at Downloads that is the K-Meleon1.6.b2 development issue.

Its skin includes some buttons/items that You mention in Your original post.
K-Meleon surface is customisable. K-Meleon is fully skinable. Users need nothing but an editor to change many things in K-Meleon skins. Most of the existing skins for K-Meleon Version 1.5.x and the coming version have links from this Forum post about skin updates.

I do not know what kind of work Your project tutor has in mind. I do not know how difficult Your project job has to be...

A plan B could IMHO be to dcreate something that You can use or are missing Yourself if You are a K-Meleon user.

p.s. The first thing I personally would do if it did not exist is a browser interface in my mother language (takes many hours and teaches a little about XUL and other things). Another can be to port or create a skin and its icon/bmp.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2011 11:25PM by guenter.

Posted by: siria
Date: March 22, 2011 01:08AM

Hard to tell... There were so many things people missed! Of course I can't remember now... And some have been added meanwhile... You could check the improvement forum and bug forum...

But at this moment in time the project is mostly in need of bugfixing, after switching to gecko 1.9.1 (KM1.6beta) and 1.9.2 (KM1.7alpha). And there are also a few special bugs in modern systems, like just some days ago there was a discussion, that on win7/64bit the page titles are truncated to 10 characters, and only are shown correctly after minimizing and restoring a page, unless I got that wrong...

Trying to find "new features", hmm... perhaps allow own user styles for the TEXT in the menu bars, size, color, font... Until now this always uses the native windows style. Just a little gimmick, but for example, if a user wants to have a dark skin background, those text menus become unreadable, if the native windows color for menu text is black... Last year I searched around on the web and also got some answers here in the forum, and got the impression that it were feasable without too much trouble, but does need a skilled programmer (and ours don't have time for such gimmicks at the moment).

Hmm... and weren't there quite some improvement requests for bookmarks/favorites/(hotlist) handling?
Ah, how about a true SIDEBAR?? For favorites and history... At the moment there are only workarounds.
And a command to save all open tabs of a window in a new bookmark/favorites folder (or is there's already a macro??)...
And to be able to hover the mouse over a bookmarks/favorites folder and have in the context menu "open all pages" or such, ah yes!

And a more visible way to SEARCH inside bookmarks and history would be nice! So far one can use "find as you type", just type into the blue and the cursor jumps to the first hit. Then click F3 to jump to the next. It works fine, but how many people know that? It's not obvious at all, no hint anywhere, not even in context menu. A button would help.
Unfortunately bookmarks and history seem a bit buggy yet, so our devs may be working at those plugins too at the same time, no idea.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2011 01:20AM by siria.

Posted by: santamaria
Date: March 31, 2011 06:39PM

Indeed, a true (Opera-like) sidebar would be heavenly! In addition, perhaps you can also consider implementing autocomplete in the address bar that takes your bookmarks into consideration.
As I described here:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?4,115699

(omg! infinite link recursion! grinning smiley )

Posted by: ndebord
Date: March 31, 2011 10:18PM

siria,

My personal favorite is five years or so old. Not being able to Drag and drop bookmarks to the bookmark toolbar. <sigh>

N

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.