Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
Privacy Toolbar changes
Posted by: ndebord
Date: August 02, 2008 06:21PM

In previous versions of the toolbar you could set global settings for deletion of things such as cookies, history, etc.

For example:

Tools/Privacy/Settings

Privacy Plugin Settings

Cookies
Disk Cache
History
Address Bar History
Saved Passwords

[ ] Clear on Startup (Clear now button)

[ ] Clear on Shutdown

This no longer seems to be the case. Has this plugin changed or is there another place to set global preferences?

Tks

N

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Privacy Toolbar changes
Posted by: JamesD
Date: August 02, 2008 06:48PM

#ndebord

I don't know about the toolbar, but there are setting for many of these items within preferences.

Try EDIT - PREFERENCES - PRIVACY & SECURITY. There are tabs within which cover the items you noted.

Date: August 02, 2008 08:19PM

James,

Not the same thing at all to my mind. The older method of doing the privacy toolbar gave you control over your settings automatically with a set of rules that you could check on or off.

Now, unless there is a setting I'm missing, the same functions listed above are handled manually, meaning you have to go in and laboriously check settings from Tools/Privacy/Clear Data (four clicks to do what was once a set and forget setting and change if need be).

Not anywhere near the same. There is a setting to globally clear everything, but that is of little help when what I want is to clear only certain items such as history, urls, cache(s) and keep passwords and cookies (I manage cookies better using an external cookie manager).

I don't get the reasoning for this change.

N

Posted by: JamesD
Date: August 03, 2008 12:46AM

I agree about the cookies. I use "Cookie Monster" to handle mine. It will handle three versions of KM plus the rare use of IE.

I don't think I ever used the older method to control the other items.

Date: August 03, 2008 02:58AM

James,

I too use Cookie Monster. In fact, it is the next thing I added. <G>

N

Posted by: guenter
Date: August 03, 2008 05:22PM

I do not think the default Privacy Bar functions have changed (some of the syntax has). But as You suggested - it can be custom hacked to fit any needs smiling smiley

Date: August 03, 2008 08:23PM

Guenter,

It is good to know that you can hack the syntax because to my mind, the new version is a regression, not an improvement.

For example, in the old version, you could set your privacy settings to clear on either or both startup and shutdown: So in my case, I would not check mark either cookies* or passwords, but would set history, url and cache to clear on shutdown. The key is it is automatic and can be changed whenever circumstances change.

Now, if I am reading it properly, you have to manually change this stuff.

To hack it is hard? IF not, I would want to give it a try.

Much thanks,

* for cookies I would use Cookie Monster or similar and for passwords, I would manually edit it outside of KM or internally with the builtin editor.

N

Posted by: misterp
Date: August 03, 2008 08:42PM

Tools > Privacy > Clear Data > Clear Automatically...

Posted by: kko
Date: August 03, 2008 08:55PM

@ndebord: What you are looking for has just moved: "Tools" > "Privacy" > "Clear Data" > "Clear Automatically..."

(OK, I've been a bit late. Thanks misterp.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2008 08:56PM by kko.

Date: August 04, 2008 02:46AM

kko,

You're right. What confused me was the "clear automatically" caption. I thought that meant automatically clear everything, so I did not drill down to see what it actually did do. <sigh>

Much thanks

N

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.