Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
Building K-Meleon
Posted by: Zolid
Date: January 22, 2013 04:39PM

Hi,

Im not actually a c++ programmer so probably thats why Im having trouble.

I have been trying to get K-meleon to work but to no avail. There seems to be different suggestions of how to do this when you google... There is documentation dating back to 2001 even that is probably not working anymore.

I installed virtual XP, Visual Studio 2003 .net and followed this guide instead since it sounded easy enough:

---->

The Easy way

Build requirements
â–  K-Meleon build environment (based on 1.5a1 source code)
â–  Microsoft Visual C++. Version 7.1 (Visual Studio 2003).

Building

Open src\KMeleon.sln in VS2003, choose the configuration (Release or Release Unicode) and build. Doesn't work? Use the mailing list or the developement forum if you have any questions. You can also update the source code using a CVS client (look at WinCVS or TortoiseCVS).

<----

With windows 7 Virtual XP.

First off when building the project according to this guide it crashes due to the folder release/components not being there. So most probably what is not mentioned is that you somehow need to build the mozilla dlls...

After building successfully you get an error:

nsp4.dll missing when running the program. So I download Firefox 2.0 and get all the .dll files etc etc.
Now running K-meleon.exe with all the DLLs just results in silent fail. Running it in debug mode gives an error in mfcembed.cpp "Debug Assertion Failed"? ... Maybe the dlls does not correspond to the linked non built dll files... But I dont know how to build the dll files from the mozilla sources?

How is this supposed to work? How do I compile nsp4.dll and the rest of the needed files? Why is there so many crappy old guides that dont work? Seems I get different guides everytime I google it.

Can I please get instructions on how to build k-meleon easily, I dont want to have to fix the code to work with newer versions of vc without even getting it to work with a sln file from 2003 and provided with a complete working project??

I also have VS 2005, 2008, 2010 in windows 7.

What I am looking for is a minimalistic webbrowser that doesnt need installation and can be run from a network share in all x86 windows environments without a hassle. But I also want to be able to make some modifications like removing certain functions etc... But that comes later.

Hope to get some good answers. Sourcefiles, instructions of what environment to set up that will definetely work without modifying the source.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Building K-Meleon
Posted by: JamesD
Date: January 22, 2013 05:54PM

Zolid
What I am looking for is a minimalistic webbrowser that doesnt need installation and can be run from a network share in all x86 windows environments without a hassle. But I also want to be able to make some modifications like removing certain functions etc... But that comes later.

First let me say that I am not a developer. I cannot help you with compiling you own version. There are available versions of K-Meleon in 7-Zip format which do not have to be installed. When you indicated that it needs to run from a network share, do you mean to have multiple users using the software at the same time? If so I think so tricks can be done to allow each user to have their own profile. Some information on that can be found here. http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/ProfileLocation

If each user had their own shortcut which included the '-profilesDir command line switch', their profile would remain theirs alone.

A great deal of K-Meleon's functions are controlled by macros. If you can explain which functions you do not wish, perhaps I can help you with that.

Which version are you trying to build? Have you looked at K-Meleon 1.6.0 Beta 2.5? Although it is a beta, just about everything works. It is available here. https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1522294/K-Meleon1.6.0_Beta2dot5_en-US.7z

I will be glad to try to answer any questions you might have.

Hanlon’s razor is an eponymous adage named after Robert J. Hanlon that states: “Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

JamesD

Re: Building K-Meleon
Posted by: guenter
Date: January 22, 2013 09:31PM

Naturally You need to build the Mozilla GRE first. Read the docu @.

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/BuildKMeleonDistribution

But as JamesD said already You do not have to build to get the distribution.

Any K-Meleon install can be used as a basis for the installers or the 7zip that r used to distribute.

4 UR project You merely have to temper with the profiles location, start params etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2013 10:00PM by guenter.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.