Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
K-Meleon 1.5.4 RC
Posted by: Dorian
Date: January 27, 2010 07:34PM

Nothing much for this version except for the freeze in vista/seven. If everything is alright, there will be one or two week before release.

Download Setup
Download 7z

Changelog

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: K-Meleon 1.5.4 RC
Posted by: JamesD(unlogged)
Date: January 27, 2010 09:39PM

The 7z appears as code from the link. Any way to get an option to save file?

Posted by: Matt
Date: January 27, 2010 09:55PM

Than You very much, Dorian. I'm gonna test it soon.
James, right click > Save Link Target As...

Posted by: JamesD
Date: January 28, 2010 04:03AM

Thanks Matt. I have it installed and set up for testing now.

Date: January 28, 2010 01:31PM

Bug 1130 about multiple buttons on a new bar is confirmed as fixed. I was able to create a new bar and put three buttons on it.

Posted by: Doon
Date: January 28, 2010 01:41PM

Thanks for your efforts Dorian, and to everyone else involved.

I was poking around and noted the following changes from 1.5.3:

Macros:
"image properties" enhanced (docinfo.kmm), now includes
"scaled to" pixel values from effects of img size tags.

Menus:
Undo/Redo added to the edit menus.
Refined delete/clear context menu functions.

Accelerators:
Ctrl-Y set to invoke redo.
Toggle status bar keys changed.

Search engines:
Tweaked Wikipedia search string.
Added some LEO translation dictionary searches.

kmprefs added:
pref("kmeleon.plugins.bookmarks.menuAddBookmark", true);
pref("kmeleon.plugins.fullscreen.hide_tabsbar", true);

GRE:
rv:1.8.1.24pre
Gecko/20091010

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2010 04:15AM by Doon.

Date: January 28, 2010 02:36PM

I can confirm that the bug 1134 which had us using "macros(dummy)" in place of "" for deletion of an accel key has been fixed.

Posted by: guenter
Date: January 28, 2010 03:18PM

JamesD(unlogged)
The 7z appears as code from the link. Any way to get an option to save file?

Wait till it is completly loaded then use save as.

Annoying: AFAIK server telling wrong type sad smiley

Doon
I think some more harrmless yet helpful menu changes could be suggested, like

Any helpful menu change that needs a translation requires that all translators have time before they can be applied. You would not do that to a RC - would You? sad smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2010 03:37PM by guenter.

Date: January 28, 2010 04:41PM

guenter
Doon
I think some more harrmless yet helpful menu changes could be suggested, like

Any helpful menu change that needs a translation requires that all translators have time before they can be applied. You would not do that to a RC - would You? sad smiley

guenter, in this case Doon's request doesn't require an extra translation. I added the code:

!LinkCopy{
&Copy=ID_EDIT_COPY
}

posted by siria and the "Copy" command displays in the language set in F2 > GUI Appearance > Language.

Looking back on the discussion about security > http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,98695,page=1 , I tested 1.5.4RC and the browser freezes after visiting both links:

https://bug516396.bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=400493

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=406726

Is that still suppose to happen?

Posted by: siria
Date: January 28, 2010 05:13PM

Matt
guenter
guenter, in this case Doon's request doesn't require an extra translation.

Yeah, and neither would a new translation be needed for stuff like exchanging the partly wrong 2004-commands-list with desga's updated one, or a few other tiny things.
Alas it would probably be needed for adding the privacy toggle of that objects-pref (embedded flash with or without javascript), but now I don't hold my breath anymore for seeing that one anytime soon out-of-the-box. Good thing that user macros are possible :cool:
Oh well, and it's still not true that doubleclicks only work on free space to open new tabs, but yes, that would probably require a translation too.

But I'm really glad that finally multiple macro-buttons are working in one toolbar!!

And that undo-redo thing looks promising too, although at the moment I'm not sure yet what exactly it does, but undo is always good smiling smiley
And the Preferences finally have checkmarks for tabbar in fullscreen and the famous tab-close-buttons, that will save a lot of headaches to many people too!
And the GRE-update certainly is very important too, for safety and such.
(But guess I better not mention that the renamed C&onfig&uration menu now requires different toolbars.cfg in my skin variations for KM153 or KM154, will have to look how to get newbies to edit that themselves *scratchhead* tongue sticking out smiley)

Date: January 28, 2010 08:21PM

siria
And that undo-redo thing looks promising too, although at the moment I'm not sure yet what exactly it does, but undo is always good

I found out. Go to a site with a search field and enter some word. Try EDIT - UNDO and the word will go away. Use EDIT - REDO and the word will come back. Pretty neat.

Date: January 28, 2010 08:28PM

@ Dorian

Perhaps it is only my machine, but the problem with the x on the tab. is still there. It is marked 'un-confirmed' and I don't know if others have the problem or not. As soon an I pressed 'close' on the pref panel KM stopped with an error. Bug 1150

I have to remove 'user_pref("browser.tabs.closeButtons", 1);' with an editor before I can start again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2010 08:29PM by JamesD.

Posted by: JujuLand
Date: January 28, 2010 08:36PM

No problem for me ...

Try with a new profile.

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Date: January 28, 2010 09:49PM

@ JujuLand

Did a new install of KM 1.5.4 and made no change except to add x to tab. That worked. I then changed the skin to Klassic and added background to toolbar. That failed. I removed background to toolbar and tried again. That failed. I changed the skin back to default. Now still fails. I don't understand. By my count I only changed two things and then changed them back to original setting. Should have started working again, but did not.

I don't need the x on the tab. Guess we should not worry unless others encounter the problem.

Posted by: Doon
Date: January 28, 2010 10:30PM

It seems that ID_EDIT_REDO has been available since 1.5.2, but I guess it wasn't connected to any menus and such until now. Now undo/redo are available in all appropriate menus and via Ctrl-Z / Ctrl-Y.

guenter

No, guenter, sorry. I'm an english language k-meleon newbie looking at a finished version that popped out of nowhere, and with no real idea what takes place on the development side of things I didn't even think of the problem of translations and such. I did try to acknowledge that RC means 'completely finished' but then went too far perhaps. I hope I haven't stirred up any headaches for anyone.

Date: January 29, 2010 12:19AM

OK & Absolutely no problem. I just wanted translation time remembered - if none the better.

K-Meleon.org is short on (skilled) man hours.
AFAIK Dorian codes on 1.6...

Someone that wants the changes You mentioned should create a prototype - so that no devs time is used except for download & inspection. IMHO You have a better chance to get something included at this point or later on the basis that You offer a finished improvement / feature not a request.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2010 12:20AM by guenter.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: January 29, 2010 12:29AM

James,

I don't get it. My install went well, although I took the precaution of making it a new install, then used a two pane file manager to compare and copy files over to my existing KM. Where comparisons inside files showed changes, I put them both up on the screen and copied over things like Ctrl X & Y.

Having no problems with themes and wonder what the differences might be?

N

Date: January 29, 2010 12:43AM

Matt

Looking back on the discussion about security > http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,98695,page=1 , I tested 1.5.4RC and the browser freezes after visiting both links:

https://bug516396.bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=400493

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=406726

Is that still suppose to happen?

Matt,

I would think that that freeze shouldn't happen, but it does on my KM (with 1.5.4 update) too. Don't get it because that particular freeze was due to the buffer overflow issue and was fixed with this about config change:

svg.enabled FALSE

P.S.

Figured it out. I read a post at MozillaZine where they said that the nightlies have not yet fixed the SVG bug. I guess that fix is awaiting a patch on the 1.8.xx Gecko machine that has not been produced yet and according to what they're saying is depending upon a new 2.xxxx version of Thunderbird to come out. Not sure what's going on with the messenging people at TB.

N

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2010 04:17PM by ndebord.

Posted by: 4td8s
Date: January 29, 2010 09:56PM

ndebord

Figured it out. I read a post at MozillaZine where they said that the nightlies have not yet fixed the SVG bug. I guess that fix is awaiting a patch on the 1.8.xx Gecko machine that has not been produced yet and according to what they're saying is depending upon a new 2.xxxx version of Thunderbird to come out. Not sure what's going on with the messenging people at TB.

the MozillaMessenging people havent gotten their priorities straighten out after TB3 was released, ndebord. there are some TB2 users already fed up of if and when a TB 2.0.0.24 release will be ready; and they're NOT gonna upgrade to TB3 at all.

perhaps I'm thinking that the final release of KM 1.5.4 should be postponed/delayed until that SVG bug gets implemented, which I don't mind.

I did test out KM 1.5.4 RC on a Vista SP2 laptop. It closes okay with only one browser tab. But when I close KM 1.5.4 that has multiple browser tabs, it crashes sometimes; pretty much the same thing I had with KM 1.5.3 on Vista.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2010 09:58PM by 4td8s.

Date: January 30, 2010 02:34AM

4td8s
ndebord

the MozillaMessenging people havent gotten their priorities straighten out after TB3 was released, ndebord. there are some TB2 users already fed up of if and when a TB 2.0.0.24 release will be ready; and they're NOT gonna upgrade to TB3 at all.

perhaps I'm thinking that the final release of KM 1.5.4 should be postponed/delayed until that SVG bug gets implemented, which I don't mind.

I did test out KM 1.5.4 RC on a Vista SP2 laptop. It closes okay with only one browser tab. But when I close KM 1.5.4 that has multiple browser tabs, it crashes sometimes; pretty much the same thing I had with KM 1.5.3 on Vista.

4td8s,

I suspect that your wish will be granted as Dorian knows that the bug hasn't been fixed in the nightlies. As for TB and SM (for that matter) I think that they have very little influence over the direction the coders at Mozilla Corp are taking and were presented with a major release with big coding changes and told to take it or leave it. (Even some of the FF diehards are not enthused over SQLite.)

If I had to venture a guess, I'd say that the builtin connections to Google (and its so-called white/black list) are mandated by those that pay the bulk of the Mozilla people's bills.

I look forward to Gecko 1.9, but not to SQLite and all the baggage it brings with it in terms of integrated dBases for things like history, bookmarks, passwords, cookies too...

I have FF 3.5.7 portable app version and have turned off as much of the overhead as I could and use Cookie Culler there (as I do here with KM).

Haven't gone for FF 3.6 yet.

N

Date: January 30, 2010 05:22AM

4td8s

4td8s,

Vista, huh. I've heard that Vista has caused no end of problems in many different ways.

N

Date: February 01, 2010 05:35PM

ndebord
I would think that that freeze shouldn't happen, but it does on my KM (with 1.5.4 update) too. Don't get it because that particular freeze was due to the buffer overflow issue and was fixed with this about config change:

svg.enabled FALSE

P.S.

ndebord, thank you for the info. I set svg.enabled to FALSE, too. I hope SM 1.1.19 will come out soon and close security holes.

Posted by: yav_BG
Date: February 04, 2010 10:43AM

Now I use K-Meleon 1.5.4 RC, I think it work very smooth. I will wait with impatient K-Meleon 1.5.4 official final release.

Date: February 06, 2010 02:00AM

Matt
ndebord, thank you for the info. I set svg.enabled to FALSE, too. I hope SM 1.1.19 will come out soon and close security holes.

Matt,

Me too... in the meantime, I'll use KM 1.5.4 RC and Fred's 1.9.1 unofficial variation.

N

Posted by: hiendra
Date: February 07, 2010 02:36AM

this browser can't open chat box on facebook

Date: February 07, 2010 10:02AM
Posted by: siria
Date: February 20, 2010 06:41PM

Is it just me, or is there a huge bug with translation packages??
Or perhaps only on win98??

To verify I downloaded a fresh KM153 and KM154RC again, and language packs DE+FR. Now when first opening the browser 154RC, it started already on french (on my german machine), but the completely weird thing is: In preferences F2 the first two tabs are completely messed, no language change or skin change possible, and at the bottom some weird red code with "...not found.." or such.
Could get out of that trap only by typing "about:config" and filtering for "locale", then manually setting to EN and en-US. After a restart all was fine again. After switching again to any other language, the buggy pref tabs were back.

KM153 displays those tabs fine in other languages.

Anyone else...??? Perhaps only win98, or just me??

Posted by: desga2
Date: February 20, 2010 08:04PM

This isn't a bug, this happend because 1.5.4 preference panels add some options differents to 1.5.3. Wait to a locale package for 1.5.4.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: February 21, 2010 03:29PM

desga2,

Looks like Thunderbird is coming close to a release date for 2.0.0.24.

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Releases/Thunderbird_2.0.0.24/Test_Plan

N

Date: February 21, 2010 07:28PM

siria
and at the bottom some weird red code with "...not found.." or such.

Indicates a chrome error. Bad ones open a brown window.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.