Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
Avoid sqlite, drag&drop bookmarks, no online service involved
Posted by: SoerenB
Date: March 09, 2010 09:16AM

Hi,

I finally found what I will be using as my bookmarks toolbar substitute, and I suggest checking if this could not be made the default bookmark manager for K-Meleon.
It was made by Nenad Hrg, who also made Q-Dir, and it is called FavoritenFreund, it is not translated from german yet (but I offered help there).
It can use IEfavs from any folder you set it to using, meaning: use any program to convert your .html or .adr bookmarks to IEfavs format, set that folder in FavoritenFreund, enjoy.

The unbeatable advantages, IMHO, are:

---it accepts drag&dropping from the URLbar, tabs, page links.
---it can be set to DOCK to any desktop border AND AUTOHIDE.
---it weighs in at 53kB only and is fast.

Cheers
SoerenB

Back again ...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Avoid sqlite, drag&drop bookmarks, no online service involved
Posted by: ndebord
Date: March 09, 2010 02:17PM

SoerenB
Hi,

I finally found what I will be using as my bookmarks toolbar substitute, and I suggest checking if this could not be made the default bookmark manager for K-Meleon.
It was made by Nenad Hrg, who also made Q-Dir, and it is called FavoritenFreund, it is not translated from german yet (but I offered help there).
It can use IEfavs from any folder you set it to using, meaning: use any program to convert your .html or .adr bookmarks to IEfavs format, set that folder in FavoritenFreund, enjoy.

The unbeatable advantages, IMHO, are:

---it accepts drag&dropping from the URLbar, tabs, page links.
---it can be set to DOCK to any desktop border AND AUTOHIDE.
---it weighs in at 53kB only and is fast.

Get it translated from German and it looks good to me. As a semi-retired Editor, I can help with English if needed.

Looks good, particuarly if source code is available. My old-line standby has been (and continues to be) GUL, but that is deadware and code is not available to change to make it fit KM's needs as disrupted can testify to when he tried to get in touch with the author.

N

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2010 01:34AM by ndebord.

Re: Avoid sqlite, drag&drop bookmarks, no online service involved
Posted by: SoerenB
Date: March 18, 2010 07:15PM

Hi, ndeboard,

thanks for offering help - I really would appreciate a review by a native speaker.

Alas, not for "FavoritenFreund". It is not Open Source, and the author did not reply to my email. Upon closer inspection, I found some other things that bothered me, too. So I set out to make a poor man's thing doing roughly the same, involving just autohotkey and, yes, the native Windows Explorer. (Which, by the way, I haven't used for file management for years).

It does take a bit of configuration (editing the .ahk file) by the User, and the macro to call it from the K-Meleon toolbar or menu has to be written yet. I'll post it anyway, no time now for that - has to be started externally, for the time being. Maybe somebody wants to "translate" the whole thing to autoIt.

This is what it can give you when you drag a link, say, to the left center of your screen:

The Usage and installation notes I put to the end of the script.
Here is the code:

;;;;;;;;;;;;   www.autohotkey.com    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;  semicolon is used for commenting out
;CONFIGURATION: My display is 1024 x 768 . You may want to edit some coordinates. Drag links to left center screen border if unedited
;Moving your mouse with your LButtonDown (e.g. dragging an URL) opens/pops up your bookmarks folder in explorer,
;so you can drop it there. Clicking inside the K-Meleon window after dropping will hide the favs folder, of course...)
;see the very end of the script for further notes concerning customization and installation

; Timer to check mouse position:
SetTimer, CheckMouse, 400     		;miliseconds. smaller=faster reaction, more CPU load

#Persistent
#singleinstance force

CheckMouse:                  ;check mouse position, store coords in variables
CoordMode, Mouse, Screen
MouseGetPos, MouseH , MouseV

GetKeyState, LState, LButton      ;check mouse Up/Dwn state, store in variable

if(MouseV>200 and MouseV<700 and MouseH>-5 and MouseH<5 and LState = "D")    ;coordinates. MouseH>-5 provides for a second display to the left
{
MouseMove, 30, 0, ,R             ;so it will trigger the action just once
IfWinNotExist, L:\AAim\common\Fav2         ;CONFIGNOTE_A: put here the Name of YOUR favs folder as it appears in the caption
{
     Run explorer.exe /root`, "L:\AAim\common\Fav2"	   ;CONFIGURATION: enter Path to YOUR favs folder instead
     WinWait, L:\AAim\common\Fav2, FolderView     ;CONFIGNOTE_A:
;     WinSet, Style, -0x80800000, A			;NOTE_B, see end of script
     WinMove, L:\AAim\common\Fav2,  , 0, 210, 450, 555 	;CONFIGNOTE_A, PLUS: x,y (of the top left corner), w, h
}
else
{
   WinActivate, L:\AAim\common\Fav2
     WinMove, L:\AAim\common\Fav2,  , 0, 210, 450, 555
}
}
return

;NOTE_B: if you uncomment this line (delete the starting semicolon), 
;the window will have no titlebar, so: 
;Min/Max/Close via the taskbarButtonMenu, or hit Alt Space to get the SystemMenu. 
;Favs can be arranged chronologically by doubleclicking the column headers
;No need for the FileType or Size columns here
;No need for an AdressBar, or for more buttons - the "Up" button is the 
;only one really needed, in fact.
;
;Customize via RClick on the toolbar.
;Menu items relevant for favs: >file<new, >edit>delete, 
;>view>arrange>in groups (?, don't have an english XP) )
;and, of course, >favorites

;==========================================================================
;Installation:
;Download & install Autohotkey: ; http://www.autohotkey.com/download/AutoHotkeyInstall.exe
;In your K-M tools folder (or anywhere), RClick>New>Autohotkey Script, call 
;it, say, kmfavView.ahk open kmfavView.ahk in notepad, replace its 
;contents by this text save & close, put a shortcut to this file on your 
;desktop / in your StartMenu, in your startup folder for starting
;you can be sure it is running when the green"H" icon shows in 
;your tray. RClicking that one gives you a menu for 
;pausing, closing, and others.

Cheers
SoerenB

Back again ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2010 07:18PM by SoerenB.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.