Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
"Save As" just doesn't work
Posted by: gordon451
Date: October 22, 2014 12:09AM

Running KM74 in W7HPx64 SP1, so far it's been good, mostly. Today (for the first time with KM) I needed to save a page so File>Save Page As... and nothing happened. Right Click>Save Page As... and nothing happened. Tools Button>Save Page As... and nothing happened. Ctrl-S and nothing happened.

I did a search, but it seems not to have been addressed directly. Some problem with icons in the dialog, but nothing about nothing happening.

Gordon.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: "Save As" just doesn't work
Posted by: JamesD
Date: October 22, 2014 02:29AM

@ Gordon

I tried with KM 74 final and KM 74 Gecko 31 on Win 7 (32 bit) and File > Save Page As... worked as well as right-click > Save Page As... Selecting File and typing "S" worked also. My skin does not have a tools button.

Have you made any changes to your KM that might cause your problem?

Date: October 22, 2014 03:51AM

Hi JamesD - I'm using the Klassic skin, it has a really nice Windows feel, the Tools button seems to be a '74 addition.

No "real" changes, but have looked at getting MIMEtypes to work properly, but don't fully understand the KM folder structure yet. Was undoing the MIMEtypes changes by deleting files and folders--I had been dropping them in to where I understood (maybe that should read "misunderstood") guenter's instructions where they should go.

Personalisation/configuration on KM is not as easy as it sounds...

Gordon.

Posted by: siria
Date: October 22, 2014 04:10AM

Sounds familiar... but that's a whole different and old trick:
F2 > File Handling
Is "Save As" folder checkmarked accidentally??

If yes, it does save, but secretly into that folder.
Or check in about:config for "save" options.

If that's it, creating a new (parallel) profile just for testing would fix it too. In the new profile only. But it's just one pref.

It that's not the reason, try restarting the browser.
Try restarting windows.
Try with a new additional profile for testing (Edit/Manage Profiles/Ask at startup, then at startup click on New Profile).
Try downloading KM again, make first a backup copy of your profile folder and the old KM folder (contains skin changes, menu changes, macros, etc.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2014 04:18AM by siria.

Date: October 22, 2014 04:18AM

OK. Found it.

Problem: Save Page As... works exactly like Save Link target As... which has no accerator key. So the F2prefs apply equally to both. This needs to be changed: on one we need to say where we want it to go on each time we use it, the other can be a default. In Prefs, I had "Browsing>File Handling>Save As option" checked as "Use Save As Folder for Save As option, not prompt for folder". So users must go into Prefs every time they wish to save a page somewhere other than their default location.

I guess this is not a bug as such, but it certainly is inconvenient.

Gordon.

Date: October 22, 2014 04:28AM

Hi siria -

My about:config save entries:

kmeleon.download.SaveUnkownContent;true
kmeleon.download.askOpenSave;false .......UserSet
kmeleon.download.saveDir;G:\Download .......UserSet
kmeleon.download.saveType;0
kmeleon.download.saveUseTitle;true
kmeleon.download.useSaveDir;false

Gordon.

Date: October 22, 2014 04:30AM

It's an age old feature really. In between for years that pref was hidden, but if it got toggled accidentally somehow or by a macro, there was no way to figure this out unless you knew about it.

Not sure how to solve. Perhaps have 2 choices in the menu: a macro that first toggles that pref ON and then saves, and below a macro that first toggles that pref OFF and then saves... ? and the shortcuts could still use the native command without any toggling...

Date: October 22, 2014 04:48AM

siria
...if it got toggled accidentally somehow or by a macro, there was no way to figure this out unless you knew about it.

Yes. Opera v12 has a contextual RC menu, so "Save Linked Content As..." and "Save to Download folder" if the link was attached to an image, but "File>Save As..." which I would read as a generic "Save this".

SRWare Iron--which I no longer have on my box--also saw a difference between saving something specific and simply saving a page.

Accepting that KM is (through Gecko) a cousin to FF, then perhaps we are using some of the FF way?

Gordon

Posted by: rodocop
Date: October 22, 2014 11:03PM

There are an old extension Quick Image Save

Maybe it could be changed in order to handle not only images?

Date: October 23, 2014 12:54AM

Guess it's not a gecko thing, but a native KM feature, since the pref name starts with "kmeleon".
Meanwhile I've remembered that I did exactly what I suggested earlier (macro toggles pref, then saves) with the SaveToFolder-macro.

But I always had trouble with it, glitches, not sure why anymore, but think that auto-save-pref could not be toggled back until next page load. In the meantime a user could try to "Save As" other links from the same page and it wouldn't work.

Meanwhile I'm quite happy with using the normal SaveAs-command again but via mousegesture or the seamonkey-gestures-shortcut "Shift+Link". And realized that the bothersome part was just to every time search through that endless long context menu to find "SaveAs". Now with gesture or shortcut it's a snap, and hitting the OK-button again no big deal anymore. Still:

Improvement wish:
KM should really introduce 2 separate, independant ID-commands for "Save As" and "Save into download folder" and/or "Save into last folder"

Posted by: chinarobin
Date: October 23, 2014 02:57AM

siria
Guess it's not a gecko thing, but a native KM feature, since the pref name starts with "kmeleon".
Meanwhile I've remembered that I did exactly what I suggested earlier (macro toggles pref, then saves) with the SaveToFolder-macro.

But I always had trouble with it, glitches, not sure why anymore, but think that auto-save-pref could not be toggled back until next page load. In the meantime a user could try to "Save As" other links from the same page and it wouldn't work.

Meanwhile I'm quite happy with using the normal SaveAs-command again but via mousegesture or the seamonkey-gestures-shortcut "Shift+Link". And realized that the bothersome part was just to every time search through that endless long context menu to find "SaveAs". Now with gesture or shortcut it's a snap, and hitting the OK-button again no big deal anymore. Still:

Improvement wish:
KM should really introduce 2 separate, independant ID-commands for "Save As" and "Save into download folder" and/or "Save into last folder"

you mean this? SaveToFolder-http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?9,116426

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.